Suspension Clunk slow speeds
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Suspension Clunk slow speeds in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hello Everyone, Does anyone else notice a very slight suspension clunk at very low speeds in parking lots? This clunk ...
    oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

Suspension Clunk slow speeds

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone else notice a very slight suspension clunk at very low speeds in parking lots? This clunk seems to be coming from the driver side. It is very slight and I only notice it around speeds 15 and below. I cant tell if its a stabilizer link, or maybe brake rattle, etc. After roughly 15mph there are 0 clunks and I can hit any type of bump, crack, etc and its completely quiet at those speeds.

For example the street my work is on is concrete and it has quite a few cracks. if I am driving 20-25 mph on it, no problems. When I get down to say 15 when I go over the cracks and expansion joints I get this noise. I also get the noise when there is a crack or expansion joint and I idle over it. But at speed no noise at all.

This might be normal, or I might be crazy as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: Suspension Clunk slow speeds

i notice that on mine

I have a feeling its the brakes. I can almost recreate the noise a little if I pulse the brake pedal. Sound seems to be from front driver.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Does anyone else notice a very slight suspension clunk at very low speeds in parking lots? This clunk seems to be coming from the driver side. It is very slight and I only notice it around speeds 15 and below. I cant tell if its a stabilizer link, or maybe brake rattle, etc. After roughly 15mph there are 0 clunks and I can hit any type of bump, crack, etc and its completely quiet at those speeds.

For example the street my work is on is concrete and it has quite a few cracks. if I am driving 20-25 mph on it, no problems. When I get down to say 15 when I go over the cracks and expansion joints I get this noise. I also get the noise when there is a crack or expansion joint and I idle over it. But at speed no noise at all.

oachalon,

Sincere apologies to read of your concerns with the suspension clunk. I understand that you're seeking thoughts and opinions, but send us a message if you want to take it a step further and get an official diagnosis. We will then reach out to a Customer Experience Manager at your desired dealer for additional assistance in these matters. If not, feel free to PM us your VIN so we can check our resources for any recalls.

William R.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Jaysonnguyen94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t luxury

I'm having the same issue with my ats, will be bringing it tomorrow to get it checked. Lets keep all of us posted.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

There was a TSB out for a steering wheel clunk for the ATS. Mine still does it at low speeds in the parking lot. I have a youtube video of it somewhere

Mine is definitely not steering clunk. I can hit a bump at slow speed without the brakes applied and i get the clunk, if I go over the same bump at the same speed with the brakes applied no clunk. I can almost recreate that same clunk by tapping the brake pedal multiple times. Its definitely coming from drivers front. I know my dealership for whatever reason did the TSB on brake squeal by applying grease to the back of the pad. It makes me wonder if they reinstalled the pads correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysonnguyen94 View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my ats, will be bringing it tomorrow to get it checked. Lets keep all of us posted.
    Sorry that you're experiencing similar concerns Jaysonnguyen94. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit and don't hesitate to contact us if necessary.

William R.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I have a feeling my anti rattle clip on that side probably lost tension or something when they removed the pads to add the grease. i will mention it on my next oil change visit.

Jaysonnguyen94, did you get an update from the dealership?

Jaysonnguyen94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t luxury

Sorry for the late reply guys. My local cadillac dealer is taking care of this issue. Apparently my front
    Suspension joints or something like that needed to be replaced. So they're replacing both sides front passenger and driver. It's kinda scary that my car only has 8k miles and I baby it. I was just told that it's a mass produced part so imperfections happen. The car should be ready for pick up on Monday, and I will keep everyone posted. If any of you are having this similar problem, i simply suggest you have it looked at rather than guessing because what we find on the web may be diverse. I thought it was probably just the bushings, but it wasn't.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Sorry that you're experiencing similar concerns Jaysonnguyen94. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit and don't hesitate to contact us if necessary.

William R.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you William

----------

Quote Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
    Hello Everyone,

You're not crazy because otherwise that would mean I'm also crazy. And my dealer confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysonnguyen94 View Post
    Sorry for the late reply guys. My local cadillac dealer is taking care of this issue. Apparently my front
    Suspension joints or something like that needed to be replaced. So they're replacing both sides front passenger and driver. It's kinda scary that my car only has 8k miles and I baby it. I was just told that it's a mass produced part so imperfections happen. The car should be ready for pick up on Monday, and I will keep everyone posted. If any of you are having this similar problem, i simply suggest you have it looked at rather than guessing because what we find on the web may be diverse. I thought it was probably just the bushings, but it wasn't.
    You're welcome,

Thank you as well for your update. We're confident the diagnosis will continue to go smoothly for you. Please be sure to let us know how it operates when you have it back.

Kind regards,

William R.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Im pretty sure mine is caused from the anti rattle clip or other pad clip installed backwards when they took my pads out for the TSB. I can recreate my noise at a standstill by pulsing the brakes quickly. I will have them fix that on next oil change.

winburne24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS '13

My wife has a 2013 2.0t AWD ATS and we encountered this same clunking sound at slow speeds. The sound started out very subtle and would only occur at slow speeds (which we thought we were being picky about), but the next time I drove my wifes car around 8k miles it was worse and could be heard at normal driving speeds. It was taken to the dealership where they did work similar to Jaysonnguyen94, replacing what they called a ball joint with a lot of slop along with other front suspension pieces. Overall it took the dealership over a week to diagnose and "fix" the problem although we didn't get a feeling of confidence from the tech that the issue was fixed. So now we are at 11k and the clunk is back, again gradually coming back over time. Right now you hear the clunk at slow speeds like parking lots and coming out of the driveway. One other new interesting sound is a creaking that we hear right before the car stops or initially when you hit the gas which sounds like it is coming from the front suspension. So I am waiting to get this back into the dealership again(they can't seem to locate a service car) to give them another try at fixing this. As you might imagine we are not happy paying over 40k for a car with these issues, when the suspension is one of Cadillac's major selling points. I would gladly speak to a Cadillac Customer rep on the phone if that is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by winburne24 View Post
    My wife has a 2013 2.0t AWD ATS and we encountered this same clunking sound at slow speeds. The sound started out very subtle and would only occur at slow speeds (which we thought we were being picky about), but the next time I drove my wifes car around 8k miles it was worse and could be heard at normal driving speeds. It was taken to the dealership where they did work similar to Jaysonnguyen94, replacing what they called a ball joint with a lot of slop along with other front suspension pieces. Overall it took the dealership over a week to diagnose and "fix" the problem although we didn't get a feeling of confidence from the tech that the issue was fixed. So now we are at 11k and the clunk is back, again gradually coming back over time. Right now you hear the clunk at slow speeds like parking lots and coming out of the driveway. One other new interesting sound is a creaking that we hear right before the car stops or initially when you hit the gas which sounds like it is coming from the front suspension. So I am waiting to get this back into the dealership again(they can't seem to locate a service car) to give them another try at fixing this. As you might imagine we are not happy paying over 40k for a car with these issues, when the suspension is one of Cadillac's major selling points. I would gladly speak to a Cadillac Customer rep on the phone if that is possible.
    Hi winburne24,

I apologize for the difficulties you have experienced with both the clunk noise and the frustrations of trying to have it fixed. If you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information, I would be happy to discuss this with you further. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.