More Base Radio rage - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, More Base Radio rage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by neows6 Yes its a base no CUE radio. No I'm currently under 4GB. 4GB is a lot ...
    marcjacal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD

Re: More Base Radio rage

Quote Originally Posted by neows6 View Post
    Yes its a base no CUE radio. No I'm currently under 4GB. 4GB is a lot of music.
    I don't think I'll get that high I'm using the Bluetooth to aux adapter very successfully for both Pandora and Google music. Plus with the Voice command in the car and google now (android siri) I just say "Voice" which puts my droid maxx into listen mode so I then say
    "Play artist song" and done.
    Bluetooth to Aux adapter? What's that? I've tried plugging in my phone to the aux port via the phones headphone port and it doesn't sound good at all. No volume and an audible hiss. How can I get this poorly designed radio (Base, non CUE) to stream music from my phone?

Thanks for any help

Philly82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 RWD Auto Black Raven

I too had this problem. I don't think it is a 4gb limit as much as a you can't fill completely or even mostly fill the SD card. I bought a 16 gb card and excitedly filled it up with music only to realize like many others that half of my music randomly disappeared. Then I started removing songs until it worked correctly. Eventually I ended up just buying another 16gb card and filling both cards half way up with music and they worked fine. Then I got tired of switching SD cards so I bought a used 32gb Ipod and haven't had any more problems. It is full and doesn't seem to have any problems at all. And as a plus the Ipod interface allows you to choose artist, playlist, genre, etc though the non-cue factory interface. I wish they would make the car compatible with Android as I am generally anti anything Apple. But it was worth the sacrifice for my music.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

OK, OK...
    Given that:
    1. You obviously want more than 4GB of music at your fingertips
    2. You're not getting that from a USB drive or SD card
    3. You're technically inclined
    4. You don't want this to be such a hassle...

Go with an external solution, like a used iPod, and use that as a controller. I even dropped ALL my audio (books and music) onto a 1TB external usb drive, plugged that into a pocket router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and ran that from under the passenger seat. Basically it gives you a wi-fi hot spot in your car with a virtual LAN sharing that big drive on your in-car network. Then with a tablet or your phone or whatever, you have whatever media you want and you can pump it through your car stereo either BT or aux. It worked well as a proof of concept. For way less than a replacement head unit, you could set this up or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    OK, OK...
    Given that:
    1. You obviously want more than 4GB of music at your fingertips
    2. You're not getting that from a USB drive or SD card
    3. You're technically inclined
    4. You don't want this to be such a hassle...

Go with an external solution, like a used iPod, and use that as a controller. I even dropped ALL my audio (books and music) onto a 1TB external usb drive, plugged that into a pocket router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and ran that from under the passenger seat. Basically it gives you a wi-fi hot spot in your car with a virtual LAN sharing that big drive on your in-car network. Then with a tablet or your phone or whatever, you have whatever media you want and you can pump it through your car stereo either BT or aux. It worked well as a proof of concept. For way less than a replacement head unit, you could set this up or something similar.
    So how do I plug an ipod into the car? Via aux, usb? How is that different than plugging in my phone via aux, which gives much poorer sound than from a SD card? Thanks for any help

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

I don't have an iPod but if it has bluetooth, you can do it that way, or just run a regular old-school 3.5mm jack from the iPod to the jack in the car. In my car that jack is in the arm rest, I think. I'm not at all sure why you'd have worse sound from your iPod via aux than you would from the SD card, providing the audio files are the same.

Don

sflowers539 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 AWD
    I had a similar issue, and after experimenting found out the 4GB thing was the issue. I split my music into a SD and a USB, below 4GB each, and that allows me to fit everything onto the radio, just on two different attachments. I did have luck with sorting though, I created a folder for every playlist on a desktop computer, and have some folders within folders, then loaded it into the SD and USB and the car does read it properly. So overall it took some effort but I have it generally working normal, but if you have 8GB+ of music you might be stuck. It is strange that the radio will just stop reading the media at a certain point though, so I did not think that solution would make sense but it appears to work.

I bought new speakers for the front only. Remember I have the base radio. They were Focal 5" and tweaters. They sound much cleaner. The sound shop said they were very "bright" and sure enough they are. I have to turn the treble down quite a bit. Another thing I find, and I haven't brought this back to the sound guys, but the bass, specifically from the sub woofer is out of control. I have to turn the fader all the way to the front. Even 1 notch over gives that horrible low end thump. I called them and they were surprised, didn't know what they could have done to do this and said bring the car into them. In the meantime, I had a Crossover a while ago and it had the same problem. I'm copying what worked very well for that car.

(I used to be a big car stereo enthusiast and have built a few pretty nice car audio systems in my time. What I have noticed about the Crossfire (non-base coupe) sound system is that it really isn't that bad... after one small modification is done. The problem IMO is that there is an absolute overabundance of low frequency energy in the 100-200 hertz range with no possibility for the bass control to get rid of… and no fader to control the relative volume of the subs to the rest of the system. I have personally found that I usually had the bass control at about -7 or -8 to reduce the mid-bass sloppiness that it exhibited (IMO, too much mid-bass is the single biggest issue that can make a sound system sound terrible). This "extra" bass energy is coming from the poorly crossed over door bass/mids. In fact, I suspect those bass/mids may be running straight up (or close to it) and contributing way too much energy in that range.

What I did was to install a 200 Hz high pass crossover in the form of a 200uF capacitor in series with the front speakers. Simple enough if you are a car stereo guy. This little mod does ABSOLUTE wonders to the system. I am absolutely amazed how much quality low frequency energy the subs actually produce. It was there before, but was being muddled by those front speakers and reduced in volume by my having to turn the bass control down so much to control the overzealous mid-bass. The new sound is rich and detailed in all the mid-bass frequencies, and the subs really nicely fill in the lower frequencies at just about the right crossover frequency. The subs do not produce "thumping" volumes, but the quality of the bass is quite good. Subjectively, I estimate that the system is easily producing 40 Hz at relatively good volume. It won't be enough for bass volume freaks, but the quality of the bass is pretty darn good, and I am all about the quality.

This overabundance of mid bass is probably the most common problem that most stock car stereos have. Manufacturers do this purposefully to help compensate for road noise, but it really mucks up the sound, especially in the relatively quiet Crossfire. Once this mod is done, in addition to the huge bass improvement, is that the midrange opens up and sounds so much more natural and smooth.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone interested in improving the sound quality, but really don't want to spend a lot. It may be just the ticket before resorting to a complete overhaul! It is pretty good bang for the buck mod and isn't too hard to do (depending on your skill set). I can't imagine a stereo shop charging more than about $100 for this mod.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.