Hold wheel straight, car slowly veers left
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Hold wheel straight, car slowly veers left in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I recently had my ATS at the dealer for service and inquired about the alignment because my wheel was a ...
    JSD13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hold wheel straight, car slowly veers left

I recently had my ATS at the dealer for service and inquired about the alignment because my wheel was a little off. They performed the alignment but I still have an issue where if I hold the wheel dead straight on a straight road, the car will gradually veer left. I know its not the road because I have done this over a couple days on various roadways. I don't think it's the alignment because when I let go of the wheel the car doesn't pull. I took a road test with someone from the dealership today to confirm what I was seeing but he said they cant center the wheel in these cars and the only option would be to adjust the camber to compensate. Anyone else have this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddy_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Re: Hold wheel straight, car slowly veers left

My alignment and wheel were off, I didn't take it to the dealer, just took it to an alignment shop and everything checked out afterwards, and I haven't had any pull since...

power_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Re: Steering wheel is straight, car slowly veers right

I would take it in and have them straighten it again, because it shouldn't have any pull.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Re: Steering wheel is straight, car slowly veers right

Get the alignment printout

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by JSD13 View Post
    I recently had my ATS at the dealer for service and inquired about the alignment because my wheel was a little off. They performed the alignment but I still have an issue where if I hold the wheel dead straight on a straight road, the car will gradually veer left. I know its not the road because I have done this over a couple days on various roadways. I don't think it's the alignment because when I let go of the wheel the car doesn't pull. I took a road test with someone from the dealership today to confirm what I was seeing but he said they cant center the wheel in these cars and the only option would be to adjust the camber to compensate. Anyone else have this issue?
    Hi JSD13,

I’m sorry that you are having issues with the alignment on your ATS. I know you are already working with a dealer to resolve this issue, but if you would like me to further address the issue just send me a PM with your VIN, contact, and dealer information. Best of luck.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

SCATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS- 2.0T/Man/Base/RWD/CUE/Blk/Blk
    Go to the dealer, tell them to realign your car with the steering wheel adjusted for "clear vision".. Or at least that's what we called it last time I worked in Vehicle Dynamics.. Also .. Sometimes new tires are built with a little conicity .. Which means they literally at conical across the tread, instead of purely cylindrical.. This can cause pull

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=12

Hope that helps

redhead_823 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T M6 RWD

They can't center the steering wheel? I call BS.
    All it requires is adjusting the tie rods on each side equal amounts to keep toe constant while shifting the steering rack relative to the wheels.

SCATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS- 2.0T/Man/Base/RWD/CUE/Blk/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead_823
    They can't center the steering wheel? I call BS. All it requires is adjusting the tie rods on each side equal amounts to keep toe constant while shifting the steering rack relative to the wheels.
    YES! Tell them to center the clear vision

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.