Found a way to get rid of ses light with down pipe
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoosier Daddy
  • 1 Post By sqkid89
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Found a way to get rid of ses light with down pipe in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Was trying to find the ho2 sims and no luck guess EPA pushed them into not selling any more. So ...
    lt1z350 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ats premium 2.0t 2008 cts 3.6 high feature d.i. forsale

no more ses light from down pipe and highflow cat w/o tune

Was trying to find the ho2 sims and no luck guess EPA pushed them into not selling any more. So those that can't tune it out I read on an s10 web site they are using the aluminum anti spark plug foulers. They are in the help section of any auto part store part number 42009.. From what I read the fouler is too small as either drill it out with a 1/2 drill or you have to slightly crimp the sensor end down a touch to get it to screw all the way down. So do one or the other to the fouler. then remove you ho2 sensor that was after the now missing cat or high flow cat. Screw the fouler to your sensor then screw the whole deal back in and clear the codes and thats it no more ses light due to no cat. It seems it is retaining the heat it would see from the cat in place that is how it works I went to an emissions school when I worked at Cadillac and to get certain certs and got to learn a lot about how things like that affect vehicles and how they will perform. All about warranty work and getting it done faster to cost the dealer less money.
    Anyway an easy fix and had I really thought about why it is triggering the light I could have come up with it as it is a simple way to trick the sensor into seeing the heat it is missing with the cat gone or the high flow letting too much exhaust pass too fast. So if not wanting to tune due to warranty and wanted the down pipe power then here you go.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Found a way to get rid of ses light with down pipe

I'd like to kill whoever invented pronouns. Your post has too many "it"s in it that I can't figure what the heck they refer to. LoL
    off1c3r likes this.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

A car should not run any differently if a P0420 code is showing unless a cat is clogged.

lt1z350 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ats premium 2.0t 2008 cts 3.6 high feature d.i. forsale

trust me it will I ran into this when working at the dealership. I worked at caddy for 5 years and data logging it makes the car run rich all the time as some people wouldnt spend the money when a cat went bad but complained about the affects of it. So punch it out and still running rich. SO something is causing it to go rich when that light is on. let me explain one thing to people that are not familiar with the dreaded ses light. It was called limp mode for a reason back in the day as once that thing comes on it no longer wants to switch from open to close loop and goes into a pre programed mode to just make the car run. It is no longer efficient no longer making max power. the affects are worst when you have a emissions type code some vehicles even have a set timing in them so really become dogs when the light is on. I dont think this has changed since 2005 when I quit that business. The worst I saw was the 1998-2001 camaro firebirds with off road y pipes. they killed the way it ran. It is with any vehicle and why it was called service engine soon the car sets up to get you to where you can go get it fixed and why cars that lose say cam sensors or crank sensors can still run without them. the programmed set of files make it work with a bum sensor.That second ho2 sensor is helping the car decide on fuel maps and a car that has a turbo can smash a ring if goes lean so think about it a little rich is the safe side so the pre programed failure program is going to run rich. It is pretty much common sense when you add it all up. You just have to know and understand how the system works once that damn light comes on. Just think limp mode your getting it home to get it fixed is there thought pattern.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

The ses replacement u cant buy anymore is a very simple fix If the cat is working the ouput of the 2nd O2 sensor will be a pretty steady 0.45 volts. That is easy to fake with a single chip so the ecm sees a fairly steady 0.45 volts. Higher or lower u see a code.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Since you have added a downpipe...tuning would be the next logical step, and you could easily deal with any codes.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Front O2 sensors are what determines fuel trims. Rear O2 sensors only purpose in life is to tell if the cat is functioning or not. I'm not knocking this is a good fix if you don't have access to a tuner (very common method), but your car will not go into limp mode due to a bad or missing rear oxygen sensor.
    nyinstaller likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.