spend my money and help me build up my 2013 ats what would you do to for more power?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, spend my money and help me build up my 2013 ats what would you do to for more power? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I just got a 2013 ats 2.0t for my wife to drive and wanting to wake it up as see ...
    lt1z350 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ats premium 2.0t 2008 cts 3.6 high feature d.i. forsale

spend my money and help me build up my 2013 ats what would you do to for more power?

I just got a 2013 ats 2.0t for my wife to drive and wanting to wake it up as see a lot of potential with it being turbo.
    I have a 1992 formula 383 single t76 turbo I built from the ground up. No kits so built my headers cold side did it all. I converted my computer to a gmc cyclone code 59 setup and did all my own tuning. 620 rwhp on 6 lbs and over 800 on 12 lbs so know a little about turbos and tuning stuff like that.
    I also have a 2007 tahoe that I got the tunercat stuff for and did all my tuning on that also so have learned tranny stuff and the newer style tables and torque management stuff. So debating if I should get the hp tuners or other tuning stuff and tackle it myself or just buy a good shelf tune or kit like pfdat g35 or vermont tuners set up with the larger ported stock turbo as seem to get really good numbers out of that setup.
    Looking to get around 350 to 400rwhp as like to see around 110 trap speeds in the quarter mile and mine is a rwd auto car. Wanting to get a down pipe, cold air, and larger intercooler if anyone makes one yet. I know that can help a lot where others use e85 or meth to cool the charge the larger intercooler can make a big difference as I went through all that on my firebird not going big enough at first on that setup and this one is heat washed by the radiator and condenser.
    Just looking for some guidance and guys that have done this already to possibly get me down the right road as I have read a lot of people having weird issues.
    I see dyno charts with low numbers then no one says anything about the extra rich fuel trim numbers at bottom of the sheet which is most likely adding to it not making a good number.My 92 made most power at 11.7 to 12.0 and I see some of these guys hitting around 10 and that is way too rich. I know being safe is good but too much fuel can puddle on the ring and kill it. So some of these companies trying to be safe are actually going to cause failures.
    I have been building race engines for years and had access to a dyno since the mid 90s when they first were seeing performance shops so been playing with wide band ho2 sensors and supercharged stuff a long time. Just some of this stuff is new and yet to mess with much small motor turbo stuff other than a nissan of a buddies with a 4 cyl turbo and no direct injection there we actually used tuner cat to do all that tuning but guessing this stuff is closer to what my truck is plus the boost tables which might be similar to my code 59 unless all maf based and no ve tables.
    Any way recommend your parts what you have why you like it or who you would use. I like the custom stuff and like to support the little guy when I can. I build transmissions for a living now so always into giving back to those that help me so if need help with something just ask. Looking forward to hearing what others have done or would do and remember my wife drives this to work during the week so I cant make it crazy or finicky. Thanks in advance for those that choose to get involved with my project....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

db_outlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: spend my money and help me build up my 2013 ats what would you do to for more pow

Let me be the first to say... I'm not going to read that dense block of words without some proper paragraphs.
    ben.gators, donavo and jsehlms like this.

Michael167 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

Re: spend my money and help me build up my 2013 ats what would you do to for more pow

Lol, what outlaw said. However, keep the stock airbox and swap out the intake tube then I'd try a downpipe and full exhaust but find as much info as possible. I dont know how much noise your wife is willing to deal with but those will get you off to a good start when you max out the torque limiters

Sorry did it on my phone rather than sitting down on the laptop I will revise it. Basically was saying I have been tuning a long time. I do my 2007 Tahoe with tunercat my turbo small block 92 firebird with code 59 (cyclone computer) and have done a lot of tunes for guys on thirdgen.org and been happy with the first chip I sent to know a lot about that stuff just not sure what is avaliable for the car yet. Saw hp tuners I guess has something.
    Like to get an intercooler and better piping if avaliable in past exp have seen good results with that when going up on boost.
    She will put up with noise my Tahoe has long tubes and no cats dual 3 inch exhaust that isn't an issue. I don't want to kill any driveability and have read some people with tunes having some weird problems.
    I had built my own custom cold air setup for my other car the 2008 cts so I guess If get a good tube can build the cold air part myself as the cone filters with no box will heat wash the air I had a a
    Sweet setup on the cts.
    I see someone is making stuff on here so should I go with their pipe? What brand is best? Same with down pipe.
    Just looking for some help so not making same mistakes others have by trying stuff. What I was hoping to do here is learn from others mistakes and will be glad to share what I find out. I can use a dyno for free pretty often so can pass on some useful stuff. I was selling my lt1 and l98 chips but be glad to share anything I learn in tuning if go that route. Tried to break this up some but again on the phone at work so hope easier to figure me out. Lol thanks

I'd say intake/dowpipe/exhaust/tune; normal bolt-on's. As far as vendors are concerned, I can only comment on Pfadt. You can read my p35 review. I think with any canned tune though, it's best to get a custom tune to avoid any "detuning" to sell more higher end kits. Generally when a kit is designed, it's gains are stated but then the tune gets "re-worked" to provide a "safer tune across all customers" which equates to lost performance.

Ideally I'd like 400awhp on my ATS4 but will settle for mid 300s. To get that, I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace my turbo. We'll see where I'm at after Friday (custom tune + p35 kit). Would love to see 300whp but don't expect much more than Pfadt's advertised numbers. I'll settle for their numbers atm; which I'm not getting with their tune.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I saw 400 HP and 110 mph in a sea of text.

Things are early in the game. Stock turbo results from the tuner have been disappointing and the DIY tuning community isn't very active (at least on the HPT board or this one), so finding published tuning help for the ATS is tough to come by.

You'll probably need a turbo upgrade like the VT kit or the P45 if you want 400 HP at the wheels. I believe that 400 HP at the engine is possible with meth and bolt-ons or maybe a bigger I/C instead of meth. Meth and bolt-ons, or bolt-ons and a bigger I/C may be enough to get the 110 trap speed.

IhuntV8 is working a bigger I/C and makes some sweet looking piping. It is only a matter of time before he makes a complete package. Maybe your cash can encourage his efforts.
    I got my intake tube and catch can from him.

I already know my custom HP Tuners tune will be locked from the shop so I'll be no help for the DIYers.

Michael167 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

Can't wait for that bigger intercooler, Ihuntv8 is really putting some stuff out and as for DIY tuning I'd be hesitant. I'm currently struggling even with Torque South tuning helping me.

What I have seen so far on the few posted dyno sheets that have afr on it is these tunes are very rich. Looks like 10.0 or around that. I know my 92 was very happy at 11.7 to 12.4 afr. Made most power at 12.4 most torque at 11.7 a little richer. So my exp I would say a tune that is closer to 10.0 10.5 is going to be off at least 15-20 hp and where these box tunes can be falling short. Trying to over compensate with fuel to be safe maybe but I have personal exp where that is worse than too lean. Fuel puddles on rings ignites and buckles the ring land.
    I went through all that with hypertech with a heads and cam in a 94 z28 that I also ran nitrous on. Back and forth to Tennessee 12 times trying to get the car to run right just miserable and why I started doing it myself when tunercat got the software.
    I have done besides my own turbo firebird a few Buick grand Nats and a few boosted ls1 cars but they ran off a 3 bar maf and the tables I am sure will be way different than a computer set up to run boost. So have a little exp tuning on a turbo efi car. Would be nice to get with someone that is already doing it to share what tables are making the greatest difference. Sure zeroing all the torque management to start will help. Going to email tunercat to see if they have the bin file yet and if not I guess hp tuners is only other choice.

As far as the turbo I really like the way vt is doing it stock housing used bigger impeller so less to look at showing the car is heavily modded. Plus it is quite a bit cheaper then going with a new turbo and a exhaust manifold. I would like to find someone that has there stuff on a car and how happy they are with it. I hate to go e85 as gas mileage tanks and meth seems like a headache to keep up with so where the large ic would be nice.
    Does someone stock the intakes and down pipes now? Like to get them first and soon. I was going to build the intake I have a welder all that stuff like I had said in that mess up top I build my whole setup on my 92 firebird from scratch hot and cold sides. Bought pipe from summit and header kits and went at it. The fact the maf is built into the lid is where I see the issue just building a pipe setup for it as not sure how finicky this stuff is to changes.
    I am all about trying things to see what works but if someone has it proven and really likes it then I will gladly just go that route.
    I am in Jacksonville Florida if anyone is around me and has some work done I can check out. I will edit the original post this evening on my computer so can understand and actually read it.

I had to wait 2 weeks for my p35 kit. I know there's a wait for VT's frankenturbo as well.

I also like the idea of beefing up the stock turbo's internals to keep a stock looking engine bay. I also want to avoid e85 for mpgs as well as steer clear of meth injection. I did that with my last car and it's a hassle.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

You buy downpipes from Pfadt and VT. I bought the Pfadt DP, but haven't put it on yet. IHuntV8 was working on one, not sure if it is ready because he is supporting Corsa's efforts.
    Intakes are available from IhuntV8, VT, and Pfadt.
    EFILive software also works with the ATS.

Bolt-ons are worthless without the tuning software as the TM will prevent them from adding any real power.

I dont have any exp with either efilive or hp tuners so does any one recommend one of the other? I checked with tunercat since I have all the canbus stuff already for tuning and nothing back yet on it but not on the web site so maybe in the works. That way would only be 80 bucks for me as I have invested in all the other stuff and just buy each def file for the vehicles as I need them which is nice. I believe the others are vin set per vehicle? so one tune per car? that is the nice thing about tunercat I can do as many vehicles as I want once get the software. But not into waiting a long time to get it if the other stuff is reasonable.
    So now I guess I start shopping the stuff and see what they cost and compare as sure they all perform the same.
    Also will a high flow cat keep the rear ho2 sensor happy? I hate ses lights for stupid stuff like no cat and sure can tune it out once get that. Also those that dont have that option casper electronics makes these plug in resistors that fools the computer into seeing a cat on it they were 80 bucks each and keeps your ses light off with no cat if cant tune it out your self. easy way around all that for pretty cheap.
    Bet it sounds better with cat gone and possibly a little more hp over a highflow one can anyone comment on both setup?
    Going to pm IHuntv8 and see what can do for me or if has anything built and ready to sell.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    I saw 400 HP and 110 mph in a sea of text.

Things are early in the game. Stock turbo results from the tuner have been disappointing and the DIY tuning community isn't very active (at least on the HPT board or this one), so finding published tuning help for the ATS is tough to come by.

You'll probably need a turbo upgrade like the VT kit or the P45 if you want 400 HP at the wheels. I believe that 400 HP at the engine is possible with meth and bolt-ons or maybe a bigger I/C instead of meth. Meth and bolt-ons, or bolt-ons and a bigger I/C may be enough to get the 110 trap speed.

IhuntV8 is working a bigger I/C and makes some sweet looking piping. It is only a matter of time before he makes a complete package. Maybe your cash can encourage his efforts.
    I got my intake tube and catch can from him.
    The catch can you got is the sole purpose to keep the oil out of the intake? I know it can cause detonation in turn pulling timing. I know on my old nitrous stuff we went to lengths to tighten engine specs for less blow by in turn keep oil out of the chamber to keep away detonation which is a pistons worst enemy when using nitrous especailly if pushing the timing and not using a very cold plug.
    I did see another vendor selling a nice setup for 299 just not sure if worth it or not on this car as not very exp with how much blow by it is having my car only has 300 miles on it so clean so far still. My firebird pushes nothing but only on 12 lbs max when it is turned up so no where near the pressure on the rings to cause the blow by on it.

----------

I cleaned up that mess up top now that home on the computer. One thing I didnt mention is I work for a huge transmission company and we build everything here. We have dynos and build our own torque converters. I have got with the wizz that does our race stuff and working on coming up with a stall for my car. So far checking the stall on other engine codes to see if any run a looser setup.
    Like my tahoe it is around 1800 stall factory pretty tight. But the trailblazer with the 4.2 runs a 2200-2400 stall and behind the v8 I see close to 2800 on a flash. So a nice easy way to get more punch out of the hole on my heavy truck.
    On the ats sure it will let it spool a little more before launch as I run a 3400 precisions industries vig in my firebird and it helps it get boost out of the hole and way better 60 foots at the track.
    On the street it will help it spool quicker from a dig. Another trick is a two step rev limiter that makes full boost we did that on the all wheel drive talons and vr4 all wheel drive to get some nasty 60 foots on them. So once I get something interesting on it I will pass it on.
    I have a couple 6l50 cores I am going to build up and keep around we get them pretty cheap from lkq with no miles and bellhousings swap between some so if the 4 cyl (prob is ) different than the 3.6 bolt pattern.
    I am assuming it is a 6l50 that is what our books say anyway but the turbo car may have got a better version sort of like how the ctsv got a better build up over the corvette and camaro 6 speed autos.
    Just something I was going to try to work on as know it did well in my firebird over a tighter converter I had in it prior to the turbo build.

Johnm05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Just stay away from PFADT!!!!! I bought there P35 package and was disappointed. Took it to the track and got 14.01. Shaved about .4 which is good but it's no were near 367hp they advertise. Feels more like 290-300. Confronted them and send a data log and it been a couple of weeks no answer. Customer service was great at first until I called them out.

Currently using Vermot. Running e85,dt and Vtune. Data log showed 320hp and 350torque. Also pulls hard at top which a lot of people complain about, so it fixed that. Will do a 1/4 pass tonight and will post the times later. By the way I have data log 5 different times and Brian only takes a few hours and at most 24 to get back to you. I also order the bigger turbo and just waiting on it. So far Vtuner is awesome and truthful about power. Also will tell you boost # unlike PFADT. And the car is flex fuel so no need to worry about e85 when not available.

Hope that helps if you are deciding between them both!!!!

Where was this post when I was looking to buy my p35 kit!

I had pretty much the same experience albeit I had slightly longer/better customer service. I was able to take 4 logs before they cut me off. Definitely over advertise their gains. I'm running 240whp/260wtq... a far cry from advertised. Hence I am getting a custom tune tomorrow.

I really wanted the p45 kit and possibly their exhaust, given my experiences with them, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnm05 View Post
    Just stay away from PFADT!!!!! I bought there P35 package and was disappointed. Took it to the track and got 14.01. Shaved about .4 which is good but it's no were near 367hp they advertise. Feels more like 290-300. Confronted them and send a data log and it been a couple of weeks no answer. Customer service was great at first until I called them out.
    Hope that helps if you are deciding between them both!!!!

Ihuntv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13ATS AWD, 14CTS-AWD

Lt1 your inbox isn't receiving messages. Email me back at
    Trsfabrication@gmail.com or
    Ihuntv8turbo@gmail.com
    Thanks Trent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.