Need HELP Throttle closing on 2013 ATS rwd 2.0t
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael167
  • 1 Post By Ragtop 99
  • 1 Post By dirty south
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Need HELP Throttle closing on 2013 ATS rwd 2.0t in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; The second picture is of the previous tune I was running with no throttle closing issue. The first is the ...
    Michael167 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

Need HELP Throttle closing on 2013 ATS rwd 2.0t

The second picture is of the previous tune I was running with no throttle closing issue. The first is the frame at which my throttle closed on the new tune which upped the boost and I'm pretty certain its the desired boost holding the throttle shut when actual boost surpasses it. A friend and I have tried a dozen things to up desired boost but same issue. If anyone has run into this issue I'd love some feedback, I'm not asking for a company's trade secrets I'm looking for some guidance in the right direction. I'm running an intake, down pipe and muffler delete. I don't believe any of which is actually causing the problem.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ihuntv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13ATS AWD, 14CTS-AWD

Re: Need HELP Throttle closing on 2013 ATS rwd 2.0t

Your not requesting enough power in driver demand table or knock airmass, pressure delta is shutting throttle blade

----------

Email me file and I will look at map and see if I can point you in right direction.
    Ihuntv8turbo@gmail.com
    Thanks Trent

Hey thank you Ihuntv8! I will look into this right away, also I remember Trent sending me some info on a catch can. I'm very interested and also in the hard tube after the intercooler with a spot for water/meth injection. Looked very nice from what I saw

----------

OMG you are TRENT!
    Ihuntv8 likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

The ATS running 14.3 @ 96 mph is basically stock results. Is the car making any more torque than stock on a consistent basis? In the area of the torque spike, were you normally running say 300 ft-lbs?
    Ihuntv8 likes this.

There is several different variables that can be causing throttle blade to shut, those are couple of things that can be limiting you.

dirty south Guest

I'm really excited to be watching and learning from this thread...Witnessing the early days on the 2.0T ATS tuning...

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Based on our first run using this logging system (totally stock) we were consistently running 40-50 ft-lb above stock with intake, downpipe, muffler delete and tune with a spike of 310 ft-lb when we started playing with duty cycle to build boost earlier we had a problem of it overtaking desired and the monster spike of 335 came up. Don't go too hard on me lol I've been tuning for about a month now and my friend who is guiding me has about 8 years experience with GM cars but we're both stuck at the moment. His Buick verano t is experiencing the same thing and I figure its ECM related because they share the E39a. Dirty South, this is a huge learning experience for me as well.

TORQUE SOUTH Tuning is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): past '07 CTS Premium 3.6, currently tuning several ATS 2.0Ts

And, here I am!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    The ATS running 14.3 @ 96 mph is basically stock results. Is the car making any more torque than stock on a consistent basis? In the area of the torque spike, were you normally running say 300 ft-lbs?
    If you are referring to my run that was in a Buick Verano. The Buick Verano I own is a FWD very heavy car with an older more laggy LHU engine and 3.23 gears. I believe most are in the very low 15s stock. In addition to that on my 14.3 @ 96 pass I only trapped 74 MPH in the 1/8. I normally trap 77+ MPH at the local 1/8 mile track (9.1 second ET), so the car may have a high 13 in it even with the throttle blade at 40% for 75% of the entire run.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ihuntv8 View Post
    Your not requesting enough power in driver demand table or knock airmass, pressure delta is shutting throttle blade

----------

Email me file and I will look at map and see if I can point you in right direction.
    Ihuntv8turbo@gmail.com
    Thanks Trent
    Trent, are you able to look at the file in EFILive format? In that case I will e-mail it immediately.

----------

I would be more than glad to post any specific data that is needed, basically this has been an ongoing problem for me with my Verano ever since I was forced to up the wastegate duty cycle table settings to regain the car's balls - it lost them ALL after exhaust and intake. I originally only wanted a downpipe since I knew that would help a lot without messing anything up and also give me the opportunity to add a bung for a WBO2 sensor. We were unable to fabricate a downpipe at the time, so I decided to spring for a full midpipe and a full custom intake. I knew the midpipe would be noisy and have minimal gains, but I did not expect to lose all boost and torque. I then realized that drive pressure, velocity, pulses were affected and I now must take on the challenge of some serious tuning to get back to running at or slightly higher than stock power levels. With much hard work and without any help from the pros (like the only 2 or 3 that exist in the world that work on E39A) I was able to get the power back and run a personal best of 9.10 @ 77.3 in the 1/8 mile. That is a serious time for a Verano and enough to beat up most challengers. I then added a full cold air intake with a one of a kind custom mass air flow sensor (no one makes parts for Verano) and this once again COMPLETELY screwed up the tune. I had to add more boost and the car started really flying at near 30 psi boost and zero problems with detonation or any other issue at all except the throttle closing all the time.

Michael's car is now having the same issue. It is a very similar engine and turbo and mods, and literally identical E39A Engine Control Module. His car ran rough with his mods and no tune, so I smoothed it out and blocked the codes that were setting the MIL and it was fine. This is when it was running smooth and making 309 (accurately measured) lb-ft torque. He wanted more power so I added boost and now we have the same issue with the throttle closing.

Yes my other laptop has efi live, AEM, and other tuning software on it.

Trsfabrication@gmail.com
    Ihuntv8turbo@gmail.com

Damn! It happened to me on my last tune. Both times it was up in the 4700 - 5200 rpm range. There is some good news because the car was making over 350 ft-lbs when it happen.

Both time it occurred when the MAP hit 250 kPa. I haven't raised the stock limit of 250 so I'm going to add 10 kPA on my next tune. I'm also seeing a little knock in the high rpms, so I'm going to richen up the P/E by a tad.

Hot Rod Joe is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Manual STD

Do you know what the HP limits are on the fuel pump or injectors? Did GM size the fuel system for E85? Can your read the injector timing. Not sure how GM does it. I think Ford uses a open time in mS.

sonny@bnr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Brake tq limit is holding your ats back

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod Joe View Post
    Do you know what the HP limits are on the fuel pump or injectors? Did GM size the fuel system for E85? Can your read the injector timing. Not sure how GM does it. I think Ford uses a open time in mS.
    Duty cycles were very low on the injectors when I logged them, but this is the first DI car I've worked with. Judging by the fact that VT E85 + frankenturbo kit and the P45 kit do not say they include injectors or a boost a pump, I'd say there is plenty of room for a tune + intake and exhaust mods.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny@bnr View Post
    Brake tq limit is holding your ats back
    I had moved mine up to 380 ft-lbs, but I noticed that the torque spike hit that twice on a recent log and coincided with the throttle closing down. I'm going to bump it to 400 ft-lbs. I've also noticed manifold pressure is greater than desired boost by 15 - 20 kPa when this occurs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.