Mucho Temporary Lag
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLA
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Mucho Temporary Lag in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have noticed in this very cold weather, that when I go WOT in 2nd gear on my 2.0 6spd, ...
    Limitedslip5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Radiant Silver

Mucho Temporary Lag

I have noticed in this very cold weather, that when I go WOT in 2nd gear on my 2.0 6spd, their is a lot of lag, turbo doesn't hit till 4000 rpms. This only happens when I first
    start going, but after a few miles the car boost normally closer to 2000 rpms. Has anyone seen this on their 2.0?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Mucho Temporary Lag

no but I've noticed in the 2.0 m/t when its REALLY cold out for the first 1km of driving when I go to shift the RPMS wont drop... they'll just hang and drop so deathly slow it's painful.. have you noticed THAT in your manual when its really cold? (I'm assuming manual as you said 6spd)

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

I have not noticed any problem with turbo lag in very cold weather. I wonder if there was a temporary glitch in the engine software. To the contrary, turbos create more power in cold weather, because of the denser air and the colder intake temperatures. I have noticed (and enjoyed) this phenomenon many times over the years in various Saab turbos and now in the ATS. It would be interesting to ascertain the difference on a dyno,but I would estimate maybe as much as 10 extra HP at 20 degrees compared with 70 degrees.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    Aren't you guys taking it easy on cold starts until the car warms up? I drive real careful until it warms up so Idk if I'd even notice these things. But it's possible I have them too

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

well I am taking it easy, I'll roll up to 3k rpm in second, put the clutch in and the damn RPMS wont come down! it only happens when it's like Hoth cold out though

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Limitedslip5150 View Post
    I have noticed in this very cold weather, that when I go WOT in 2nd gear on my 2.0 6spd, their is a lot of lag, turbo doesn't hit till 4000 rpms. This only happens when I first
    start going, but after a few miles the car boost normally closer to 2000 rpms. Has anyone seen this on their 2.0?
    You shouldn't be getting into high boost until all the fluids are warmed up. That means the oil, coolant, and trans. There's a high probability the ecu is at work here doing its job.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelius View Post
    I would estimate maybe as much as 10 extra HP at 20 degrees compared with 70 degrees.
    10hp conservatively. I'd say more like 20-25. It usually takes an increase of about 15hp in a 1.5ish ton vehicle to feel anything. Our stock ATS pulls like its tuned in these frigid temps.
    exbagboy likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    10hp conservatively. I'd say more like 20-25. It usually takes an increase of about 15hp in a 1.5ish ton vehicle to feel anything. Our stock ATS pulls like its tuned in these frigid temps.
    You are probably feeling a brief torque spike and the turbo spooling a bit faster, but no consistent gain in HP will be present after the turbo gets torque to where the ECM wants it. The engine compares its output to a maximum torque limit, which is right around what the car is rated for. When power exceeds the threshold, it will start reducing wastegate duty cycle to reduce the boost and get power back where GM wants it. As long as the post intercooler air temp stays below 104*where the ECM can start to pull timing, the car should be pretty consistent.

I have similar memories of both NA and boosted cars running really strong on a 30* with a high barometer. Torque management sucks for the old days of simply bolting something on and going faster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.