2014 2.0T Automatic Stall
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2014 2.0T Automatic Stall in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Just had 2 stalls back to back today for the first time. However, its slightly different than the other reported ...
    off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

2014 2.0T Automatic Stall

Just had 2 stalls back to back today for the first time. However, its slightly different than the other reported stalls for the automatic or some manuals.

I just finished fueling, and I was leaving the gas station. Rolling to a stop around 5mph, the rpm just went to zero, but the push button start button was still green and there were no error lights on the dash. I pushed to restart, and it cranked for a while. It seemed like it was struggling to start. It didn't start. I pushed it again, and it started, only to go right back to zero rpm and give no power. I then pushed to start again. It took a little longer to crank again, and then it started, and no issue after. I called OnStar. No codes came their way.

I'm going to dealer tomorrow.

2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
    2800 Miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Re: 2014 2.0T Automatic Stall

Double check your gas cap is sealed tight. I've seen it trigger codes and create problems on other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    Double check your gas cap is sealed tight. I've seen it trigger codes and create problems on other cars.
    When I finished fueling, I did make sure the cap was in correctly and I turned until I heard the click. I know it might throw an error light if the cap wasn't on right, but to make the engine shut off completely? And, it didn't happen again after the 3rd restart? I hope its that simple.

I hear ya, it was a long shot.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

He got everything EXCEPT an error code.

Java Girl, I've seen it cause fuel pressure problems w/o throwing a code. I've seen it trigger the EVAP code without any perceived impact on driving. Hopefully this clears up any confusion you had in reading my post.

I'm at the dealer now. I re-read the manual stall thread and I saw one user who had the auto have a similar issue. He stalled right after fueling to full like me and that it had to do with an evap sensor. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong and can't do anything without a TSB.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Java Girl, I've seen it cause fuel pressure problems w/o throwing a code. I've seen it trigger the EVAP code without any perceived impact on driving. Hopefully this clears up any confusion you had in reading my post.
    Thanks, Ragtop. I have seen codes on other cars because the gas cap was not on tight enough, but it did not cause any problems with how the car drove. However, I never would have dreamed that a loose gas cap could actually cause an engine to sputter, let alone die.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Here’s another thought off1c3r, was your fuel tank near empty when you refilled? It may have been possible (coincidental) that you had dirt or water in your tank from a previous fill-up that entered the fuel system as you were stopping for gas. Good luck. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    Thanks, Ragtop. I have seen codes on other cars because the gas cap was not on tight enough, but it did not cause any problems with how the car drove. However, I never would have dreamed that a loose gas cap could actually cause an engine to sputter, let alone die.
    Agreed. Even the tech said if it was an issue like that, it should have thrown a code. However, I'm not discounting it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Here’s another thought off1c3r, was your fuel tank near empty when you refilled? It may have been possible (coincidental) that you had dirt or water in your tank from a previous fill-up that entered the fuel system as you were stopping for gas. Good luck. Bert
    It was down to about 2 gallons, so yeah pretty empty. What you're saying is possible. It would be consistent with the engine struggling to start. However, to not even throw up a code with the engine shutting down completely? That's insane to me in this day. Years ago I had a 99 Tahoe that used to randomly not re-start. Sometimes after waiting a few minutes to 20 min between cranks, it worked. Sometimes, it had to be towed. Long story short, dropped the gas tank, and it had sand in it that was going through the fuel lines into the engine. While I don't think that's happening now.. it just has me wondering about my fuel system. I've always used 91 or 93 octane from either BP, Sunoco, or Shell.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    I recently (yesterday) had an issue with a loaner I had while my vehicle was in for service having the same issue.

Stop to get gas, leave car running, when I got back into the car after filling the engine was off.. Restarted however it took a while, then it sputtered and died. Tried again, same thing. Then I gave it gas to keep it running and attempted to drive it, it ran like shit, sputtered and died!..
    After doing this a handful of times I free revved it for a while, brake torqued it to give it load, etc.. After about 5 minutes the car ran and drove fine..
    The vehicle still had over half a tank, and no codes were thrown because of this. I told the dealer, they listened but nothing too much. Considering I'm the lead (as I'll say) on getting the manual stalling fixed (my car was there for removal of recorder, updated GM calibration) they probably think I'm just crazy.

I've NEVER had this issue with any of the 5 or so loaners that I've had and also never with my own vehicle.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    I recently (yesterday) had an issue with a loaner I had while my vehicle was in for service having the same issue.

Stop to get gas, leave car running, when I got back into the car after filling the engine was off.. Restarted however it took a while, then it sputtered and died. Tried again, same thing. Then I gave it gas to keep it running and attempted to drive it, it ran like shit, sputtered and died!..
    After doing this a handful of times I free revved it for a while, brake torqued it to give it load, etc.. After about 5 minutes the car ran and drove fine..
    The vehicle still had over half a tank, and no codes were thrown because of this. I told the dealer, they listened but nothing too much. Considering I'm the lead (as I'll say) on getting the manual stalling fixed (my car was there for removal of recorder, updated GM calibration) they probably think I'm just crazy.

I've NEVER had this issue with any of the 5 or so loaners that I've had and also never with my own vehicle.
    Filling the tank while the engine is running is illegal for safety reasons where I live and places I've traveled to. And modern cars definitely can have fits when the cap is off while the engine is running so that may be all there is to it. You may have just been lucky in the past.
    jsehlms likes this.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Filling the tank while the engine is running is illegal for safety reasons where I live and places I've traveled to. And modern cars definitely can have fits when the cap is off while the engine is running so that may be all there is to it. You may have just been lucky in the past.
    Gotcha.. I could give two shits that it's illegal or not.. Explain to me how it is any more dangerous pumping flammable liquid with the engine running or not?.. The only real concern (which has nothing to do with the engine) is a spark happening when touching the metal pump to the metal filler neck.

Sorry for a derailment here, to each their own.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Gotcha.. I could give two shits that it's illegal or not.. Explain to me how it is any more dangerous pumping flammable liquid with the engine running or not?.. The only real concern (which has nothing to do with the engine) is a spark happening when touching the metal pump to the metal filler neck.

Sorry for a derailment here, to each their own.
    I didn't mean to imply you were a menace to society. But if you are doing things outside the norm that will affect how many can comment one way or another about your issue based on their experiences. I have no idea how many people fill their tanks with the engine running but assumed it wasn't many just based on not seeing a reason to where and how I drive. Maybe its real common in freezing cold or some other conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I didn't mean to imply you were a menace to society. But if you are doing things outside the norm that will affect how many can comment one way or another about your issue based on their experiences. I have no idea how many people fill their tanks with the engine running but assumed it wasn't many just based on not seeing a reason to where and how I drive. Maybe its real common in freezing cold or some other conditions.
    I'll admit, I'm guilty of fueling while the car is on. Its just been habit for all my vehicles, and its never caused an issue in the past. I'll take what happened to me as a lesson to start turning off my car during fueling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.