Where tap power for aftermarket amp
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Where tap power for aftermarket amp in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I opened the trunk, found the battery and only see the negative terminal. How do I get to the positive ...
    CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

Where tap power for aftermarket amp

I opened the trunk, found the battery and only see the negative terminal. How do I get to the positive terminal to attach my amp power wire OR where else might I tap the power wire. I know others have installed there aftermarket subs and I have everything else done except how to get power. I appreciate any info on this as I am out of patience and skin on my knuckles (kind of like the HID conversion but thats done and works great so hopefully lightning will strike twice here). Any pics also appreciated! I tried looking for info on this but didnt find any, if there already is a post, please then post a link to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Where tap power for aftermarket amp

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACATS2013 View Post
    I opened the trunk, found the battery and only see the negative terminal. How do I get to the positive terminal to attach my amp power wire OR where else might I tap the power wire. I know others have installed there aftermarket subs and I have everything else done except how to get power. I appreciate any info on this as I am out of patience and skin on my knuckles (kind of like the HID conversion but thats done and works great so hopefully lightning will strike twice here). Any pics also appreciated! I tried looking for info on this but didnt find any, if there already is a post, please then post a link to it.
    Look under the hood in front of the passenger side shock tower. There is a red plastic cap over a positive post. Don't know where to get access in the trunk.

I know about the positive post under the hood but thanks, I just find it hard to believe that with a battery in the trunk, I have to run a power wire from the front of the car to the trunk...Does that sound crazy or is it just me?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACATS2013 View Post
    I know about the positive post under the hood but thanks, I just find it hard to believe that with a battery in the trunk, I have to run a power wire from the front of the car to the trunk...Does that sound crazy or is it just me?
    People have added amps so maybe one will post where they got power from in the trunk.

Hopefully, only thing I can think of is to gut the trunk lining. Not sure how to do that either.

Michael167 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

This is something I'd like to know as well, Cadillacats2013. Also, what did you tap for remote and single wire? I've hear a few option but I'm not sure which is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael167 View Post
    This is something I'd like to know as well, Cadillacats2013. Also, what did you tap for remote and single wire? I've hear a few option but I'm not sure which is easier.
    I am doing the easiest install possible which is not the best but will work for my needs. If you are looking to do a serious upgrade then my install is not for you. What I did was simply run speaker to rca wires attached to the bose subwoofer in rear deck and ran the rca's in the liner across and then down the side staying in the trim (used the drivers side so could open the panels to get access). then put the amp in the cargo pocket under the cargo floor cover. The amp has ability to accept high or low level signals and convert to bass as well as option to remote turn on using the signal from the rca input so no need for separate remote turn on wire (or high - low converter). Then I ran the speaker wire from the amp under the cargo floor board to the edge between floor and backseat and that is where I put the preloaded sub/enclosure. I connected the ground wire from the amp to the bolt that the foam cargo holder screws down to. I just have to run the power wire and was hoping to connect to the battery which looks like it is not easily accessible.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 3.6

All you need to do is take the PANEL off on that side to get to the whole battery. There might be on that side 8 to 10 push in pins. Could be less. It's been awhile since I did mine. Run the wire through the fuse block entry on that side.or make a whole through the cover or leave it off like I do. You don't want to run a wire from under the hood. It's to far for nothing. The shorter and bigger the wire the better. Battery in the truck was the best thing they did. I have 0 gauge on mine. Getting a remote wire is another story unless you already have one. And disconnecting the Boise PILOT Noise canceling is also another thing you will need to do.

When you get done it sounds good. Don't need a big amp to have it sound good. I do have a 1600 watt Kappa and a 15in sub in mine. Over kill for most. I normally have more but I wanted to keep it light.

I used to be an installer back in the day. If you need just ask me more. I'll do my best to explain.

greezychef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

yes^ its all accessable from the trunk. the factory amp is on the right rear fender well. thats where i mounted my line out converter. i went with the audio control lc7. for amps i am running a RF t1500 and a RF p300. Lots of power and it doesnt drain on the battery at all. all in all i got about an 1800 watt system. btw i got 2 re audio 10's on the 1500 and a set of RF t3 components on the p300. very happy with the sound. prolly applied about 15 sqaure feet of hush mat in the trunk as well.

----------

the best thing i did to make my system sound good was to go to work on the rear dash. removed the rear sub, sound deadened everything and actually removed the rear middle seat belt as well. that rear dash on mine made terrible noise. sounds great now though.

Are you're subs facing back, or up? I have mine facing up right under the back deck so that bracing helps with rattle some. It does flex like hell though. Like a heart beat. 2 to 3 inches at times. Nice to watch but I pray it doesn't blow out my rear window.

Michael167 I used a wire off a sensor on the right side in the truck. It's up on the inner quarter panel. White in color (sensor). The wire might have been purple but not sure. There might be 3 there I don't remember sensors. Use a test light and start poking in the harness. I found no other one in the trunk. Not even on the amp on the same side. Running a wire from the front fuse box will be to much hassle. And I couldn't find a switched power in the fuse box in the trunk either.

greezychef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    Are you're subs facing back, or up? I have mine facing up right under the back deck so that bracing helps with rattle some. It does flex like hell though. Like a heart beat. 2 to 3 inches at times. Nice to watch but I pray it doesn't blow out my rear window.
    mine are facing back. theres about 2 inches of clearance between top of box and rear deck.

Same here thats why the deck flexes so much with mine facing up. Good to see someone else has some bangs in the ATS. Thought everyone was to conservative here.
    Quote Originally Posted by greezychef View Post
    mine are facing back. theres about 2 inches of clearance between top of box and rear deck.

Michael167 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t

Thanks for the info duneless!

Anytime. Whatever I can help with I will. What I have learned about the car is just from digging around at it. I like to know how things work. Problem of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael167 View Post
    Thanks for the info duneless!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.