Where tap power for aftermarket amp - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Where tap power for aftermarket amp in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Is there anything holding that amp in place? How about those leads to the factory sub?...
    sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Re: Where tap power for aftermarket amp

Is there anything holding that amp in place? How about those leads to the factory sub?

CADILLACATS2013 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

The amp had 4 holes to screw down so it is screwed down to styrofoam (it aint going anywhere)...leads to sub help in by spring clamps

Well I finally couldn't take it anymore and broke down and cut the three red wires to the mic's. Didn't take long to do it but I tried to go without cutting the wires. The booming from the trunk was simply just too much of an annoyance. It wasn't that it was too loud, it was just that I could always hear it even without the radio on, soooooo that's the end of that. Now its on to my DRL project which I am on the fence between aftermarket or OEM for the lower bumper brake duct covers.Any suggestions out there?

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 (BD 8/12)

You finally did it? and now silence? Mine sounded like I had a v8. It was like night and day after I did it. After my install it took a day and I cut the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    You finally did it? and now silence? Mine sounded like I had a v8. It was like night and day after I did it. After my install it took a day and I cut the wires.
    Yea well yours sounded like a V8 but my sub is an 8"....so way less noticeable.

Swapped out the 8" sub and put in a 12" , fits bout the same...Still sitting on the fog light install but will get to it in a month, will post pics after I do it (or take it some where to have it done).

nyinstaller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0l T
    I didn't cut the wires I just removed one lead from each mic from the connector at the amp. And never experienced anything. Now it's time to build a fiberglass box and get rid of the big wooden one I've for now. Maybe I'll start tonight. Was a thought and I haven't decided yet.

gdbrown09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Hey guys,
    I'm not very experienced with installing subs, so I took my ATS to custom sounds and they want to charge around 600 to put them in. I was wondering if that is normal or not. Also if that's not normal could you maybe point me to what I need to get so all they have to do is install the subs, I figure if I have everything I can just get them to install and it would be cheaper.

What I have:
    - 2 12s alpine component subs 4 ohm(thinking about just putting in one)
    -500W mono amp 2ohm also alpine
    -I have no box yet, but I figure I can get one for pretty cheap

any help would be appreciated. Just need to know what all I need and why im getting charged so much

$600 ? Wow. Not me. Box is cheap. Good wiring is no more than $75 or spend more or less. Processor or LOC( line out converter). If they are doing a custom install I could see that and much more. Just follow this thread from the beginning and you could do it. If not buy the stuff and find someone else. All hook ups are right in the trunk. You don't even have to run power from the engine. Battery is right in the trunk. I should have stayed in the install game if prices are like that. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbrown09 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm not very experienced with installing subs, so I took my ATS to custom sounds and they want to charge around 600 to put them in. I was wondering if that is normal or not. Also if that's not normal could you maybe point me to what I need to get so all they have to do is install the subs, I figure if I have everything I can just get them to install and it would be cheaper.

What I have:
    - 2 12s alpine component subs 4 ohm(thinking about just putting in one)
    -500W mono amp 2ohm also alpine
    -I have no box yet, but I figure I can get one for pretty cheap

any help would be appreciated. Just need to know what all I need and why im getting charged so much

gdbrown09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Yea I though that was pretty high. And I would do it myself but I've never done an install ever and if there's any soldering involved I don't have the tools for that.

Would I need anything else besides the wiring and the LOC? Also which LOC would you recommended?
    $600 ? Wow. Not me. Box is cheap. Good wiring is no more than $75 or spend more or less. Processor or LOC( line out converter). If they are doing a custom install I could see that and much more. Just follow this thread from the beginning and you could do it. If not buy the stuff and find someone else. All hook ups are right in the trunk. You don't even have to run power from the engine. Battery is right in the trunk. I should have stayed in the install game if prices are like that. Oh well.

To me any Line out converter is fine. Just for a signal for the subs. Sometimes I just splice RCA'S in off speaker wires. You really don't need to solder anything. You could if you prefer. I just won't spend that on that install unless it's custom type. I still wouldn't I would rather do myself.Amp,Rca's,Subs, Loc,remote on-off wire, Ground and power wire,Speaker wires and your box.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbrown09 View Post
    Yea I though that was pretty high. And I would do it myself but I've never done an install ever and if there's any soldering involved I don't have the tools for that.

Would I need anything else besides the wiring and the LOC? Also which LOC would you recommended?

quaraong is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L

Can you post some pic of the location of the white sensor wire you used for hooking up the remote wire?

You need a real switched power remote wire location. And you really should use the - from the battery for you're ground . The humming is also from the amp staying on and or RCA's are to close to the power wire. Sounds to me like you are not getting a signal for you're amp from the LOC or whatever processor are using. Sub is making noise then most likely the sub is good. Could also mean the amp is shot.

Also find a remote wire on the right side up on the quarter panel in the trunk.. I got mine from a sensor white in color. Maybe 4 wires coming out of it. Could be a purple wire but I can't remember. A couple sensors are there white in color as I remember.

I could try on the weekend but if you pull the right side panel off as you are looking at the trunk. There will be some white connectors attached to the inner quarter panel. There might be 3 or so attached there. I can't remember what color wire it was but you need to get a tester and start testing them. I was ready to give up after testing everything and finally found that.other option was running all the way to the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel. But I really didn't want to do that. Just pull that panel and you will see all the connectors. The wire could have been purple but can't remember. Just find those on the inner quarter panel and you will find that wire testing them. Really nothing to it. You will find it. Really don't want to rip my panels out for a pic. You can't find it I'll do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by quaraong View Post
    Can you post some pic of the location of the white sensor wire you used for hooking up the remote wire?

quaraong is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L

Thanks. I will follow your instructions. In the process of taking out the panels in the trunk. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. It has been major pain in the a** taking apart these panels. I did the inner top panel first (the one covering the underside of the factory sub). This one has at least 6 of those plastic retainer that was designed to not come out easily. They freaking bent my trim removal tool several times. I had to apply major force to yank them out. Then I went for the left quarter and right quarter panel. These have couple of of retainers. They were painful to remove too , just not as painful as the ones for the top panel. Am I doing the right thing here? Is there a trick or a technique that I don't know of to remove these stubborn retainers?

I use a metal trim tool so mine doesn't bend. First I use a flat head to get the inner pin out. You are taking out the inner pin first right? If you don't they will not come out right. Really though it sounds like you are taking them out with the pin still in. I've removed the panels a couple times so it is easy now. PM me if you need help with this. I'll do what I can not being there. The sound will be worth it when you are done. Just sit back and relax when it pisses you off. Not like my father used to do by throwing things around. I would take off running as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by quaraong View Post
    Thanks. I will follow your instructions. In the process of taking out the panels in the trunk. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. It has been major pain in the a** taking apart these panels. I did the inner top panel first (the one covering the underside of the factory sub). This one has at least 6 of those plastic retainer that was designed to not come out easily. They freaking bent my trim removal tool several times. I had to apply major force to yank them out. Then I went for the left quarter and right quarter panel. These have couple of of retainers. They were painful to remove too , just not as painful as the ones for the top panel. Am I doing the right thing here? Is there a trick or a technique that I don't know of to remove these stubborn retainers?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.