Where tap power for aftermarket amp - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Where tap power for aftermarket amp in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...And I still havent gotten to the battery as I need to buy the tools to remove the trim and ...
    CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: Where tap power for aftermarket amp

...And I still havent gotten to the battery as I need to buy the tools to remove the trim and the scuff plate.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 3.6

Tools? I just used a flat head screw driver. You could put tape on the screw driver but the plastic is pretty hard. Not soft at all. I have tools for that and didn't use them. No scratches whatsoever. Besides it's just the trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACATS2013 View Post
    ...And I still havent gotten to the battery as I need to buy the tools to remove the trim and the scuff plate.

Rifle and rucksack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by duneless
    Same here thats why the deck flexes so much with mine facing up. Good to see someone else has some bangs in the ATS. Thought everyone was to conservative here.
    No man, not all of us are that conservative. It's just that the damn stereo in this car is too complicated ! I would love to run JL audio or infinity through out the car but I don't want to cut microphones or do without anything else that I paid good money for. Lol! In my avalanche I had the Bose stereo and I replaced everything with kenwood head unit, focal, JL subs and alpine amps and it still did not sound as good as it should have. I am crazy about good sound quality. I will probably add a sub and replace the front components and add a bunch of sound deadening to the rear deck this spring. I am just waiting to see if someone will come up with a solution for the noise suppression system and a stealth sub enclosure to save space. I will most likely go with small JL or alpine amps.

Really though the noise canceling is easy. 20 MINUTES TO TAKE CARE OF THAT. And you get to hear you're engine and exhaust better. I can reconnect the mics at any time. I like the mids and highs that are stock in the car. I just wanted more BASS.And this stereo isn't complicated at all. The signals for all speaker are right there at the amp. The battery is right on the other side. It was made to be upgraded. Taking everything apart isn't hard at all. Compared to my last BMW it's nothing. The stereo in that was fiber optics. That sucks. But everything I did can be put back to stock in an afternoon. I'm just never afraid of taking something apart and putting back together. I practiced on all my cars since I was 16. And all my friends cars as well. Then on to install job for a couple years. No real money for me there but I loved it. I don't want to replace the front components at this time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifle and rucksack View Post
    No man, not all of us are that conservative. It's just that the damn stereo in this car is too complicated ! I would love to run JL audio or infinity through out the car but I don't want to cut microphones or do without anything else that I paid good money for. Lol! In my avalanche I had the Bose stereo and I replaced everything with kenwood head unit, focal, JL subs and alpine amps and it still did not sound as good as it should have. I am crazy about good sound quality. I will probably add a sub and replace the front components and add a bunch of sound deadening to the rear deck this spring. I am just waiting to see if someone will come up with a solution for the noise suppression system and a stealth sub enclosure to save space. I will most likely go with small JL or alpine amps.

Rifle and rucksack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by duneless
    Really though the noise canceling is easy. 20 MINUTES TO TAKE CARE OF THAT. And you get to hear you're engine and exhaust better. I can reconnect the mics at any time. I like the mids and highs that are stock in the car. I just wanted more BASS.And this stereo isn't complicated at all. The signals for all speaker are right there at the amp. The battery is right on the other side. It was made to be upgraded. Taking everything apart isn't hard at all. Compared to my last BMW it's nothing. The stereo in that was fiber optics. That sucks. But everything I did can be put back to stock in an afternoon. I'm just never afraid of taking something apart and putting back together. I practiced on all my cars since I was 16. And all my friends cars as well. Then on to install job for a couple years. No real money for me there but I loved it. I don't want to replace the front components at this time though.
    Yes, it's all good, I hear what you are saying but there are a bunch of roads here in FL that will drive you crazy with all of the bumps and noises. Sometimes you are glad there is something in place to reduce the noise. I have been installing my own gear since I was a teenager also. I have never kept a factory system I just want to make sure this one is done right being that my taste in music is starting to change as I get older. I am more into musical detail than the bass now. Don't get me wrong I still like deep bass but not as loud and uncontrolled as I used to like. I was the type of guy who liked to see the roof flex from the out side of the car! Lol! Now I like to hear the individual instruments and locations and the correct tone of the singers voice. When you have a system close to this it makes you just want to drive all day and tune everything else out. You know what I mean, but I will probably start on it this spring and maybe contacting you for some advice.

I hear ya man. I'm getting older also. But I also like pulling up to the kids civcs and ricers with style and power like our Caddy. And let then know I have bumps also with a classy car. Not to mention you don't have to be 20 to have a nice car and upgrades. They usually have their mouth wide open. But it's all good. You ever need some help I'll gladdly help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifle and rucksack View Post
    Yes, it's all good, I hear what you are saying but there are a bunch of roads here in FL that will drive you crazy with all of the bumps and noises. Sometimes you are glad there is something in place to reduce the noise. I have been installing my own gear since I was a teenager also. I have never kept a factory system I just want to make sure this one is done right being that my taste in music is starting to change as I get older. I am more into musical detail than the bass now. Don't get me wrong I still like deep bass but not as loud and uncontrolled as I used to like. I was the type of guy who liked to see the roof flex from the out side of the car! Lol! Now I like to hear the individual instruments and locations and the correct tone of the singers voice. When you have a system close to this it makes you just want to drive all day and tune everything else out. You know what I mean, but I will probably start on it this spring and maybe contacting you for some advice.

greezychef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual

i guess the "base" 2.0t dont have noise canceling system as it has never been an issue. only issue i ve had was removing the rear sub and fixing that rear deck. just needed to take my time. put it sounds amazing now. need to get around to posting up some pics. i get a lot of compliments.

Yeah maybe it doesn't. In your CUE there should be something if it has it. Mine has it in the CUE settings. I thought by turning it off it would stop the sub from having feedback. But it didn't work. Other cars you can turn it off. Please post some pics when you get the chance. If I get the chance I will. Just so damn cold out. I still have the factory sub in mine. How hard was that to get out. I might take it out but if I want to go back to all factory it's still there for now. I really made mine so I could take out in a couple minutes for trunk room if the wifey and I want to go away for the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by greezychef View Post
    i guess the "base" 2.0t dont have noise canceling system as it has never been an issue. only issue i ve had was removing the rear sub and fixing that rear deck. just needed to take my time. put it sounds amazing now. need to get around to posting up some pics. i get a lot of compliments.

Got power hooked up and sub is dead as a door nail...now I get to troubleshoot the amp and the real fun begins

FOLLOW UP: I changed where I grounded it and ran a remote turn on to the amplifier fuse but get a loud humming from the sub even with car off so assume the fuse I piggy backed is live. Will try another but was thinking could also try the fuse for the radio? Anyone try that one?

You need a real switched power remote wire location. And you really should use the - from the battery for you're ground . The humming is also from the amp staying on and or RCA's are to close to the power wire. Sounds to me like you are not getting a signal for you're amp from the LOC or whatever processor are using. Sub is making noise then most likely the sub is good. Could also mean the amp is shot.

Also find a remote wire on the right side up on the quarter panel in the trunk.. I got mine from a sensor white in color. Maybe 4 wires coming out of it. Could be a purple wire but I can't remember. A couple sensors are there white in color as I remember.
    Got power hooked up and sub is dead as a door nail...now I get to troubleshoot the amp and the real fun begins

FOLLOW UP: I changed where I grounded it and ran a remote turn on to the amplifier fuse but get a loud humming from the sub even with car off so assume the fuse I piggy backed is live. Will try another but was thinking could also try the fuse for the radio? Anyone try that one?

DONE DEAL!!! So this was the easiest setup I could come up with for those of you who want the least complications. I ran the power and ground to the battery + and - respectively. I attached kicker KISL speaker wire/rca converters (no LOC) from stock sub in rear deck and ran the rca to the amp. I used a kicker dx250.1 amp which has button to select hi/lo input (selected lo) and can auto turn on from signal from rca's so no remote turn on wire needed. I ran the bass knob wire up the driver side from trunk to under dash and that is all she wrote. Since I am not a professional it took me a few hours to do all this but I have done a few sub installs before this and this was by far the easiest. I didnt put in anything fancy, just a polk dxi108 8" ported sub. I will take some pictures and post what the finished job looks like which doesnt look like much but that is a good thing, it came out really clean.
    greezychef likes this.

Just like I was saying. Very easy. And no remote even better. How does it sound?
    DONE DEAL!!! So this was the easiest setup I could come up with for those of you who want the least complications. I ran the power and ground to the battery + and - respectively. I attached kicker KISL speaker wire/rca converters (no LOC) from stock sub in rear deck and ran the rca to the amp. I used a kicker dx250.1 amp which has button to select hi/lo input (selected lo) and can auto turn on from signal from rca's so no remote turn on wire needed. I ran the bass knob wire up the driver side from trunk to under dash and that is all she wrote. Since I am not a professional it took me a few hours to do all this but I have done a few sub installs before this and this was by far the easiest. I didnt put in anything fancy, just a polk dxi108 8" ported sub. I will take some pictures and post what the finished job looks like which doesnt look like much but that is a good thing, it came out really clean.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    Just like I was saying. Very easy. And no remote even better. How does it sound?
    Between the bose 10 and the ported 8...It sounds awesome. I have had much larger subs in the past so had some serious doubt about an 8" sub which to me seemed like it would be glorified mid but it actually works! I get the lows coming through and with the bass knob, I can adjust from song to song how much bass I want. Couldnt be happier

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Between the bose 10 and the ported 8...It sounds awesome. I have had much larger subs in the past so had some serious doubt about an 8" sub which to me seemed like it would be glorified mid but it actually works! I get the lows coming through and with the bass knob, I can adjust from song to song how much bass I want. Couldnt be happier
    Are you running both at once? I actually toyed with the idea of getting a smaller sub and setting it to crossover where the Bose cuts out. So I didn't lose the in-cabin sound yet had something that can hit lows that the Bose cant.

Quote Originally Posted by off1c3r View Post
    Are you running both at once? I actually toyed with the idea of getting a smaller sub and setting it to crossover where the Bose cuts out. So I didn't lose the in-cabin sound yet had something that can hit lows that the Bose cant.
    I am running both at once, I simply tapped the wires on the bose sub leaving the bose hooked up and ran to the amp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.