2013 2.0T automatic stalling while driving
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 2.0T automatic stalling while driving in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I'm desperate to know if anyone else has experienced this. I've made 3 calls to GM and it has been ...
    Krism75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

2013 2.0T automatic stalling while driving

I'm desperate to know if anyone else has experienced this. I've made 3 calls to GM and it has been in for service a total of 20 days since I bought it back in June (no codes, no check engine lights and the problem didn't happen to them while they had it...did the rough idle computer update just for kicks). When I'm driving, I'll start to feel a weird shudder. Once it gets to a certain point, it will lose speed and not let me accelerate. It will eventually shudder and die. Most of the time I manage to get it pulled over, but yesterday I got stuck in the middle of an intersection. My husband and daughter were following me and managed to get videos of a couple of sputters and stalls.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLPw...Q&feature=plpp

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaxYg8e...I&feature=plpp (happens around the 1 minute mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=des...&v=vho305e14J4 (from inside the car, 20 second mark, the entire car shakes)

I love my car, but I don't feel safe driving it anymore. The first time it did this, I was doing 70 on the interstate and almost had an 18 wheeler plow into me...with my daughter in the backseat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

Re: 2013 2.0T automatic stalling while driving

I haven't heard of this. Most people here have the 2.0t and 3.6 model. I see it says 2.0t on the thread but that is a 2.5 motor 1 exhaust tip. But it's all on video. They can't say it's not happening. I don't know but it seems like lack of spark,fuel blockage, Not enough air to the engine. Could be many things. I can't understand why they haven't found the problem yet. I wouldn't drive it until they have fixed the problem due to it not being safe to drive.

Has the car threw any codes? (engine light) or such?

Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    My car has done similar where if you accelerate faster than normal, and let off the gas abruptly, the RPM's drop really fast almost like "engine breaking", but not applying breaks, then sputters and shuts off. It has only done it 3 times, but I only have just turned 2k miles.

Car specs: 2013 2.0T AT 2k miles

You're correct. It's the 2.5 and I'm an idiot. Anyway, it hasn't thrown any codes and I haven't had any warning lights at all. It's on the back of a tow truck headed to the dealer again. I'm hoping the videos will help, but at this point I don't even want the car anymore (had the torque convertor replaced at 5000 miles and now this is happening at 10,000). If I could get out of my lease I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even get another ATS (I really do love it). I just don't love this particular one.

Quote Originally Posted by Krism75 View Post
    You're correct. It's the 2.5 and I'm an idiot. Anyway, it hasn't thrown any codes and I haven't had any warning lights at all. It's on the back of a tow truck headed to the dealer again. I'm hoping the videos will help, but at this point I don't even want the car anymore (had the torque convertor replaced at 5000 miles and now this is happening at 10,000). If I could get out of my lease I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even get another ATS (I really do love it). I just don't love this particular one.
    You're not an idiot. And yes they should be giving you another one. That is really crazy. And sorry. They are good cars you just got a lemon.

JTS2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T

It sounds like it's only running on 3 cylinders. Could be a bad injector, or coil. Can't imagine something like that is hard to diagnose.

It's not happening when I take it in to the dealer, so it's been hard to diagnose. The last dealer drove it for 330 miles and it never happened to them. I drove it for a week when I got it back before it happened again(and then it happened 3 or 4 times in about a 5 mile drive). I just got a call from the service advisor and he said that all of the diagnostics have come back clean and he needs permission to drive it. I also emailed the videos to him. Hopefully they get it resolved.

Yeah I don't get it. In my 745li I diagnosed many things like that. Bad coils,cam sensor,. But yet I had codes coming up. I don't understand how this can happen and it not throw codes the whole time it is stalling. Even if it corrected it's self. Should be stored after that to see what it was. It could be an injector as well. But like I said no fault codes? weird. The car is stumbling and still the car thinks it's ok. I would be very angry and frustrated. I would rather have the car light up like a Christmas tree with every light on. Then I would have a starting point to find out what was wrong with it. Drive it into a wall

I told the tow truck driver that I wouldn't be upset if he forgot to tighten the straps. He didn't go for it. We called for an update today. Still no codes and the problem didn't happen when they drove it. They can't watch YouTube videos, so we're on the way to deliver them on a flash drive. We're supposed to have a meeting with the general manager whenever they decide to finally schedule it...I'm beyond frustrated at this point.

I told the tow truck driver that I wouldn't be upset if he forgot to tighten the straps. He didn't go for it. We called for an update today. Still no codes and the problem didn't happen when they drove it. They can't watch YouTube videos, so we're on the way to deliver them on a flash drive. We're supposed to have a meeting with the general manager whenever they decide to finally schedule it...I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
    Sorry I would be as well. good luck.

small723 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 Premium

Oddly enough, today I experienced my first stalling episode with my 2.0T. Last night I came to a stop at a red light and the car stuttered really bad I thought it was going to cut off. This morning I come to a stop at a light and no power whatsoever. This time there was no stutter or anything, it just cut off. I'll be stopping by the dealership in a couple hours need less to say.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I had the worst case of this the other day leaving the supermarket. I just started the car, backed out of the spot. I went to the end of the row and stopped to make a right and the car started shuddering. I turned right and had no power, threw it in Neutral and gave it some gas (no problem here it reved just fine), put it back into D and again, no power. I tossed it back into N and reved again without issue. Dropped it back into D and it seemed better.

It never died on me but it was very damn close. Been fine sense and this is the first time in almost 4k miles and almost a year that I felt it this bad. Prior to this I had a tiny shake from time to time but nothing like this.

JLGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance

Please file a complaint with the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/, guess this is not just a 6spd problem.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    This is absolutely ridiculous for a car to behave that way. That is not safe.

I hate this is happening to you too. The dealer has been working to get me out of mine. They couldn't figure out what it was. They guessed that it could be the ECM, but since it wasn't throwing any errors, they couldn't guarantee that it would not leave me stranded again. The car was not safe. Mine would stutter sometimes without completely shutting off, but it did shut off several times. When it did die, it was at the worst possible times (blocking the entrance to a major shopping center for example...that one was fun). Good luck with yours!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.