Just a question about condensation...any experiences?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Just a question about condensation...any experiences? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have 2k miles, mainly garage kept, was just left outside a few times....i now have condensation and water marks ...
    Jerzeyboy730 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Just a question about condensation...any experiences?

I have 2k miles, mainly garage kept, was just left outside a few times....i now have condensation and water marks on both headlight lenses. Thought was a fluke, but has done it repeatedly. I also have concern that my rear window now keeps filling with condensation and is now dripping on my back deck could only imagine what damage it will do in the long run. (Meaning damage to speakers, mold, etc) Shouldn't even be accumulating any moisture on the inside of the rear window?

There are know wet or moisture accumulating objects in the car, all windows have been quadruple checked to be sure they are up, but has happened more then once.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sebounet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance

Re: Just a question about condensation...any experiences?

COndensation is not coming from outside. It s the difference of temperature between inside and outside , combined with humidity level that cause this.

Use more your air conditionning even during winter, this will allow the inside to be dryer. Avoid big differences in temperature. For example opening your windows when you put your car in the garage will egalise inside and outside temp so no more condensation.

For the headlights , you can have some for example when you go to car wash. But normally it's very isolated from outside. But it's not empty of air. So depending how it was manufactured, some moisture kept inside could condensate in certain situation.

I check the headlight this morning was very cold, and i could see some frosen condensation inside the headlight. So it seems a lot of ats have this, depending on the weather you could be able to see it or not.
    Are they normaly sealed ?, During the manufacturing process, are thery taking off all the air or putting a neutral gaz like azote ?

Both headlights were affected, you can see at the bottom.

Usually my car is in my heated garage so i won't see this. Very cold weather show the issue

phare gauche1024.jpg

phare droit.JPG

propmaker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Diamond White Tricot / Morello Red Interior.

I have a similar problem with my Mercedes headlights.
    I found a DTB regarding the problem & here is part of it...

"Surfaces fog up whenever they are cold and come in contact with warmer, humid air. An example of this is the mirror in the bathroom. It often fogs up after showering because it comes in contact with the warm humid air from the shower enclosure. The same thing occurs to the headlamps. Moisture or water on or around the engine evaporates and this vapor condenses on the coldest surface in the surrounding area. This is frequently the headlamps since they are frequently in contact with cold air or cold rain.
    The headlamps have ventilation holes on the back. Without these holes, pressure would be produced when the headlamps are switched on damaging the headlamps.
    A malfunctioning headlamp can be identified as follows. As a prerequisite, the headlamp(s) must be fogged up when the vehicle is brought into the workshop.
    1. Is there a puddle of water inside the headlamp? If yes, the headlamp is malfunctioning and should be replaced.
    2. Does the headlamp show signs of external damage? If yes, the headlamp is malfunctioning and must be replaced. This is not covered by warranty.
    3. If there is only an appearance of moisture on the inside surfaces of the headlamp and there is no external damage, the headlamp is then okay.

Clearing fogged headlamps and/or fog lamps.
    1. Drive the car into the workshop and connect the exhaust extractor. In dry weather, this can also be
    performed outside.
    2. Start the engine and switch on the low beam + high beam, front fog lamps and hazard warning
    lamps.
    3. Leave the vehicle in this state for 20 minutes.
    4. Switch off all lights and the engine.
    5. If the headlamps and/or fog lamps are completely clear, the observed fogging or water is normal. If
    not, the headlamp or fog lamp is not functioning correctly and should be replaced.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

The part I don't understand is not the condensation but the etching that was reported. Condensation should be pure water without anything that could etch or discolor a hard surface such as a headlight lens. I guess it could condense in one spot that is contaminated and then drip or get thrown onto the lens but I wouldn't think there should be any contaminants inside a new headlight assembly.

Few days after those pictures i checked with the same very cold temperature, after leaving my car in my heated garage. And i didn't notice any frost inside the lens. So the moisture was gone by the hole you mentioned may be. I forgot to mention that my led light at the bottom (performance model) has the exact same problem. But the next day everything was fine.

Also i remember that i have gone through a high pressure car wash and may be that's why i have had more condensation in the headlight

I have no water mark, no water and no etching or discoloration

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.