2014 ATS CUE Hands Free Bluetooth Implementation Stinks compared to Chevy Cruze
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2014 ATS CUE Hands Free Bluetooth Implementation Stinks compared to Chevy Cruze in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...
    knotpc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD

2014 ATS CUE Hands Free Bluetooth Implementation Stinks compared to Chevy Cruze

I recently purchased the 2014 Cadillac ATS AWD trading in a 2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ. The ATS has a far superior ride over the Cruze which is to be expected considering the price difference. Where the ATS falls flat is its implementation of Hands Free Bluetooth with CUE. In the Cruze (all trim levels that support BT) you simply press TALK and say CALL BOB SMITH at home, the CRUZE connects to the BT phone and the call is completed. The ATS CUE totally drops the ball in this area as the CUE system requires you to press TALK then say VOICE which is supposed to patch you over to the phones internal voice recognition system, in my case the iPhone. I have beat my head against the steering wheel trying to get the system to work, it simply does not.

Here is what I have done.

• Place phone in center console and close it. Press TALK, say VOICE wait for the SIRI beep. Say ‘Call Bob Smith on Cell’. Siri double beeps and says goodbye.
    • Place phone in center console, plug the USB in and close the console. Press TALK, say VOICE wait for the SIRI beep. Say ‘Call Bob Smith on Cell’. Siri double beeps and says goodbye.
    • Place phone on passenger seat. Press TALK (steering wheel), say VOICE wait for the SIRI beep. Say ‘Call Bob Smith on Cell’. Siri most of the time dials the call.
    • Hold phone in one hand, Press TALK (steering wheel) with the other hand, say VOICE wait for the SIRI beep. Say ‘Call Bob Smith on Cell’. Siri always dials the call.

The above process proves that most of the time the ATS does not pass the users voice via QUE BT to the phone. It instead activates the phones own microphone. So when the phone is stored in the center console your calls simply do not get placed. I have also noted a severe BT call quality issue where users complain that the call breaks up when I talk. If I use OnStar to call the same parties the callers do not complain at all and say that the call is crystal clear.

As a business traveler I commonly rent GM cars from Hertz. The Cruze and Malibu both implement Hands free the same way, once your phone is paired the system just works. IMHO the Cadillac ATS totally drops the ball with a modified lame and unsafe implementation in QUE.

I have spent hours on the phone with QUE support and basically came to the conclusion that I am stuck with a car that does not support a function that a lower cost, lower quality GM made car does. Unless someone on the forum has some idea I will be forced to use a headset once again, its like going back in time 10 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark140 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS, 2.0

Re: 2014 ATS CUE Hands Free Bluetooth Implementation Stinks compared to Chevy Cruze

I'm still rocking the IPhone 3 and have no problems with the Bluetooth. Once my phone was paired with the CUE it works flawlessly even with the phone in my pocket. Did you pair the phone to CUE?

carpenter is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Re: 2014 ATS CUE Hands Free Bluetooth Implementation Stinks compared to Chevy Cruze

Maybe I am not following what you are saying, but I don't have to say VOICE for any function relating to making a call. I press the TALK button and say "call XXXX mobile" etc etc

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    I have an iPhone 5 and it works flawlessly. I simply press the steering wheel button and say for instance, "Call Home" and the call goes through. Phone can be in the console or my pocket. Doesn't matter. I will mention though that I have to say exactly what the contact is named in the phone.

Mark140 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS, 2.0

I just hit the little button on the steering wheel, say "call Randy at work". The lady confirms and the phone dials.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Not sure why you are having issues...When you pair phone it syncs with CUE, Press talk button on the wheel and say call, name mobile/home and it confirms and dials. In the settings you have a choice to have long or short prompts. If you select "short" when you press the button on the wheel it says "command please" Than you say call......

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

I have iPhone 4s and I press the talk button and say "call Steve" and it works. If I have more than one number listed in my iPhone directory for a person, I am prompted which one, or I do like the others... "call Steve mobile". I never have to say "Voice" first.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I agree with everyone else but I have a '13. Any of you have a '14?

atsguy2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS AWD Premium

I have a '14 and it works as everyone says. Press the button and say "call NAME"
    It will then list out on the DIC if there are more than one match. You then say the number or just say yes if it only has one match.
    works perfectly.
    using Android.

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Dear KnotPC: I don't know what kind of phone you have, but I initially had a glitch pairing with my Android (Samsung Galaxy S2) because when I paired, I failed to respond to the command on my phone to download phone contacts to the CUE system. It is a subtle command that you can miss easily. Maybe you should unpair the phone, try to pair it again, and look for the download contacts command on the phone and accept it. I had the same issue on a 2014 Impala recently that I rented, with its system that is similar to CUE. If you don't download the contacts from your phone, the voice commands will not work properly. Try re-pairing. Once it is properly paired and contacts are downloaded, it should work properly. Best of luck!
    GJB likes this.

UPDATE:

I have taken the vehicle in for service with Don Massey Cadillac in Lonetree Colorado. The technician spent 3 hours updating the cars firmware and working with GM technical support. In the end, the technical support person stated to the technician "this is the cheapest radio and is of lower quality than the Cruze." It was recommended that I not place the phone in the center console and that I do not connect the USB cable if I want to make a BT handsfree call. As dual connections would interfere with the QUE radio? According to the technician higher trim levels of QUE in the ATS use "press talk 'call bob smith on mobile". My specific TRIM level uses "press talk" 'say voice' which patches through to the phones internal voice recognition where you then must wait for the SIRI beep and say 'call bob smith on mobile'. Im my case the phone then responds with a double beep followed by the ATS saying goodbye.

I wrote a very detailed letter explaining how to duplicate the issue in the ATS and sent it pony express to GM customer care, addressed to the product manager for ATS. I was contacted by three different GM customer care representatives, none of which read the letter I sent. <rant> Its sad that I had to send a letter in the first place, it worse that nobody read its content </rant>. Two nights ago I received a call from a forth 'GM QUE technical expert' who argued that I was using the system incorrectly. I referred him to the manual and page where it specifically states to say VOICE followed by BT passthrough and then say 'call bob smith on mobile". After actually reading the letter I sent and reading the manual, he confirmed I was using the system correctly.

While all of this has been occurring, I drove the vehicle from Denver Colorado to my new home in Everett Washington. The trip was 1583 miles, AVG MPH 75 with an AVG MPG 25, no where near the 31MPG EPA estimates. While on the drive, I tried various ways of making calls. The most reliable method is unsafe. Hold the phone, look at phone not the road, swipe the phone, enter password, hold the button until SIRI answers and say 'call bob smith on mobile'. The phone makes the call and connects me to the ATS audi system, it works 100 percent of the time. I have also noticed a severe BT call quality issue. From my testing the car turns the call volume to MAX on every call, with no way to control it.

The 'GM QUE Expert' called me yesterday and has setup service to replace the QUE system as he believes it is defective. I will let the forum know what is found after the car is serviced.

This may very well be the last Cadillac I own based on my experience with the car and GM customer care incompetence.

ikireland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD
    I've been dealing with a similar issue on my '14 Luxury. The way I understand it is I should be able to:

(Copied from owner manual)

Voice Pass-Thru
    Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

To access contacts stored in the cell phone:

Press talk on the steering wheel. The system responds &ldquo;Ready,&rdquo; followed by a tone.
    Say &ldquo;Bluetooth.&rdquo;
    Say &ldquo;Voice.&rdquo; The system responds &ldquo;OK, accessing <phone name>.&rdquo;
    The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions.

This is what mine does:

I press talk on the wheel
    System responds "say a command"

My dic displays:
    Phone command
    Navigation command
    Audio command

If I say anything other than those three options it doesn't recognize what I'm trying to do. The frustrating thing is since it displays on the DIC I assume it is working as it should. However why does it state that it does it the other way in the manual? I work at the dealer and we have updated radio multiple times called GM engineering and they have had us attempt certain programming that has been unsuccessful and have basically said sucks to be you that's how it I guess.

I have also complained to people that the Cruze I was borrowing until I got this had a way better blue tooth system. It's sad IMO.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by knotpc View Post
    UPDATE:

I have taken the vehicle in for service with Don Massey Cadillac in Lonetree Colorado. The technician spent 3 hours updating the cars firmware and working with GM technical support. In the end, the technical support person stated to the technician "this is the cheapest radio and is of lower quality than the Cruze." It was recommended that I not place the phone in the center console and that I do not connect the USB cable if I want to make a BT handsfree call. As dual connections would interfere with the QUE radio? According to the technician higher trim levels of QUE in the ATS use "press talk 'call bob smith on mobile". My specific TRIM level uses "press talk" 'say voice' which patches through to the phones internal voice recognition where you then must wait for the SIRI beep and say 'call bob smith on mobile'. Im my case the phone then responds with a double beep followed by the ATS saying goodbye.

I wrote a very detailed letter explaining how to duplicate the issue in the ATS and sent it pony express to GM customer care, addressed to the product manager for ATS. I was contacted by three different GM customer care representatives, none of which read the letter I sent. <rant> Its sad that I had to send a letter in the first place, it worse that nobody read its content </rant>. Two nights ago I received a call from a forth 'GM QUE technical expert' who argued that I was using the system incorrectly. I referred him to the manual and page where it specifically states to say VOICE followed by BT passthrough and then say 'call bob smith on mobile". After actually reading the letter I sent and reading the manual, he confirmed I was using the system correctly.

While all of this has been occurring, I drove the vehicle from Denver Colorado to my new home in Everett Washington. The trip was 1583 miles, AVG MPH 75 with an AVG MPG 25, no where near the 31MPG EPA estimates. While on the drive, I tried various ways of making calls. The most reliable method is unsafe. Hold the phone, look at phone not the road, swipe the phone, enter password, hold the button until SIRI answers and say 'call bob smith on mobile'. The phone makes the call and connects me to the ATS audi system, it works 100 percent of the time. I have also noticed a severe BT call quality issue. From my testing the car turns the call volume to MAX on every call, with no way to control it.

The 'GM QUE Expert' called me yesterday and has setup service to replace the QUE system as he believes it is defective. I will let the forum know what is found after the car is serviced.

This may very well be the last Cadillac I own based on my experience with the car and GM customer care incompetence.
    Hello knotpc,

I apologize that you are not satisfied with the way the Bluetooth is implemented as well as the CUE system in your ATS. I am also sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience working with our CUE Infotainment team. I do see that they are working with you to address this concern. Please keep us updated when you have your CUE system replaced. If you need any assistance getting in contact with your agent, please feel free to private message me and I will be happy to look further into your situation and notify your agent. Thank you very much for your time and I will be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Gregory,

Cadillac is a GM premier brand. Therefore, no lesser GM brand should be better than a Cadillac at its lowest trim level. In the case of the ATS 2.0 with the 'cheapest radio Cue according to GM engineers, that is not the case. Any buyer can purchase a base model GM Cruze or Impala and Bluetooth works by simply saying "call bob on cell" where the ATS requires a lamb pass through that does not work.

Knotpc

----------

Reference to deleted post removed by moderator.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ikireland
    I've been dealing with a similar issue on my '14 Luxury. The way I understand it is I should be able to: (Copied from owner manual) Voice Pass-Thru Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See your cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature. To access contacts stored in the cell phone: Press talk on the steering wheel. The system responds &ldquo;Ready,&rdquo; followed by a tone. Say &ldquo;Bluetooth.&rdquo; Say &ldquo;Voice.&rdquo; The system responds &ldquo;OK, accessing <phone name>.&rdquo; The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions. This is what mine does: I press talk on the wheel System responds "say a command" My dic displays: Phone command Navigation command Audio command If I say anything other than those three options it doesn't recognize what I'm trying to do. The frustrating thing is since it displays on the DIC I assume it is working as it should. However why does it state that it does it the other way in the manual? I work at the dealer and we have updated radio multiple times called GM engineering and they have had us attempt certain programming that has been unsuccessful and have basically said sucks to be you that's how it I guess. I have also complained to people that the Cruze I was borrowing until I got this had a way better blue tooth system. It's sad IMO.
    Indeed, a cheaper GM Cruze model works while a premier Cadillac brand does not.

Knotpc

CaddySales3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 performance

I feel like the OP is missing something. I wonder if you just had a lackluster sales person who failed to adequately explain things. I sell Cadillacs new and I've never seen someone experience the problems you are having. Hopefully it gets sorted out. Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.