Trunk Acces (Ski Pass) DIY for ATS Base Model
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Trunk Acces (Ski Pass) DIY for ATS Base Model in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi all, Just want to share my experience and advise you guys out there that the ski pass is actually ...
    cbutcho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Trunk Acces (Ski Pass) DIY for ATS Base Model

Hi all,

Just want to share my experience and advise you guys out there that the ski pass is actually part of the back seat design and it is quite easy to retro fit. Don't do the mistake that I have done buying both the front and the back piece, only buy the back piece that goes in the trunk and it's the cheap one, around 40 bucks. The expensive front piece is already there hiding behind the material, only the fancy little door is missing but to my opinion you don't really need it. Here are the steps: (I can post pics if requested)

1- cut the seat material with a blade in an "X" shape but keep 1 inch away from the corners.
    2- you will then find a black plastic flat plate behind the fabric, you will have to remove it and that's the tricky part as the plate is stitched to the fabric at the top and at the bottom. Use a razor blade and slide it between the plate and the fabric to cut the stitches. Remove the plastic plate and discard it.
    3- you will then see the ski pass behind the plastic plate, SURPRISE!!! BTW, SHAME ON CADILLAC TO PRETEND THAT THE SKI PASS IS NOT OFFERED ON THE BASE MODEL WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY THERE, 40K for a luxury car and they are still bogging the customers playing games for them to buy the 52K loaded model when this type of equipment comes at no additional charges on a Hyundai Elantra. Really, congratulations GM and Cadillac! Next time I'll think twice before buying your products!
    4- cut the fabric going over the armrest pivots in order to be able to slide the fabric behind the ski pass all around exactly like the OEM
    5- cut the trunk fabric around the ski pass opening
    6- clip the back piece
    7- you are done
    Neuroleptic and cadaddio like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Re: Trunk Acces (Ski Pass) DIY for ATS Base Model

Nice work.
    I'm sure pictures would help some other folks along with a link to the piece you bought.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    I'm sure if someone had said "I can't believe base model doesn't have a ski pass" before this thread was made, some people here would jump on Cadillacs side and say "they didn't put it in to save money and so you don't have to pay for it bla bla bla". Sure they didn't lol
    JavaGirl and transam00 like this.

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

This is great. Could you post some pics?

JoeC1982 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

I was pretty surprised the back seat doesn't fold down, actually just realized this is going to be an issue if i have to transports my dogs kennel i guess i'll have to get a smaller one.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

lol only thing i use my trunk for is my backpack haha! but still good on finding this, Pictures worth a thousand words though...

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
    I was pretty surprised the back seat doesn't fold down, actually just realized this is going to be an issue if i have to transports my dogs kennel i guess i'll have to get a smaller one.
    to be honest, retrofitting a 60/40 split fold rear seat probably wouldnt be much trouble at all

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Pictures please! I can tell you how many times I've had an issue buying something and bringing it home with out a passthrough. I had no idea the 2.0T standard didn't have an fold down rear seat, I never asked a question because it's like asking if you car has a parking brake!

Ok as requested here are some photos and tricks for the DIY:
    WP_000476.jpg
    This pic shows the end result, believe me it looks flawless like the OEM finish.
    WP_000477.jpg
    This pic shows a corner in close up
    WP_000480.jpg
    This pic shows the part that I paid 150$ that is actually hidden inside the seat, I have removed the pass door and installed it on the other one. If you do not buy the part you will not have the fancy little door but do you really want to spend 150$ bucks for it, your decision. I don't think that the door sells alone, ask you dealer about it.
    WP_000482.jpg
    This pic shows one of the 4 triangles of fabric that you want to save for the finishing job, they can save your life as shown below.
    WP_000484.jpg
    This pic shows a mistake that I have done by cutting too much material and having not enough to do a proper clean job. I did not do the same mistake for the other lower corner as shown on the second pic above. That's where the left over fabric triangles saved me.
    WP_000486.jpg
    Step1: fold the triangle
    WP_000487.jpg
    step2: slide it behind the frame to hide the defect
    WP_000488.jpg
    step3: adjust it to your taste, it looks very clean and it will not fall out as it is well squeezed behind the plastic frame
    WP_000492.jpg
    Pic with the door open
    Attached Images

awesome!! I think this deserves a sticky for sure

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

Thanks cbutcho! Anyone think "they" will be angry if I do this to a lease car?

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    depends on how thorough the post-lease inspection is
    they might let it slide since it doesnt impact anything, and it was there to begin with, or they might throw the book at you and claim it returned in "non factory" condition
    anyone else had a leased GM car before and can vouch for this?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    VERY unlikely. Think about how even the people who sell these cars rarely know what is standard or option. The people who inspect them are not going to know it didn't come that way since it looks exactly like the factory set up and uses the factory parts.

LOL, I did it on my leased car! I am not worried at all especially that it looks OEM. Cadillac themselves got absolutely no clue of their own list of options, the ski pass is still mistakenly appearing on their 2014 brochure as a standard equipment on the based model. (Canadian brochure, not sure for the US). I even called them lately to complain and to tell them that this mistake may mislead customers but they served the political BS that this would not be considered a mistake as the fine prints stipulate that equipment or options may change without advise. I laughed at the customer service representative and told her that this was a lame answer. And BTW I have returned many leased cars and they never inspect a car to that level of details, I bet you that the reps will not even think of lowering the arm rest. On my last return, the Lexus rep went around the car, looked through the windows and told me he was done, I then laughed and told him "are you have a detailed inspection later?" He told me no, we're done unless there is no engine under the hood. LOL

I highly doubt a lease inspector would even KNOW that you did it, much less check it over, lease inspectors aren't really that bright (when it comes to aftermarket parts) guy returned his SS cobalt with an aftermarket loudass exhaust, told the guy it was a GMPP kit option and he totally bought it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.