Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Savoy I just had my2014 3.6 in for service a few days ago and was told the ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy View Post
    I just had my2014 3.6 in for service a few days ago and was told the same thing. No updates available and the ones that are were for 2013's. I explained how sometimes the car idles so smooth toy can't even tell it's running and others it's rough and seems as if it wants to stall but doesn't. Odd.
    Hello Savoy,

I apologize for any vehicle concern you are experiencing. If you would like to further discuss your concerns or any questions you may have, please send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

scooter_x is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 Thunder Gray/Morello Red
    I was at dealer on Friday for service on my 3.6 and asked about my occasional rough idle. Like many of you was told there is currently no resolution. Any bulletins that were out did not apply to my 2013 ATS. Said until GM does something to address the issue there is nothing that can be done.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Have any of you been told its designed that way to run lean to heat the cat faster for EPA and to improve mileage.

I have not heard that one. Is that from your dealer?

GJB

Sure is right off my maintenance sheet. After test driving vehicle and verifying customer concerns and checking for codes (found none).

"Slight rough idle upon start up is normal operating condition due to direct injection and computer controlling air fuel mixture leaning it for quicker catalytic converter heating and meet emissions requirements as well as better fuel economy as per #PIP4919B"

I have no issue with that but it continues after warm up, guess my car must run lean all the time.

That seems a little fishy to me. There are tons of performance vehicles out there that run lean and fast with out a rough idle. Mine happens sporadically after driving when stopping at a light etc. So I agree with you that it has had plenty of time to warm up. I can forgive a lot of the other stuff related to tech issues etc with the car. However, the performance of the core components is not something that I find to be acceptable in a 50k automobile.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_x View Post
    That seems a little fishy to me. There are tons of performance vehicles out there that run lean and fast with out a rough idle. Mine happens sporadically after driving when stopping at a light etc. So I agree with you that it has had plenty of time to warm up. I can forgive a lot of the other stuff related to tech issues etc with the car. However, the performance of the core components is not something that I find to be acceptable in a 50k automobile.
    I'm with you on this and same with my car well after warm up. What gets me is the 3.6 is in quite a few GM products and its just not the ATS that has this issue. A friend of mine has an SRX that does the same thing. You would think this would have been addressed by now but they seem to have different tunes between some of the models so that may be where the problem lies.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    I'm with you on this and same with my car well after warm up. What gets me is the 3.6 is in quite a few GM products and its just not the ATS that has this issue. A friend of mine has an SRX that does the same thing. You would think this would have been addressed by now but they seem to have different tunes between some of the models so that may be where the problem lies.
    My SRX idles very smooth, but occasionally I get a rough idle that feels like a cylinder is not firing properly on my ATS. My ATS idles smooth 90% of the time it's at idle though. I can live with that.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by ikireland View Post
    haven't read entire thread but there is a bulletin out from GM regarding this concern and has released calibration updates to correct
    Based on my experience this is not accurate.

----------

Copied off general discussion post by Belman. If you read the Bold type our engine is improved in this area..So what are the last Gen 3.6 experiencing? The one comment that does make sense with what we experience is it runs leaner. And maybe at idle our Cam is not always at the fully advanced position?

3.6 liter LFX code engine evolution

Overview
    A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 – known by its LFX engine code.

Compared to the engine it replaces, the new LFX 3.6L V-6 features:
    New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
    Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
    Longer-duration intake camshafts
    Composite intake manifold
    New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
    New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
    Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
    Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
    Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements
    E85 ethanol capability

"The changes to the 3.6L V-6 represent greater refinements to an already well-balanced package, including the use of new, lighter-weight components and enhancements designed to improve performance, efficiency and durability." GM

Aluminum Engine Block and Integral Oil Pan
    The 3.6L V-6 VVT's engine block is cast from A319 aluminum alloy. This aluminum-intensive construction means less weight and greater efficiency than conventional cast-iron engines – and less weight translates to improved vehicle fuel economy. The sand-mold-cast block features strong cast-in iron bore liners, six-bolt main caps, and inter-bay breather vents. A cast aluminum oil pan is stiffened to improve powertrain rigidity and reduce vehicle vibration.

Rotating Assembly with Oil-Spray Cooled Pistons
    The crankshaft is manufactured from forged steel, while the connecting rods are made of powdered metal that features a higher ratio of copper, which makes them stronger and enables them to be lighter. The V-6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability.

Integrated Cylinder Heads/Exhaust Manifolds
    The LFX's new cylinder head design has a revised intake port design that enhances airflow to the combustion chambers. Larger-diameter intake valves are used in the heads and work in conjunction with new, longer-duration intake camshafts to provide the engine's boost in horsepower. By using larger valves and holding them open longer, more of the air is pulled into the combustion chamber, for a more powerful combustion. The exhaust manifold is incorporated with the cylinder head, which saves weight, reduces complexity and helps promote a quicker light off of the catalytic converter, which further helps reduce emissions.

Direct Injection
    Direct injection moves the point where fuel feeds into an engine closer to the point where it ignites, enabling greater combustion efficiency. It fosters a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture, and it operates at a lower temperature than conventional port injection. That allows the mixture to be leaner (less fuel and more air), so less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional, port injection fuel system. Direct injection also delivers reduced emissions, particularly cold-start emissions, which are cut by about 25 percent.

E85 Flex-Fuel Capability
    E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions in the combustion process. It can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste and even municipal waste.

Dual Overhead Cams with Four Valves per Cylinder and Silent Cam Drive
    Four-valves-per-cylinder with inverted-tooth chain cam drive contributes to the smoothness and high output of the LFX. The engine incorporates a timing chain with an inverted tooth design. These smaller links engage at a lower impact speed, which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the smaller pitch chain, the number of teeth on the sprockets are increased, which increases the meshing frequency and further reduces noise and vibration. Four valves per cylinder and a silent chain valvetrain contribute to both smoothness and high output. Four-cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary.

Variable Valve Timing
    Variable valve timing (VVT), or cam phasing, helps the LFX deliver optimal performance and efficiency, and reduced emissions. It allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or driveability. The system changes valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for a variety of operating conditions. At idle, for example, the cam is at the full advanced position, enabling exceptionally smooth idle quality. Under other operating demands, cam phasing adjusts to deliver optimal valve timing for performance, driveability and fuel economy. At high rpm it might retard timing to maximize airflow through the engine and increase horsepower. At low rpm it can advance timing to increase torque. Under light-load driving it can retard timing at all engine speeds to improve fuel economy.

Composite Intake Manifold and Fully Isolated Composite Camshaft Covers
    The upper intake manifold for the LFX is made from composite material and provides mass savings over an aluminum manifold, with a carefully designed structure that helps ensure quiet engine operation. The surfaces on the cam covers are shaped to limit the broadcasting of undesirable noise, and the covers use isolating perimeter gaskets, as well as isolating radial lips around the tubes that accommodate the spark plugs. These effectively de-couple the covers from vibration generated in the block and engine during combustion. Acoustic dampening has also been added for additional NVH improvements.

Refinement, Durability and Maintenance
    Additional changes incorporated in the LFX deliver greater refinement, quietness and durability, starting with revisions to the front cover. It was redesigned with additional support ribs on the backside and an additional fastener to improve noise and vibration characteristics. The cylinder block is modified slightly to accommodate the front cover's additional fastener. Also, the camshafts feature new saddle-type caps for improved durability. Finally, the throttle body is updated with a new, digital throttle position feature that eliminates a previous mechanical contact for more trouble-free operation.

Atonini86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I purchased a used 2013 ATS 3.6L RWD last week and I noticed that it idled REALLY rough, especially after it sits for any period of time. As the car runs, it seems to get a bit smoother. I took it in for service upon first noticing this, and the dealership was very helpful... They mentioned that there was an ECM and Fuel module upgrade that my ATS required and did the install and reprogram. Car ran great for a day or two, then the rough idle turned into more of a shudder, and developed into a harmonic vibration from time to time when the car is not in montion. I took the car back in for service and they pulled another 2013 ATS with the same miles (just under 5k) and let it idle next to mine... it did the EXACT same thing.

The lead technician for the dealership said that he did my upgrade install as well as the reprograming and he blamed the rough idle on the new direct injected 3.6L motors. He assured me that it was normal, and that if it became any sort of issue that GM would release a bulletin and I would be informed immediately. Anyone else hear anything?

-2013 ATS RWD

joewins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium

The ECM update was applied to my car a few weeks ago as well. It did nothing to help, in fact it's worse than it was before sometimes...

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

you should be getting a survey in the mail please mark extremely satisfied.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 3.6

At around 7g's my idle calmed down. Much smoother now at 12'gs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonini86 View Post
    I purchased a used 2013 ATS 3.6L RWD last week and I noticed that it idled REALLY rough, especially after it sits for any period of time. As the car runs, it seems to get a bit smoother. I took it in for service upon first noticing this, and the dealership was very helpful... They mentioned that there was an ECM and Fuel module upgrade that my ATS required and did the install and reprogram. Car ran great for a day or two, then the rough idle turned into more of a shudder, and developed into a harmonic vibration from time to time when the car is not in montion. I took the car back in for service and they pulled another 2013 ATS with the same miles (just under 5k) and let it idle next to mine... it did the EXACT same thing.

The lead technician for the dealership said that he did my upgrade install as well as the reprograming and he blamed the rough idle on the new direct injected 3.6L motors. He assured me that it was normal, and that if it became any sort of issue that GM would release a bulletin and I would be informed immediately. Anyone else hear anything?

-2013 ATS RWD

quaraong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L

I dropped my 2014 3.6L at the dealer yesterday for them to fix the engine trembling at idle issue. They won't be able to get to my car til Tuesday. If they tell me there is nothin they can do (I have mentioned about the ECM and FPCM update), I will try Marvel Mystery Oil as duneless suggested.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 ATS4 3.6

As I found the oil doest last that long just cleaning out crap. But each car is a little different. Rough idle is back.Let us know how it goes at the dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by quaraong View Post
    I dropped my 2014 3.6L at the dealer yesterday for them to fix the engine trembling at idle issue. They won't be able to get to my car til Tuesday. If they tell me there is nothin they can do (I have mentioned about the ECM and FPCM update), I will try Marvel Mystery Oil as duneless suggested.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.