Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by torkibe So you have modded your engine in some way to cause you to deviate from the ...
    Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Re: Rough idle like many of you on my 2013 ats 3.6l awd

Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    So you have modded your engine in some way to cause you to deviate from the manufacturer's, as well as the majority of the automotive community's, recommended gasoline?

I wish that some of these topics had been covered before. It sure would make these discussions easier. If only there was a search feature or something.
    Where do you figure GJB has modified his car? The 3.6 has 11.5:1 compression ratio. Although 87 octane is recommended, higher octane won't hurt and may be better. GJB is using recommended TopTier fuel.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    Where do you figure GJB has modified his car? The 3.6 has 11.5:1 compression ratio. Although 87 octane is recommended, higher octane won't hurt and may be better. GJB is using recommended TopTier fuel.

Torkibe, exactly what Max stated. No mods just recommended top tier fuel and my decision to run premium 93. As I had posted, my car ran fine on regular 87 my decision was based on the ATS high compression engine and an understanding that the knock sensor is compensating when it detects a knock using lower octane. I'd rather that sensor not detect a knock to compensate for.
    Maxplot likes this.

joewins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium

Finally, there's a bulletin for this. I hope it applies to the 3.6.

-----------------------------
    ENGINE (PWS)
    Bulletin No: PI-1092
    Date of Bulletin: 01/06/2014
    Summary Description:
    CADILLAC: WHEN ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, A ROUGH IDLENESS IS FELT IN SEAT OF VEHICLE AND THE SOFTWARE NEEDS UPDATED CALIBRATIONS FOR REPROGRAMMING ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) AND FUEL PUMP CONTROL MODULE (FPCM), SEPARATELY. MODE

https://www.ownersite.com/tsb/tsbs.c.../CADILLAC/ATS/

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by joewins View Post

ENGINE (PWS)
    Summary Description:
    CADILLAC: WHEN ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, A ROUGH IDLENESS IS FELT IN SEAT OF VEHICLE AND THE SOFTWARE NEEDS UPDATED CALIBRATIONS FOR REPROGRAMMING ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) AND FUEL PUMP CONTROL MODULE (FPCM), SEPARATELY. MODE

Hopefully someone familiar with this will jump in because this does not look like the one that came out eariler for the 4 cyl.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Torkibe, exactly what Max stated. No mods just recommended top tier fuel and my decision to run premium 93. As I had posted, my car ran fine on regular 87 my decision was based on the ATS high compression engine and an understanding that the knock sensor is compensating when it detects a knock using lower octane. I'd rather that sensor not detect a knock to compensate for.
    No, it won't hurt. There is also no benefit. As has been stated, 87 is the recommended fuel, not 93. The purpose of the knock sensor is just that, to compensate if there IS any knocking. There should be little to no knock with 87, and if there is enough for you to detect without specialized equipment then there is probably a bigger issue with your engine. Performance and gas mileage is not affected in any way. All you are doing by using a higher grade fuel is wasting money.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by joewins View Post

ENGINE (PWS)
    Summary Description:

I *think* that is the older service bulletin that only applies to the 2.0 turbo engine . It's been out for a few months now. I hope I'm wrong because that would be the icing on the cake after getting my seat corrected. Then my car would be perfect!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Hopefully someone familiar with this will jump in because this does not look like the one that came out eariler for the 4 cyl.
    Actually, you may be right. It has a date of 1/6. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

GJB

[QUOTE=torkibe;11669794]No, it won't hurt. There is also no benefit. As has been stated, 87 is the recommended fuel, not 93. The purpose of the knock sensor is just that, to compensate if there IS any knocking. There should be little to no knock with 87, and if there is enough for you to detect without specialized equipment then there is probably a bigger issue with your engine. Performance and gas mileage is not affected in any way. All you are doing by using a higher grade fuel is wasting money.[COLOR="Silver"]

So why do you care how I chose to spend my money? I bought an ATS instead of an Accord so to some people I wasted my money before the first fill up. As for it won't help that is your opinion and I respect that so please respect mine. Recommended minimums and not doing damage does not equal wasting money by going above a minimum standard in octane and detergent. If I were leasing with the intent of turning it in I would run regular 87. Most manufactures focus for maintenance is to get you through the warranty period without it costing them more, after that their unpublished recommendation is to buy a new one.
    Maxplot likes this.

No, it won't hurt. There is also no benefit. As has been stated, 87 is the recommended fuel, not 93. The purpose of the knock sensor is just that, to compensate if there IS any knocking. There should be little to no knock with 87, and if there is enough for you to detect without specialized equipment then there is probably a bigger issue with your engine. Performance and gas mileage is not affected in any way. All you are doing by using a higher grade fuel is wasting money.
    I disagree with you that there is no benefit.

I have actually heard pre-ignition (knock) and have documented it in an earlier post. Since you are so fond of the search engine, you know how to find it.

Just because the engine "can" run on 87 does not mean that is the best fuel. I'm sure a little marketing is going on when Cadillac says the car "can" run on 87. I have been monitoring my fuel mileage and I get better with 89 or 91 than with 87. I have a tank of 87 in now to do another comparison. The manual says recommended fuel is 87 "or higher".
    trimtab81 likes this.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

I also run 93 most of the time in my 3.6. It's just a better fuel. People say there is no difference. I feel the difference in the higher fuel. If I have a choice to just get by on McDonald's or eating lobster. I choose lobster. That's just me though.I think my car deserves better than the bottom fuel. And I'm far from rich.

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

I'm just going to stop before I have to rehash an argument that has been had ad nauseam on car forums all over the internet. If it makes you feel better, go for it.

GJB

I'm just going to stop before I have to rehash an argument that has been had ad nauseam on car forums all over the internet. If it makes you feel better, go for it.
    torkibe, I get your point and I do not think you are wrong. And I agree with your comment about the internet forums consensus with the caveat being high compression engines. In serious discussions on the subject this and detergent are the areas where they shift their opinion some. All the premium auto makers who require premium fuel are doing so because of the compression ratios. GM engineered the ATS to accept regular without causing damage but its still a high compression engine and no one likes pre mature (anything).. Like everything its a choice and nothing more, I'm not trying to make anyone switch I'm just doing my thing.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have never put regular in mine. I have tried both plus and premium. I can't tell a difference, but maybe that is because I don't drive it hard enough to tell.

A colleague at work said his dad used to drive the fuel tanker trucks that deliver fuel to gas stations. He told me that when they had extra regular fuel on the truck and the gas station regular tank was full, his dad would just dump it in the premium underground tank. So, you really never know what quality fuel you get at the pump. Who knows if the octane is correct. In mountain states, "regular" is 85 octane, so you have to watch out. Same with Top Tier. Who knows if they really adhere to the guidelines for the Top Tier rating.

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

A colleague at work said his dad used to drive the fuel tanker trucks that deliver fuel to gas stations. He told me that when they had extra regular fuel on the truck and the gas station regular tank was full, his dad would just dump it in the premium underground tank. So, you really never know what quality fuel you get at the pump. Who knows if the octane is correct. In mountain states, "regular" is 85 octane, so you have to watch out. Same with Top Tier. Who knows if they really adhere to the guidelines for the Top Tier rating.
    If he did do this it is highly illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    If he did do this it is highly illegal.
    Duh!

Backin82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6L

I too have a 3.6L AWD. I just picked up my car today from the dealership after receiving the newest ECM update. As for today it seems that the software update has fixed the issue. The car idles smoothly when fully warm and I haven't experienced the rough idle I had before. I will be interested to see over the next few weeks if this continues to be the solution and also what change it has, if any, to the fuel economy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.