Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I can't turn off the traction control in my 2013 ATS Premium (with 3K miles). I live in Dallas and ...
    paz
    paz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective?

I can't turn off the traction control in my 2013 ATS Premium (with 3K miles). I live in Dallas and we are in the middle of a 3-4 day ice storm. My driveway ends in short but very steep incline. I cannot get the ATS out of the driveway because traction control keeps activating and shutting down the engine rpm - I've even tried flooring the pedal and nothing happens. I pressed the TCS off button, but nothing happens. On my Corvette I have to hold the TCS off button for 2 seconds. On the ATS I tried pressing, holding for 1 sec; 2 sec; 5 sec; 10; etc. and nothing happens. My dealer seems to be closed. Service dept. doesn't answer. I guess they couldn't get out of the driveway!

What's the trick? Is the system defective?

Before any wise-guys start telling me how to drive in winter weather, let me tell you I grew up in Pennsylvania, lived 10 years in Canada and 6 years in Anchorage, Alaska on the side of a mountain. I got my kids Fiat 500 and my C6 Corvette out of this driveway, and every other car we've ever owned - on the first attempt.

BTW: I hate Human verification ads

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

same2you is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective?

paz

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I read the manual. Any other pearls of wisdom?

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

mine goes off with a quick push of the button; I don't hold it down for any length of time.

paz

Thanks, Ragtop 99, That helps. Mine must need service.
    Could it be something simple like a fuse?

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

I haven't looked at the owner's manual for fuse layout. Probably a bad switch.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

I vote for a bad switch also - but as an additional test, by holding it down for 5 secs does it then turn off the remaining electronic nannies (noted by the appropriate light illuminating in the instrument cluster)?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

While I don't have an ATS, I recently learned this about my CTS-V. Maybe it's similar in the ATS.

Pressing the TC/Stability control....

Once = TC OFF and SC ON
    Twice = Competition Mode (TC OFF and SC gives you more leash, but still stepping in before you kill yourself)
    PRESS & HOLD the button for 5 seconds turns off everything. (This is the part I recently learned)

Hope that helps.
    iVwishing likes this.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

For my car one click turns it off. To completely turn of TC and stabilitrack push once then push again and hold for about 6 seconds and both lights will come on in the dash.
    iVwishing likes this.

paz

Thanks gohawk63,
    The TC/Stability control on my Corvette functions exactly like your CTS-V, so I know what you are saying. I tried that sequence and any other I could imagine and no TCS-off light AND TCS still not letting me get the ATS out of the driveway. For the record, the ATS manual says just press the TCS-off button. I'm going to call OnStar and ask for a diagnostics test, but I doubt the test digs this deep.

BTW: Be careful while driving your powerful V with both TC and SC off. I've only done this in my vette in straight line hard driving. I've read that a lot of serious weekend racers like to leave it in Competition mode.
    gohawks63 likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by paz View Post
    Thanks gohawk63,
    The TC/Stability control on my Corvette functions exactly like your CTS-V, so I know what you are saying. I tried that sequence and any other I could imagine and no TCS-off light AND TCS still not letting me get the ATS out of the driveway. For the record, the ATS manual says just press the TCS-off button. I'm going to call OnStar and ask for a diagnostics test, but I doubt the test digs this deep.

BTW: Be careful while driving your powerful V with both TC and SC off. I've only done this in my vette in straight line hard driving. I've read that a lot of serious weekend racers like to leave it in Competition mode.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't trust myself and have too much respect for the vehicle to turn everything completely off. I have heard that the car will get sideways pretty quickly.

Good luck.

paz

I called OnStar. As I suspected the diagnostics test cannot detect the TCS problem. The test results indicated everything was fine. The OnStar agent read the TCS off portion of the manual to me. I remained polite and said "Thank You". I will have to take it in for service on Monday. I'll check back and let you know what service has to say about the problem. It's still going to be frozen here on Monday, so I guess I'll have to sand the driveway!

I am starting another thread about keyfob and Driver 1 and Driver 2 memory. If you have experience with this please look at the thread.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by paz View Post
    I called OnStar. As I suspected the diagnostics test cannot detect the TCS problem. The test results indicated everything was fine. The OnStar agent read the TCS off portion of the manual to me. I remained polite and said "Thank You". I will have to take it in for service on Monday. I'll check back and let you know what service has to say about the problem. It's still going to be frozen here on Monday, so I guess I'll have to sand the driveway!

I am starting another thread about keyfob and Driver 1 and Driver 2 memory. If you have experience with this please look at the thread.
    Hello paz,

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to turn your traction control off in your ATS. I do see that you had an appointment yesterday to look into this further at the dealership. Do you have any updates as to what was found?

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice
    Did you try the Snow Mode by chance? I think it only allows moving from second gear but have not had the opportunity to try yet. Regarding turning off TC and Stabiltrak I think you are doing it correct.

stlbigboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Mine is now doing the same thing. I have an appointment on Tuesday for an error for my lights and I guess I will tag this on. Three weeks and three visits. I'm beginning to remember why I quit buying gm products. I just can't believe that my car, with as weird as the idle is, is within spec. I still need to test drive another one but I can't believe that all ats 3.6 models idle like this. Just beginning to be very disappointed after my initial impression was so good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.