Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; What issues for idling do you have? Does it stumble once in a great while when the engine is not ...
    oachalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD

Re: Can't turn-off TCS Traction control - is it defective?

What issues for idling do you have? Does it stumble once in a great while when the engine is not up to temp? I get an idle stumble once in a while, but that is normal. My old Saturn aura had the 3.6L (non DI) in it and it did that as well. My 3.6 in my ATS idles 10 times smoother than the 3.0T engine in an audi s4 a guy I work with has.

stlbigboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Just thought I would give an update - noticed that the TPMS system was reporting a slightly lower than normal air pressure in one of my tires and it occurs to me. It's not letting me turn off the TCS because of the low pressure. Turns out my theory was correct. Got the tires to the 32/35 and all is good on the Traction Control issue. Interesting though that the dealer didn't check tire pressure when they rotated the tires and did the oil change. I would have just that that would have been checked. Even though, I have to say that thanks to our GM friends here, I have a meeting on Tuesday with the local GM rep and Cadillac Service Manager. Will keep you posted about the lights issue and the idle issue.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wow, now there is some information which is useful for everyone to know! Traction control will not disengage if the air pressure is low in a tire. Wow.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Pretty damn smart since low tire pressure may lead to a blow out where traction and stability are needed.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah, that is smart. Wow.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Pretty damn smart since low tire pressure may lead to a blow out where traction and stability are needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    Yeah, that is smart. Wow.
    Is there more to this story?

I mean why didn't the car notify the OP that the tire(s) had too low of pressure if they were low enough to prevent TC being turned off? If it didn't, its not that smart.

stlbigboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Not really anything more. Yes I was running a little low in air but it never occurred to me that that might be the reason why the TCS wouldn't turn off. If this is indeed the case i tend to agree, this is a great safety measure. It was literally like a light bulb moment. Just wanted to pass on the info. I have been having other issues but I don't think they were related.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by stlbigboy
    Just thought I would give an update - noticed that the TPMS system was reporting a slightly lower than normal air pressure in one of my tires and it occurs to me. It's not letting me turn off the TCS because of the low pressure. Turns out my theory was correct. Got the tires to the 32/35 and all is good on the Traction Control issue. Interesting though that the dealer didn't check tire pressure when they rotated the tires and did the oil change. I would have just that that would have been checked. Even though, I have to say that thanks to our GM friends here, I have a meeting on Tuesday with the local GM rep and Cadillac Service Manager. Will keep you posted about the lights issue and the idle issue.
    same in the vette. Limits the ability to drop the pressure at the drag strip without using a pressure canister.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
    same in the vette. Limits the ability to drop the pressure at the drag strip without using a pressure canister.
    I wonder if you lowered the pressure AFTER starting the car and turning TC off if it would leave it off. Would be a hassle to pump them back up and go thru that every pass but better than wasting the day if you discovered this at the track.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by stlbigboy View Post
    Not really anything more. Yes I was running a little low in air but it never occurred to me that that might be the reason why the TCS wouldn't turn off. If this is indeed the case i tend to agree, this is a great safety measure. It was literally like a light bulb moment. Just wanted to pass on the info. I have been having other issues but I don't think they were related.
    So what is a little low and/or do you know what TP the TC will not cancel? Reason I ask is when in snow sometimes you need to turn the TC off and if your tires are low you might not get anywhere in heavy snow especially up a hill.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

This could explain why sometimes I see "Traction Control Enabled" for brief periods of time once in a while after I have turned it off. I did just adjust the pressures since it's gotten pretty cold lately. They're 32/35 at 32F now, so should be no problems.

paz
    paz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Problem solved. Sorry to get back to this late. As some have mentioned, if the TPMS registers low pressure, the traction control cannot be turned off. One rear tire was down to 23 psi due to a small screw. While some think not allowing TC to be turned off is brilliant, I do not. It WOULD be brilliant if the computer were programmed to allow TC to be turned off at low speeds so in the event that your car is on ice you can get it moving. Looks like the GM programmers have not thought this the whole way through.

Matt M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS

I ran into this as well. Took a bit to figure out that a couple tires at 32psi was enough of a concern to disable the TC button.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.