HID question
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID question in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I did the HID install. My lights come right on and work great...... For about 5 - 10 mins. Then ...
  1. #1
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    I did the HID install. My lights come right on and work great...... For about 5 - 10 mins. Then both shut off. I have to turn car off and then they come right back on, work for a few mins and shut off again. Never had a prob with this in the past with installs. I usually reverse the polarity with cars that have drl. I tried without doing that and they came right on. No flickering or anything. They just shut off. I heard the anti flicker is not needed and my car is equipped with drl. Any suggestions ? Thanks

    Ps I'm on my cell and I'm sure there's a thread on this already but couldn't find it.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Renovatis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    27
    Posts
    25

    Re: HID question

    Did you install resistors? Also are you testing them in the dark or in light? Mine used to do the same thing in the day time but would stay on at night.

  4. #3
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatis
    Did you install resistors? Also are you testing them in the dark or in light? Mine used to do the same thing in the day time but would stay on at night.
    I didn't install resistors. I've never had to in the past with cars I've had equipped with drl. I tried in the daylight as well as at night. Same thing. Doesn't make sense as they don't flicker at all. They work perfect for a bit then both go out and I have to shut off the car to make them work again.

  5. #4
    redhead_823 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T M6 RWD
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ortonville, MI
    Posts
    29

    Re: HID question

    Mine did a similar thing but only lasted a couple minutes. I didn't find a solution.

  6. #5
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter
    Yeah well Cadillac was zero help. They refuse to deactivate the drls. I need a solution ASAP. This is ridiculous. Still don't understand why every luxury car wouldn't have them standard. I wanted the manual transmission and for that I had to sacrifice the awd and the hid/led lights.

  7. #6
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: HID question

    theres something unusual about our cars and the power they send to the lights, my kit fired up as reliably as factory but i had the can-bus capacitors which act as a line conditioner feeding the ballasts nice smooth power, and they worked just as reliably as DRLs too, the only issue i had was a very slight flickering on the passenger side only at idle, and when i called them about this they told me it sounds like the power might be slightly off on that side and said the capacitors in the can-bus cable may not be large enough, so they hand built me a plug in capacitor cable for free, they only charged shipping. the other was not even really an issue, but the non HID ATS projector is what is known as an upside down projector in that the bulb when installed correctly the electrode wire is up casing a slight shadow in the beam, i didn't really mind this becase the light output was so nice even the shadow area was lit nicer than stock, but again the told me how to address it, by slight trimming of the tab to rotate the bulb, this is fine because the tabs needed trimming anyway, since the ATS bulb is a 9012, and HID bulbs came as a 9006, some HID bulbs are already trimmed to work in both some are not.....go check them out they are called the retrofit source....i'm sad because i've since upgraded to a '14 premium with HID, and the factory HID is not near as nice as theirs it was simply beautiful and they don't make the rare D3S bulb the premium uses, or i would change them.

    these guys are the only company i would buy HID from, from now on based on how they performed and how they treated me

  8. #7
    redhead_823 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T M6 RWD
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ortonville, MI
    Posts
    29

    Re: HID question

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    theres something unusual about our cars and the power they send to the lights, my kit fired up as reliably as factory but i had the can-bus capacitors which act as a line conditioner feeding the ballasts nice smooth power, and they worked just as reliably as DRLs too, the only issue i had was a very slight flickering on the passenger side only at idle, and when i called them about this they told me it sounds like the power might be slightly off on that side and said the capacitors in the can-bus cable may not be large enough, so they hand built me a plug in capacitor cable for free, they only charged shipping. the other was not even really an issue, but the non HID ATS projector is what is known as an upside down projector in that the bulb when installed correctly the electrode wire is up casing a slight shadow in the beam, i didn't really mind this becase the light output was so nice even the shadow area was lit nicer than stock, but again the told me how to address it, by slight trimming of the tab to rotate the bulb, this is fine because the tabs needed trimming anyway, since the ATS bulb is a 9012, and HID bulbs came as a 9006, some HID bulbs are already trimmed to work in both some are not.....go check them out they are called the retrofit source....i'm sad because i've since upgraded to a '14 premium with HID, and the factory HID is not near as nice as theirs it was simply beautiful and they don't make the rare D3S bulb the premium uses, or i would change them.

    these guys are the only company i would buy HID from, from now on based on how they performed and how they treated me
    What brand did you use?

  9. #8
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: HID question

    the retrofit source, when i called and told them about the flicker and the shadow they were stoked to hear from me made the cable and thanked me and said they will add my input to their database so they can make better recommendations to future Cadillac customers, they are super into lighting so much so they bought the HIDplanet forum to keep it from dieing......please give them a call...you'll be glad

  10. #9
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    the retrofit source, when i called and told them about the flicker and the shadow they were stoked to hear from me made the cable and thanked me and said they will add my input to their database so they can make better recommendations to future Cadillac customers, they are super into lighting so much so they bought the HIDplanet forum to keep it from dieing......please give them a call...you'll be glad
    Ok so all you had to do to fix it was install capacitors?

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    the retrofit source, when i called and told them about the flicker and the shadow they were stoked to hear from me made the cable and thanked me and said they will add my input to their database so they can make better recommendations to future Cadillac customers, they are super into lighting so much so they bought the HIDplanet forum to keep it from dieing......please give them a call...you'll be glad
    Ok so all you added was caps and the problem is gone? Mine don't even flicker. They work perfect for a few mins and then both shut off.

  11. #10
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: HID question

    my guess is ballast they are unhappy, because you have the power to fire them up, i was nervous when i self installed the kit the BAM, they jumped on every single time i couldn't have been more pleased. HID kits seem something of a black art, with widely varying quality, since this was my first Cadillac i didn't want to fool around and i look for the best i could find, TRS kits are roughly double what you'd pay for others but they have a 5 year warranty and was still under $200 so still cheap in my book, and i wouldn't trade $100 savings for any of the problems i keep reading about with Various kits

  12. #11
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter
    Yeah I just picked up a more expensive set of ballasts. They are can bus so they speak back to the computer and have caps built in. I'll put them in today and keep you all posted. Fingers crossed

  13. #12
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter

    Re: HID question

    yup that did the trick. Installed the CAN BUS hid ballasts and not a single issue. Provides a nice steady current and is completely plug and play. Lights work perfectly!!! You'll need ones like these. As long as they are CAN BUS then this is all you need. It took me all of about 45 mins to install both sides going through the wheel wells including drilling out the plastic cap that goes over the back of the headlight assembly to feed the wires through. Don't waste your money at an install place that tells you you need all sorts of crap. This is a very simple install. No more cheap ebay HID ballasts for this guy. Spend a little more on these and you'll be happy you did. ATS takes a 9006 headlight bulb.

    http://www.xenonexpress.com/image/ca...us-650x650.jpg

  14. #13
    Stevo Supremo's Avatar
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: HID question

    yeah in Canada with the DRL's you HAVE to install DRL relay harnesses or the lights will come on than die off. IF you bought REALLY good ballasts and NO relays the lights will appear to function fine for a while but will soon show the same symptoms.

    If you live in Canada you MUST INSTALL DRL RELAYS or you WILL murder your ballasts it may not happen right away, but one night your lights WILL show the symptoms I guarantee it.

    I found out the hard way, I killed a ballast

  15. #14
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: HID question

    That's the point of the capacitors protects the ballast a ballast with them built in sounds nice and simple

  16. #15
    turbo_ats's Avatar
    turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    32
    Thread Starter

    Re: HID question

    Just get CAN BUS ones. No worries there as they communicate with the computer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting