The latest fix for smelly A/C
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, The latest fix for smelly A/C in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Going to take the car in on Thursday for the fix. Will be going to Ed Morse, Delray Beach, FL. ...
    flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

The latest fix for smelly A/C

Going to take the car in on Thursday for the fix. Will be going to Ed Morse, Delray Beach, FL. It was their shop that figured out the problem and the fix. Originally, they were removing the dashboard (among other things), but now, with gained experience, they only have to remove the exhaust and lower the transmission to get to the parts that they have to service. My SA assured me that these actions were no "big deal" and everything should be back in order by the end of the day. I certainly agonized about having it done as one can imagine the squeaks and rattling that can go on after a fix like this. But, as was pointed out, if the condition exists, it will only get worse and then it can become an even bigger job. So, I'm listening to my SA and looking to prevent more problems and will bit the bullet on Thursday. No bulletin has be sent, but the Cadillac service centers should be aware of the fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Re: The latest fix for smelly A/C

Interesting. A coworkers father had his ATS to a local dealer (he lives in delray), and they had the car for over a week tearing it all apart to deodorize yet they didn't call it a 'fix'....

I'm interested how yours turns out, I work in delray and it would be super simple to drop it off there. Tired of the stink
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
    Interesting. A coworkers father had his ATS to a local dealer (he lives in delray), and they had the car for over a week tearing it all apart to deodorize yet they didn't call it a 'fix'....

I'm interested how yours turns out, I work in delray and it would be super simple to drop it off there. Tired of the stink
    Yeah, Mike, the "tear apart everything" was part of the original try at fixing the stink. But, now after several tries Ed Morse has figured out how to do the fix without ripping everything apart. However, I do believe that if they do find that some parts within the dash have to be changes, oh well... But they do everything they can not togo that route.

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Yeah, Mike, the "tear apart everything" was part of the original try at fixing the stink. But, now after several tries Ed Morse has figured out how to do the fix without ripping everything apart. However, I do believe that if they do find that some parts within the dash have to be changes, oh well... But they do everything they can not togo that route.
    Fun

Keep us informed, and let them know there's another job lined up for them if they do it right
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Originally, they were removing the dashboard (among other things), but now, with gained experience, they only have to remove the exhaust and lower the transmission to get to the parts that they have to service. My SA assured me that these actions were no "big deal" and everything should be back in order by the end of the day. I certainly agonized about having it done as one can imagine the squeaks and rattling that can go on after a fix like this.
    Wow... Just wow... I think I will just always remember to turn off the compressor a few miles before my destination and let the vent fan blow out the duct work. That is what I have been doing so far, and it works well enough. Tearing the car apart... Well, like you said, I would be afraid of potential negative side-effects of ripping everything apart.

At any rate, may you have the best of luck with this fix.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    Wow... Just wow... I think I will just always remember to turn off the compressor a few miles before my destination and let the vent fan blow out the duct work. That is what I have been doing so far, and it works well enough. Tearing the car apart... Well, like you said, I would be afraid of potential negative side-effects of ripping everything apart.

At any rate, may you have the best of luck with this fix.
    I had that entire dash of a previous Infiniti G37 removed to fix something with the heater core, and they never did get the dash put back in correctly. Parts were scratched. Parts rattled. Parts did not fit correctly. I complained and returned to the service dept several times until I decided that since I leased that car, I would just turn it in when the lease was up and not worry about it. Since I am not leasing my ATS, no way would I have the dash taken apart after my experience with the G37.

P.S. I do not have the moldy smell in my A/C and I just leave it on Auto all the time.

At present the fix does not entail removing the dash. And, once again, the SA told me that the fix was essentially a routine nuts and bolts job. I will know by tomorrow if I will need ear plugs to lessen any ensuing rattles.

Here's the actual fix...

Hold on, if you do have the smell than you have to be willing to have a lot of work done. I did because the problem would only get worse and my SA swore that it was straight forward and easy to do??? Here's what they did...

The A/C evaporator and blower module drain hose was replaced. The problem was that the drain hose stuck up above the bottom drain catchment, thus not allowing for the full drainage of the condensed water. And here's how they had to do it:
    Remove exhaust system, drive shaft, heat shields, and transmission mount to access A/C drain.

I really don't know if there will now be no smell; we'll have to wait for tomorrow after the car has been driven for a while and sits overnight.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Did they get humpty dumpty put back together again into one fully functional piece?

Picked up the car yesterday...the fix is in! Only drove about 9 miles. Took it on I95 for about 2 miles, punching it every so often without problems. When I take it out of the garage today, I'll check for any leaks on the floor. But, as far as I can tell, the bits and pieces seem to be in place. As for the start up smell, doesn't seem to be present. But, then again, I never noticed it.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Picked up the car yesterday...the fix is in! Only drove about 9 miles. Took it on I95 for about 2 miles, punching it every so often without problems. When I take it out of the garage today, I'll check for any leaks on the floor. But, as far as I can tell, the bits and pieces seem to be in place. As for the start up smell, doesn't seem to be present. But, then again, I never noticed it.

Fly if you never noticed the A/C Smell why did you get it fixed?
    DiabloMike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Fly if you never noticed the A/C Smell why did you get it fixed?
    It's really my wife's drive and she said she noticed the smell. As there is a built-in fault in the design of the condensation drain (drain tube sits to high above the level of the condensate) not allowing for a full drain of the condensate, and it can only get worse-adding bacteria and mold to the mix, and my trusted SA said that the fix was a mechanical no-brainer=easy (yeah, what do I know?), I figured that it would be better to do it now than wait. Yeah, I took a chance (as we all did with a beta-car)...
    GJB likes this.

joewins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium

It's really my wife's drive and she said she noticed the smell. As there is a built-in fault in the design of the condensation drain (drain tube sits to high above the level of the condensate) not allowing for a full drain of the condensate, and it can only get worse-adding bacteria and mold to the mix, and my trusted SA said that the fix was a mechanical no-brainer=easy (yeah, what do I know?), I figured that it would be better to do it now than wait. Yeah, I took a chance (as we all did with a beta-car)...
    So, wouldn't this mean that all 2013 ATS would be affected? My ATS doesn't have the smell that I'm aware of. Wonder why there is not a recall to get it checked/fixed.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by joewins View Post
    So, wouldn't this mean that all 2013 ATS would be affected? My ATS doesn't have the smell that I'm aware of. Wonder why there is not a recall to get it checked/fixed.
    Not necessarily. It might be a manufacturing error where the tube was just inserted too far in some cars/assemblies.

I don't know the answer, but I'm inclined to go with HD's response. If your car doesn't smell, don't do the fix. If you car does have the smell, they you have to make the decision whether or not you want the fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.