2013 ATS 2.0T 6SP Clutch engagement point on cold start
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS 2.0T 6SP Clutch engagement point on cold start in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Now that the cold weather has shown up my clutch is acting up. When I got in my vehicle in ...
    atkruz789 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 6MT Premium Opulent Blue

2013 ATS 2.0T 6SP Clutch engagement point on cold start

Now that the cold weather has shown up my clutch is acting up. When I got in my vehicle in the morning the pedal had dropped to the floor and there is about 2" of travel from the floor to the engagement point, then it is almost instantly engaged. I could pull the pedal up with my foot and it would go back to normal eventually. Only happens when it has been sitting in the cold for a while (ie during work or overnight). I took it to the dealer and they "adjusted the pedal" and that didn't fix it and took a week (how?!). So I took it back the next week and they had it for 2 more weeks to diagnose and replace the clutch pedal assembly . I got in the car this morning after getting it back and the pedal was back at the top. Then I tried to pull out...same issue with low engagement point but actuating the pedal 4-5 times it went back to normal. Seems like the new pedal has a stiffer return spring to mask the issue of the pedal going to the floor. I guess it is back to the dealer for me.

Has anyone else noticed this issue on cold start? How was it fixed or is this something I will have to get used to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    I've not had this problem, no.
    Will let you if that changes as it gets colder out.

mechevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Re: 2013 ATS 2.0T 6SP Clutch engagement point on cold start

I had that issue where the clutch depressed all the way to the floor. Apparently there was a service bulletin put out and the dealer ended up towing the car to the dealership and replacing the clutch. I noticed too that the new clutch has a stronger return. But since then (~ 4 months), everything has been good for me?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by atkruz789 View Post
    Now that the cold weather has shown up my clutch is acting up. When I got in my vehicle in the morning the pedal had dropped to the floor and there is about 2" of travel from the floor to the engagement point, then it is almost instantly engaged. I could pull the pedal up with my foot and it would go back to normal eventually. Only happens when it has been sitting in the cold for a while (ie during work or overnight). I took it to the dealer and they "adjusted the pedal" and that didn't fix it and took a week (how?!). So I took it back the next week and they had it for 2 more weeks to diagnose and replace the clutch pedal assembly . I got in the car this morning after getting it back and the pedal was back at the top. Then I tried to pull out...same issue with low engagement point but actuating the pedal 4-5 times it went back to normal. Seems like the new pedal has a stiffer return spring to mask the issue of the pedal going to the floor. I guess it is back to the dealer for me.

Has anyone else noticed this issue on cold start? How was it fixed or is this something I will have to get used to?
    Hello atkruz789,

I apologize for the vehicle concern you are experiencing with your clutch. If you would like our assistance while working with the dealer, please let us know. Contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mechevar View Post
    I had that issue where the clutch depressed all the way to the floor. Apparently there was a service bulletin put out and the dealer ended up towing the car to the dealership and replacing the clutch. I noticed too that the new clutch has a stronger return. But since then (~ 4 months), everything has been good for me?
    Hello mechevar,

I am happy to hear that you have not experienced this issue since the repair has been completed. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and please feel free to private message me if you are experiencing any further concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cadaddio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven Black ATS 2.0T/ auto

Sounds like a hydraulic issue within the clutch linkage assembly. Either the clutch master cylinder or the release bearing is bleeding down due to an internal problem, that's why you were able to "pump it up" after 4-5 cycles of the pedal to make it work as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by cadaddio View Post
    Sounds like a hydraulic issue within the clutch linkage assembly. Either the clutch master cylinder or the release bearing is bleeding down due to an internal problem, that's why you were able to "pump it up" after 4-5 cycles of the pedal to make it work as it should.
    Yeah that is what I thought all along but they have to go through the diagnosis process and I understand that. Been back at the dealer for two weeks now (holiday included so some forgiveness there) and after I showed the tech the issue myself he said they will be putting a new master cylinder on it. Part still hasn't arrived as of yesterday @ 6PM so who knows if it will get done today. At least they are making progress and hopefully I can get my car back soon, this SRX loaner is about as good on gas as my old G8 was!

Update - The master cylinder was replaced and that didn't fix the issue either. Took it back and a few days later was told that all is normal and that they won't do anything to fix the clutch or the rattles (which could not be duplicated). Cadillac customer care was called and was told to go to another dealer. They adjusted the pedal assembly which did something but I am not 100% sure what because I haven't gotten the car back for more than a weekend in the past 4 weeks. I checked it the first time and they left it under the heated entrance way so no duplication. Second time they already took it out to drive it so no luck again. Third time it was finally sitting out in the cold and it was only the first few actuations and the mechanic didn't see or experience it, just the service writer. Just frustrated and venting...

They can't seem to fix the other issues I have. I have been in contact with the brand quality manager and a GM engineer, not a field engineer, was out to look at it. At this point I am seriously considering buyback.

jsehlms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T LUX 6MT

I haven't had these types of experiences, just the 'cold fluid' hard pedal and my pedal squeaks every time.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post
    I haven't had these types of experiences, just the 'cold fluid' hard pedal and my pedal squeaks every time.
    Hi jsehlms,

Have you spoken with your dealership about your pedal squeaking? If there is anything we can do to try and help resolve this matter please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N. (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

My pedal squeaked after driving for a little while each day. I've learned my lesson on "if you don't have proof it must not have happened" so to avoid all of that nonsense I took a video of the pedal while being pressed (in my driveway), and linked to it with my service manager (we've talked plenty).
    No questions, no wasted time, the entire assembly was replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    My pedal squeaked after driving for a little while each day. I've learned my lesson on "if you don't have proof it must not have happened" so to avoid all of that nonsense I took a video of the pedal while being pressed (in my driveway), and linked to it with my service manager (we've talked plenty).
    Good to know! Thanks. I have not contacted the dealer as I'm still waiting for my purchasing dealer to get parts which needed replaced delivered to a dealer close by. I'll have a list of things for them to 'fix'.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Dealers need proof of a problem for GM to pay them to fix it. Dealers do a disservice when they just tell a customer they can't do anything unless there is a code (or published verification procedure) for a problem because it doesn't tell the whole story.

Manufacturers want proof of a problem because without it dealers could get rich doing unnecessary "repairs". I saw it first hand decades ago and saw some of the worst ones get criminal convictions for fraud. One of those bad apples even wanted to replace the engine in my new car because of a cracked block. But when I asked how they knew it was cracked, they said they found water in the oil pan and even showed it to me. Unfortunately (for them) the car was just in for a defective taillight. When they couldn't explain why they took the oil pan off, I had the car towed to another dealer who confirmed there was nothing wrong with the engine. But anyway, the cure was the current system where the dealer needs to confirm the problem to GM's satisfaction.

Cadillac absolutely does not want a customer to be denied a needed repair. I guess the typical dealer doesn't tell the whole story because it leads inevitably to exposing the unsavory tendencies of some dealers if left unchecked. Instead the dealer usually gives the customer the impression that the manufacturer is the bad guy and won't let the dealer fix some problems.

Interestingly, not all dealers receive the same scrutiny. A dealer with a history of trying to scam the manufacturer will have a harder time getting approval to fix an unusual, non-code related problem. Same for a dealer who just isn't as competent at finding the right solution. Both types cause wasted time and money. It would be great if there was a way a customer could find out where their dealer stacks up because the dealer that doesn't make mistakes (intentionally or not) probably gets the benefit of the doubt more often in those cases where there isn't a smoking gun for the problem.

If a dealer just tells you they can't fix a problem without a code or documented test for a problem, that's just half the story. What they really mean is that they don't think they can figure it out or it will take too long to figure it out and you aren't worth the extra time problem shooting and/or documenting the problem well enough to be reimbursed.

So if you can do your own documentation like Bungee91 did, its definetly the way to go because it shows GM that what the dealer wants to do is not a scam. And if you do supply your own proof of a problem and your dealer doesn't want to deal with it, switch to another dealer.

Here's the video I took.. It was nothing special but it got my point across..

Also I fully agree with what has been said.. My dealer really does want to do what's right, just helping them justify it makes it easier on everyone involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sda-mF_Gac

My videos of my car stalling have supposedly (been told) been watched by various engineers, brand quality manager, etc.. All I know is a LOT started happening once I provided them.

Best of luck to you.

Yep, that's the same squeak I have. Thanks for the video!

dirty south Guest

I recently had the same clutch issue and it was witnessed by the service guy...I'm taking it over on Monday and will update when I learn more...

Thank you Laura, for your assistance

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.