Will 215 55 17 winters fit on ats
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluztoo
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Will 215 55 17 winters fit on ats in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have some great Dunlop winters from my maxima but I think they may be a bit to tall for ...
    Johnsazzr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.9 awd

Will 215 55 17 winters fit on ats

I have some great Dunlop winters from my maxima but I think they may be a bit to tall for the ats..I do no care about the speedo being off 5%..I just don't want to mess with the abs system or have clearance problems??any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Re: Will 215 55 17 winters fit on ats

I think they will be too tall. The nominal height of the stock 225/45 17 inch tires is 225 X .45 x 2 = 202.5 mm. The nominal height of your 215/55 tires is 225 X .55 X 2 = 236.5 or 34 mm (1.34 inches) taller. The actual size varies, but this is a significant increase and might cause clearance issues, plus the handling on dry roads with these soft winter tires will be pretty mushy especially with the height increase. My advice is to buy yourself a nice set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or comparable dedicated snows. Now they even make dedicated snow tires for high performance cars like the ATS, which don't compromise the handling on dry roads as much as the original generation of Blizzaks and similar snow tires. Do some window shopping on Tire Rack and similar sites or see what your local tire shop recommends. Your ATS is worth having the right size shoes!

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD
    Tire Rack recommended 215 50 17's and that's what I went with.
    RemaxAl likes this.

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Yes, the nominal height of the sidewalls of the 215/50 tires is 215 mm (215 x .50 x 2) so the difference from the 225/45s is only 12.5 mm or 1/2 inch, which is insignificant. The tire experts often recommend a slightly narrower tire for snows, because it cuts through the snow better and does not "float" on the surface of the snow as much. I am curious about how my stock Michelins will do when we get our first serious snow in Denver, but with my RWD manual ATS, my snow vehicle is my 1999 Cherokee. I could put snows on the ATS but I don't like to gum up my beautiful car with snow, sand, and mag chloride. With those snows on Bluztoo's car, it probably handles well in the snow because of the great balance of the ATS. Fortunately, in Denver the snow usually melts within a few days except when we get one of those lollapalooza storms about once per season!

Jroca64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 T

I just picked up a set of the General Altimax Arctic 225 45 17, I have used this tire of other cars and it was a good ride, a bit soft but I never got stuck. I am having them installed on Monday, just incase we get that early season snow

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.