2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; This thread will be updated and maintained with the help of moderators (thanks to Hoosier Daddy) The issue: When coasting ...
    bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)

This thread will be updated and maintained with the help of moderators (thanks to Hoosier Daddy)

The issue: When coasting to come to a stop the vehicle engine will stall. The vehicle either doesn’t attempt to idle at all once the clutch has been depressed, or it seems to get to a lower RPM than normal (<500RPM) and then the engine just shuts off, very abruptly.

This condition seems to have some correlation to a protection feature that is designed to prevent damage to the dual mass clutch unit if RPM <500 RPM when coming to a stop and the transmission is in 3rd gear or above.

(From what I’ve gathered so far, I could be wrong)
    It seems that the ECM is making a guess to what forward gear the transmission is in as there is no physical sensor to give that info.
    Supposedly in 3rd gear or above the ECM is commanded to idle at 0 RPM.
    So that being the case if the ECM believes when coming to a stop (for whatever reason) you are in 3rd or a higher gear the car is programmed not to idle!

When going to your service department don’t be surprised if after some time/troubleshooting they decide to blame the stalling on “driver error” (it’s not right, I know), however most people with this issue have been accused of just that (myself included). There is a data logger that will work with the ATS (in case you’re told otherwise) however here's the thing though, the dealership doesn't get the data or analyze it, the engineers at the tech center does that. In my case this resulted in them finding nothing and then blaming me for the issue.
    They cannot tell if you are in neutral or not, and either have nothing that helps them to resolve the problem logged, or are not very good at analyzing data

List of users that I have seen effected with this issue and resolutions (if any):

1) Bungee91 (me)___________NHTSA ODI#: 10549456 In process of vehicle replacement
    2) Vegas ATS
    3) Exclusiveink______________NHTSA ODI#: 10549533
    4) jae7373_________________NHTSA ODI#: 10537906
    5) mechevar
    6) sd vidiot
    7) JLGT____________________NHTSA ODI#: 10548972
    8) listrats
    9) bboren994_______________NHTSA ODI#: 10549521
    10) RachelH________________NHTSA ODI#: 10549244 - GM bought back car
    11) Donavo ______________________________-_____- Lemon Law dispute, ruled in favor, GM paid out
    12) adiaz2331______________NHTSA ODI#: 10554677
    13) Kstrick24_______________NHTSA ODI#: 10554790
    14) ATS2.0T6M_________________NHTSA ODI#: 10554994
    15) mechevar_________________NHTSA ODI#: 10555432

Please file a complaint with the NHTSA it only takes 5 minutes
    the link is https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Also it is strongly advised to file a lemon law case with your respective state. For the State of Illinois (my State) you only have 1 year or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) to file, so don’t wait if you are having this issue. One user has been successful at following this path, and arbitration ruled in his favor.

Relevant threads (will try to add more if I find them)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-stalling.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cadillac.html

I have added user names that I found from the referenced threads.

Please let me know if this affects you also and I will add you to the list.
    I advise contacting the Cadillac Customer Service reps here, and I recommend having them get you in contact with a GM executive. I was initially forwarded to someone from customer service who did nothing more than document my case, and was mostly a waste of time. The executive however was much more helpful in getting things to happen.

Videos:
    3 From myself below

Stalling out twice in a row from one stop to another.

2 from forum member RachelH below

Update 2013-11-06:
    My Service manager and account executive confirm that GM is working on a fix and will issue an official bulletin once completed, there is no known ETA for the fix.
    I was told that the brand quality manager for the ATS and both engineering on the engine side and the transmission side are working on this.
    The stalling is supposedly related to the low RPM and the engine programming to cutoff due to the dual mass clutch differential (or whatever it's called).
    So apparently it is doing what it is supposed to HOWEVER the RPM should never reach that point for it to cutoff while normal operation. This is what they are working on fixing.
    I have asked for some form of reference # or something for others who are having this issue to be able to reference when speaking with their dealerships, however since it isn't an official bulletin yet, or update there is no specific # assigned that they could give me.
    Also since they don't have a fix yet, as previously stated the 2014's should be just as susceptible to this as 2013's.

Update 2013-12-04: added some resolutions and a video.
    Update 2013-12-05: added some new owners with the problem.
    Update 2013-12-05: rewrite
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)

Some victims have had data logging done by their dealer who then told them the logging proved it was driver error.

Cadillac Customer Service told someone the dealer can provide the log to the customer but does not have to.

Since its possible blame was put on the driver because of bad input to the log, owners with the problem who were data logged should ask for the log so that it can be reviewed by an independant party. If you get said log, please post a link to it. If they won't provide the log from YOUR car, please post their name in this thread. Personally, I would dump any dealer that was refusing to fix my car based on information from my car that I was not allowed to see.

Re: 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Some victims have had data logging done by their dealer who then told them the logging proved it was driver error.

Cadillac Customer Service told someone the dealer can provide the log to the customer but does not have to.

Since its possible blame was put on the driver because of bad input to the log, owners with the problem who were data logged should ask for the log so that it can be reviewed by an independant party. If you get said log, please post a link to it. If they won't provide the log from YOUR car, please post their name in this thread. Personally, I would dump any dealer that was refusing to fix my car based on information from my car that I was not allowed to see.
    Yeah that "some victim" is me...LOL
    I have just contacted the dealer that I worked with at the time, guess what?... They have a new service manager.....

Anyhow I explained the issue and he stated if he has the log file he has no problem of sharing it with me, he will need to look into it though as he's not sure if they keep that information or not. I will give the information as I get it.

If anyone has anything I can add to the first post, please share your thoughts.
    Thanks

The service manager called me back and was very helpful BTW however no logs!
    He told me that they never had the logs at all, the entire data logging unit was sent by GM and once I had data on it, it was also sent back to GM for the engineers to come up with a verdict. He said they never physically had any data from the unit.
    He said the name of the engineer who worked on my log/said I was stalling it is Jeff Waypa.

So the dealer doesn't have it, only GM tech center does. According to woman from customer service she couldn't get the log for me from GM tech/engineers.
    Anyhow around and around we go...

Hey GM customer service
    I did exactly what you asked and guess what?.. Nothing.
    So if you could please get my data log from the engineering side it'd be appreciated.
    Again the engineer who did the diagnosis is Jeff Waypa.

Hey Laura, Gregory, et al, you need to get in front of this.

You were asked to get a customer his logs. You responded that neither you or anyone at GM can give it to him but the dealer can. Now the dealer is saying GM is the only one who EVER has the logs. In addition to customers getting the runaround, unless the dealer is lieing, this makes Customer Service look bad for telling customer's bogus stuff.
    bungee91 likes this.

Hoosier Daddy - I think I did what you've requested. I understand your point. Also thanks for being so involved with this, because unless I missed something this isn't even happening to you...LOL. Thanks for helping the cause here, really!

Ok, so I have gone out and (nicely I think) PM'd all of the people on the list on the 1st post and brought attention to this new thread and asked to please file with the NHTSA (listrats, sd vidiot, & Vegas ATS's PM boxes are full, so I can't send them anything).

bboren994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

NHTSA COMPLAINT

Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10549521
    bungee91 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bboren994 View Post
    NHTSA COMPLAINT

Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10549521
    Thanks! It said your PM box was full!

Also so was Vegas ATS's.

----------

I just contacted the Fox 32 "Problem Solvers" I thought, "what the hell" maybe they'll help (I'm doubtful, but I can try).

I also have someone working on getting an internal contact at GM to look into this, this person works at a supplier for GM parts.

JLGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance

Quote Originally Posted by JLGT View Post
    Thanks, added to the O.P.

I also received a PM from Eclusiveink (thanks) and added it to the top (BTW your PM box is full!).

I have PM'd everyone I can.

----------

I'm planning to grab a webcam (a good one) and start recording and data logging (both at the same time) any time I'm in the car.
    So hopefully in the next week or two I will have some video and log files to add. Charging/swapping batteries on my camera every time gets old REAL quick.

The files will need to be sent to someone for analyzing (not sure the format, maybe not) however I'm sure I'll get to see/share the data.

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    The files will need to be sent to someone for analyzing (not sure the format, maybe not) however I'm sure I'll get to see/share the data.
    Try to get GM to tell you what specifically in the logs they got shows driver error.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Try to get GM to tell you what specifically in the logs they got shows driver error.
    My logs would have nothing to do with GM analyzing, they'd be sent to Trifecta for assistance.

bboren994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Thanks! It said your PM box was full!

Also so was Vegas ATS's.

----------

I just contacted the Fox 32 "Problem Solvers" I thought, "what the hell" maybe they'll help (I'm doubtful, but I can try).

I also have someone working on getting an internal contact at GM to look into this, this person works at a supplier for GM parts.
    I honestly don't care what GM says anymore...lol...I just want out of the car...I am hoping GM repurchases the car in my lemon process...... GT500 or Stingray here I come....lol

jae7373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 Performance AWD
    Mine has picked up the pace in stalling. Now it has done it three out of the last four days.

Vegas ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Hey guys after taking mine to the dealership it stopped stalling. The tech reflashed the computer. He said it had the updated reflash and that maybe it just didn't take the first time. It has been driven over 2000 miles now with no stalling. They had me fill the car full to the brim with gas to see if it would stall. There had been evap issues when the tank is full causing it to stall when letting off the gas. I did and no still no stalling. I hope mine is really fixed.

So Try having your dealers reflash the computer like mine did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.