2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!) - Page 10
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Has anyone experienced this with an automatic? I have an automatic that stalled while driving down the interstate. It shuttered ...
    Krism75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Re: 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)

Has anyone experienced this with an automatic? I have an automatic that stalled while driving down the interstate. It shuttered a little and then the speed started dropping. I couldn't accelerate, but managed to coast to the shoulder. Once we got to the shoulder, the car completely shut off. I was able to start it and make it down the road another mile or so and it did the same thing again. It did it 3 times in 3 miles. It was towed to a dealership and they've been trying to fix it, but it hasn't stalled on them at all and they've driven it quite a bit. They are trying to work with me and they are being very helpful, but they have no idea what caused it. I've already had to have the torque converter replaced (around 5000 miles) and now this is happening around 10,000 miles. Is it going to be in the shop every 5000 miles?

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

Re: 2013 6 Speed Manual Stalling - Affected Users Thread (It's the car, not you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Krism75 View Post
    Has anyone experienced this with an automatic?
    You mention stalling but the problem sounds like loss of power.
    Was it super cold out and/or windy where you were? Was your gas tank relatively low? Could be water in the fuel. As soon as they put the car in the shop, the problem will disappear. I am no expert but have had gas-line freeze-up many times in many decades of driving - and it sure has been cold in some areas recently ...

Krism75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the info. We were headed out on vacation and had a full tank of gas. It was probably about 50 degrees out (I'm in Alabama). I had one other stutter. I had been driving with the cruise control on. I hit a bump and the cruise control shut off. I started losing speed (obviously), but it wouldn't let me accelerate. I pulled to the side and sat for a few seconds and was able to go again (it didn't completely die).

mrasmussen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 premium 2.0t manual trans - white

here is a YouTube video of the manual stalling. Gm needs to get this resolved....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMGvphBGg8

shawn672 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet

Quote Originally Posted by mrasmussen View Post
    here is a YouTube video of the manual stalling. Gm needs to get this resolved....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMGvphBGg8
    Again, I'm hearing there's already a TSB/fix for this. Have you checked with your dealer in the past 30 days?

Kstrick24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is anyone able to actual induce this? Happen again for me yesterday but a 3-week gap from the last one

JLGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 ATS 2.0T 6MT Performance

I actually went almost a month before mine stalled again the other day. Hoping for a fix.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn672 View Post

Again, I'm hearing there's already a TSB/fix for this. Have you checked with your dealer in the past 30 days?
    There is not.. Please read this thread a bit more, I've posted info regarding this.. It is coming though but NOTHING official or even a TSB as of yet.

----------

To add some updates to my dilemma, the regional manager will personally be at my dealership tomorrow helping to get things going at a faster rate.
    The engineers had trouble uploading the new (experimental) calibration to my car. I should know more soon, will let you all know.

Just received word from my dealership, the new calibration has been uploaded and a data recorder installed.
    I'll likely be picking up my car tomorrow (waiting on an HVAC felt washer tapping fix), and will see if my car has been fixed.

If that is the case, then shortly after all manual ATS 's (even ones being built right now) will get the updated calibration.

My car did require a new ECM in order to be properly flashed. I'm told this won't be needed for others in the future.

Will let you know how this plays out.

adiaz2331 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6-Speed

Bungee,

I just picked up my car from the dealership. They had the car for 3 days. They informed me that after extensive testing and talking to the engineers, that there is a fix in the works, but is not going to be widely available until it's officially released in February. This is going to be a fix for the stalling and for the constant power steering service messages I have been getting. This may be what has been uploaded to your car. Can't wait to hear if you find any improvement.

I'm not sure what power steering errors that you're still getting, however I've received 0 in over 6 months after getting mine fixed from previous consistent errors (service power steering, etc...).

As for the calibration, it will directly depend on how it performs on my car. I was told specifically I'm getting to test this (I don't really feel honored), however that also means if mine still stalls, then it may be a while until anything is finalized. The main powertrain calibration engineer was the one who uploaded this to my vehicle earlier today.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Krism75 View Post
    Has anyone experienced this with an automatic? I have an automatic that stalled while driving down the interstate. It shuttered a little and then the speed started dropping. I couldn't accelerate, but managed to coast to the shoulder. Once we got to the shoulder, the car completely shut off. I was able to start it and make it down the road another mile or so and it did the same thing again. It did it 3 times in 3 miles. It was towed to a dealership and they've been trying to fix it, but it hasn't stalled on them at all and they've driven it quite a bit. They are trying to work with me and they are being very helpful, but they have no idea what caused it. I've already had to have the torque converter replaced (around 5000 miles) and now this is happening around 10,000 miles. Is it going to be in the shop every 5000 miles?
    Hello Krism75,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concern you are experiencing with your ATS. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message with your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Picking up car tomorrow, got delayed on account of myself.

sd vidiot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6M

Buried earlier in this thread is a suggestion on why this occurs and how to avoid it. If you are coming to a stop, with the shifter in gear but the clutch fully depressed, eventually the engine will come down to idle rpm. If the clutch is disengaged even a few millimeters from the floor, the engine shuts off rather than "lug". There seems to be something in the ecm programming that was probably intended to protect the engine. Once I learned about this I have not had a single stall. Either you must make sure the clutch is fully engaged (absolutely pressed to the floor) when you come to a stop or you need to take it out of gear while you coast to a stop. Cadillac engineering should fix this inconvenience sooner rather than later but it is not the end of the world if you know how to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by sd vidiot View Post
    Buried earlier in this thread is a suggestion on why this occurs and how to avoid it. If you are coming to a stop, with the shifter in gear but the clutch fully depressed, eventually the engine will come down to idle rpm. If the clutch is disengaged even a few millimeters from the floor, the engine shuts off rather than "lug". There seems to be something in the ecm programming that was probably intended to protect the engine. Once I learned about this I have not had a single stall. Either you must make sure the clutch is fully engaged (absolutely pressed to the floor) when you come to a stop or you need to take it out of gear while you coast to a stop. Cadillac engineering should fix this inconvenience sooner rather than later but it is not the end of the world if you know how to avoid it.

I call B.S. and my videos (for me anyhow) clearly show that I'm in neutral and the car dies out. Let alone the ECM has no clue if you're in gear or not! I'm glad if somehow this works for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.