Question on ATS Brake Lamp Lighting
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Question on ATS Brake Lamp Lighting in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi, I haven't spent much time around an ATS at night and I am curious about the way the brake ...
    off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Question on ATS Brake Lamp Lighting

Hi,

I haven't spent much time around an ATS at night and I am curious about the way the brake light functions. On my CTS, you have the light pipe as the night light, while braking, and turn signal functions are from 2 LED strips to the outside of the light pipe. I noticed on the ATS in one video that the light pipe acts as both the night light as well as brake lamp. When do the LEDs on the outside of that pipe illuminate on the ATS? Is it strictly only for turn signals and hazard lights? If so, during the day, having a turn signal on would flash the outside LEDs while the pipe stays illuminated for your brake lamp?

I feel for all the people out there with ATS issues. I wouldn't be able to stand it if it was me, so please excuse this trivial comment. Its pretty annoying to me, personally, having that light pipe be the brake lamp as well. I definitely like the look of the way the CTS does it way better than the ATS. I wish, it would have been an easy thing to do (assuming no laws are broken, and no other issues exist) to swap/cross the connections so the brake lamps are the outside LEDs and the pipe is solely a night light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Re: Question on ATS Brake Lamp Lighting

its the same tube acting as the regular tail light and the break light. the same LEDs actually. the vibrate at a lower frequency when they are in "regular night driving" mode, and vibrate at a higher frequency when u pres the breaks, causing it to look brighter. as far as i know anyway. somebody correct me if im wrong.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

I believe the outer LEDs only go on to fill in the parking lights. The light pipes alone serve as the brake lights and turn signals. (It's a different look than the 2nd generation CTS...can't decide if I like it better or not. It probably makes more sense on a smaller car to use just the light pipe.)

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    its the same tube acting as the regular tail light and the break light. the same LEDs actually. the vibrate at a lower frequency when they are in "regular night driving" mode, and vibrate at a higher frequency when u pres the breaks, causing it to look brighter. as far as i know anyway. somebody correct me if im wrong.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I believe the outer LEDs only go on to fill in the parking lights. The light pipes alone serve as the brake lights and turn signals. (It's a different look than the 2nd generation CTS...can't decide if I like it better or not. It probably makes more sense on a smaller car to use just the light pipe.)
    Ugh it does both?? I definitely do not like that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.