Traction Control Randomly Coming on?(T/C and stabilitrak off + sport mode)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Traction Control Randomly Coming on?(T/C and stabilitrak off + sport mode) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; For those that enjoy spirited driving with having T/C and stabilitrak off in sport mode, do you ever have the ...
    netring is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Traction Control Randomly Coming on?(T/C and stabilitrak off + sport mode)

For those that enjoy spirited driving with having T/C and stabilitrak off in sport mode, do you ever have the traction control randomly come on while accelerating?
    It just flashes "Traction control on" for a second, and then "Traction control off".

This is a on a 3.6 Luxury AWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Re: Traction Control Randomly Coming on?(T/C and stabilitrak off + sport mode)

On my test drive of a 3.6 AWD it did the same behavior, turning back on for small intervals during spirited driving/wheel slip.
    I have not noticed this same behavior (thankfully) on my 2.0T RWD Manual.

Gotcha, so its most likely simply the AWD system changing the power distribution between the wheels, which is hooked up to the traction control system. Thanks!

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I've seen that as well, but I'm pretty sure I've only seen it when the ground has been wet. I once thought maybe if your wipers are on and TC is off, if the conditions are not right, it will override. It doesn't happen enough for me to get bothered about it. I do think I've ever seen it in the dry.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by netring View Post
    For those that enjoy spirited driving with having T/C and stabilitrak off in sport mode, do you ever have the traction control randomly come on while accelerating?
    It just flashes "Traction control on" for a second, and then "Traction control off".

This is a on a 3.6 Luxury AWD
    Hello netring,

I see that you are concerned with the traction control randomly coming on in your ATS. I do see that you have gotten some great advice from bungee91, but if you are still concerned about this and are thinking about taking your vehicle into the dealership so they can look into this issue, I would be more than happy to assist. Please feel free to reach out to me via private message if you would like my assistance. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

bluztoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 AST, 2.0T, Prem. AT, RWD

Have only had the TC come on during rain (twice) and it stayed on until I was out of the storm.

bbrown450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS-Performance
    The traction control light coming on should parallel any of your 4 wheels losing control unless you hold the button down for at least 5 seconds (that disables it)

----------

sorry hit send too soon. The light going on is the cars way of telling you that it is engaging as sometimes it is so subtle you cannot feel it happening. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
    The traction control light coming on should parallel any of your 4 wheels losing control unless you hold the button down for at least 5 seconds (that disables it)

----------

sorry hit send too soon. The light going on is the cars way of telling you that it is engaging as sometimes it is so subtle you cannot feel it happening. Hope this helps
    bbrown, pressing the button once turns off traction control, holding it for 5 seconds turn off stabilitrak. What im saying is that after i do both of these, i still see it come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    I've seen that as well, but I'm pretty sure I've only seen it when the ground has been wet. I once thought maybe if your wipers are on and TC is off, if the conditions are not right, it will override. It doesn't happen enough for me to get bothered about it. I do think I've ever seen it in the dry.
    An update for me. The message "Traction Control On" and "Traction Control Off" continued to (seemingly randomly) flash on my DIC. It was always such a rare event that I didn't bother to pursue it. Well two weeks ago my check engine light came on (steady) and the engine just seemed to be low on power. The dealer scheduled a service for today (two into the future), and they said if the engine light wasn't flashing, it would be ok to drive for another two weeks. Well, the light went off, power came back, light went back on, power went away, etc for about 3 or 4 cycles in two weeks. Towards the end, I just for some reason decided to turn TC off and pretty much the power came right back, even with the light on. Well, dealer just called. I have a faulty cam shaft actuator. I don't know if this is linked to the TC messages yet, but it seems like it. I assume the timing is altered during mild TC events, and if this thing isn't working, I assume that messes with TC and engine power. Would kind of go with my original idea that in rain, very mild TC events would trigger timing changes instead of spark arrest and with the cam actuator hanging on by a thread, maybe it was causing the messages.

Well, I got the car back. Feels much much faster after the fix. Still see the traction on/traction off flash once in a while. Other than that seems perfectly fine. No idea what it could be...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    Well, I got the car back. Feels much much faster after the fix. Still see the traction on/traction off flash once in a while. Other than that seems perfectly fine. No idea what it could be...
    Yplus,

Thanks for your update. Glad to hear that the vehicle appears to be operating much better. All the best moving forward and please don't hesitate to contact us if you experience any further concerns.

Sincerely,

William R. (assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.