Confused: HID and LEDs installs
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Confused: HID and LEDs installs in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; EDIT: Got the answers and would like you to respond to my last post...Post #3-Worth the Money? Well, as I'll ...
  1. #1
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713

    Confused: HID and LEDs installs/Worth the money?

    EDIT: Got the answers and would like you to respond to my last post...Post #3-Worth the Money?


    Well, as I'll be into my ATS for several years, why wait to install HIDs and LEDs into my '13 Lux? I probably could do them myself, but most likely will have some mechanic do it, but I need some help before I start the project.

    Although there is an excellent DIY and a lot of comment on these installs, I'm still somewhat confused about several issues.

    1. I'd like to have DRL, but do they work with the HIDs or with the LEDs installed in the brake duct?

    2. I've seen where some have flickering DRL. Of course I don't want that and which parts should I get to make sure that this won't happen?

    3. I don't mind spending a little extra, so regardless of cost, which brands HIDs and LEDs would be the most reliable and longest lasting?

    4. As I would like to have "daylight" brightness, am I right in assuming that the bulbs for the HID ad LED both should be at 6000K?

    5. Assuming that an indy mechanic will do both installs, what would be a fair price...figuring it would take around 2 hours?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ancient Mariner's Avatar
    Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    346

    Re: Confused: HID and LEDs installs

    Re question 1, my DRL's work with the LED's (Canadian model if that makes a difference). Sorry can't help with the rest.

  4. #3
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713
    Thread Starter

    Worth the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
    Re question 1, my DRL's work with the LED's (Canadian model if that makes a difference). Sorry can't help with the rest.
    Thanks, AM. Been checking around some more and now see that the DRLs work through the LEDs in brake duct, and that the HID are for high/low beam. Now to get some good product recommendations. Want this stuff to last as I'm into the car for 7 years, which I don't really mind as I had my '02 325i (with sport package) for 11 years. When I like a car, I love it...

    I've contacted a custom shop to do the work. They say it will take 2 hours labor for the install of the DRL LEDs and HIDs. The HIDs they use are the HID 9012 6K Bixenons from Race Sport (http://racesportinc.com/main/page_pr...sion_kits.html). Anyone hear of them?

    As for the LEDs, they use Eurolite TF-1060 (clear lens)/TF-1065 (smoke lens)... (http://www.sherco-auto.com/eurolite.html...which would be better, clear lens or smoke lens?

    In costing the job out, it seems pretty fair: HID kit @$200, labor @ $50, LEDs @$88, labor at $112 , for a total of $450. The shop has been around for 20 years and was recommended by a very trusted bodyshop guy. They will have the LEDs looking flush and all labor and parts is guaranteed by them. I know if I wasn't so old and lazy I could shop around and probably find a better price on the HIDs and LEDs and do the job myself. But I figure that for a few extra bucks I won't have to sweat it...

  5. #4
    Kalibr's Avatar
    Kalibr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    58

    Re: Worth the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    The shop has been around for 20 years and was recommended by a very trusted bodyshop guy.
    Hey flycaster, I see you're in Boynton - I'm in Lake Worth. Would you mind sharing the shop you were recommended?

  6. #5
    Renovatis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    27
    Posts
    25

    Re: Worth the money?

    I think that is a very reasonable price for labor. It sounds like the shop knows that they are doing. If they are supplying and installing everything, they should stand behind the products and their work should anything go wrong. Most problems people run into with HID/LED's are caused by the install. As long as all the connections are solid, equipment secured and tucked away from the elements, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Should any problems occur, always start with a power/volt probe. I found that some of the connectors in these kits aren't always the most secure.

    If you like the look and functionality of them, I would say it's definitely worth it.

  7. #6
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713
    Thread Starter

    Re: Worth the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalibr View Post
    Hey flycaster, I see you're in Boynton - I'm in Lake Worth. Would you mind sharing the shop you were recommended?
    No problem:
    Custom Car Works
    321 N.Congress, Delray
    279-0045

    BTW, I may hold off on the HIDs, but go with the LEDs first. Only questionon the LED DRLs is how they handle the switch from my present headlight DRL to the LED DRL. My SA said he really didn't know how that would be handled, but did caution that the different voltage required by the LED may screw things up a bit??? Will have to check more carefully about this aspect. Although, it is my naive assumption that all one had to do was unprogram the present headlight DRL.

  8. #7
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Worth the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    No problem:
    Custom Car Works
    321 N.Congress, Delray
    279-0045

    BTW, I may hold off on the HIDs, but go with the LEDs first. Only questionon the LED DRLs is how they handle the switch from my present headlight DRL to the LED DRL. My SA said he really didn't know how that would be handled, but did caution that the different voltage required by the LED may screw things up a bit??? Will have to check more carefully about this aspect. Although, it is my naive assumption that all one had to do was unprogram the present headlight DRL.
    there is no switch or transition, the DRL in cars without the advanced headlight cluster is the same as the hi/low beam, and a light intensity lower than the low beam for DRL use is achieved by the BCM sending a modulated pulsed power to the low beam, this is why some hid systems have problems. in the past the DRL was handled by a set of fuses and relays in GM cars and you could disable by just pulling a fuse, in our cars this is handled by the BCM, and would require reprogramming to disable.

    My BCM was reprogrammed, in order to add remote start, and the process for reprogramming went as follows:

    -remote start kit includes authorization code
    -tech calls gm and gives auth code and my VIN
    -gm creates new custom program and saves on file
    -tech inputs my vin in scan tool and updates it from gm
    -scan tool downloads my program
    -scan tool plugged into car and car updated
    -voila!!!! i have remote start

    gm does it this way in case for some unforeseen reason my bcm dies a replacement is installed and reprogrammed with what gm has on file exactly as it should be remote start and all.

    so to disable your DRL you would need a willing dealer,and a willing GM, and its doubtful either would be willing to kill a safety feature on request.

    so after your custom shop is done you will have 2 drls operating, if you decide you want the original one off just twist the left stalk to turn off automatic headlights, but you will have to do this at every vehicle start.

  9. #8
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713
    Thread Starter

    Re: Worth the money?

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    there is no switch or transition, the DRL in cars without the advanced headlight cluster is the same as the hi/low beam, and a light intensity lower than the low beam for DRL use is achieved by the BCM sending a modulated pulsed power to the low beam, this is why some hid systems have problems. in the past the DRL was handled by a set of fuses and relays in GM cars and you could disable by just pulling a fuse, in our cars this is handled by the BCM, and would require reprogramming to disable.

    My BCM was reprogrammed, in order to add remote start, and the process for reprogramming went as follows:

    -remote start kit includes authorization code
    -tech calls gm and gives auth code and my VIN
    -gm creates new custom program and saves on file
    -tech inputs my vin in scan tool and updates it from gm
    -scan tool downloads my program
    -scan tool plugged into car and car updated
    -voila!!!! i have remote start

    gm does it this way in case for some unforeseen reason my bcm dies a replacement is installed and reprogrammed with what gm has on file exactly as it should be remote start and all.

    so to disable your DRL you would need a willing dealer,and a willing GM, and its doubtful either would be willing to kill a safety feature on request.

    so after your custom shop is done you will have 2 drls operating, if you decide you want the original one off just twist the left stalk to turn off automatic headlights, but you will have to do this at every vehicle start.
    Ugh! Thanks, POW, for the detailed explanation. Interestingly, when I got the car, I think-but not 100% sure, that I requested that the DRL function be turned on. But, I guess I should check whether or not the ATS Luxury was factory programmed for DRL??? And if it wasn't, then I can make the case to have the DRL deprogrammed. In other words, if DRL are not factory programmed, then it isn't a safety issue.

    The reason that I'd like to have the headlight DRLs off is that as my headlights are stock and not xenon, I don't think it would look nice with LED DRL and halogen DRL on at the same time. But, then again, at night I would have the two non-complimentary lights on... Of course, I could easily solve this and have xenon HIDs installed with the LED DRL???

  10. #9
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Confused: HID and LEDs installs

    If that dealer told you they turned on the DRL they lied to you because we all have DRL in some form (led or halogen) and they are automatically on at every start

  11. #10
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713
    Thread Starter

    Re: Confused: HID and LEDs installs

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    If that dealer told you they turned on the DRL they lied to you because we all have DRL in some form (led or halogen) and they are automatically on at every start
    I stand corrected as I probably misunderstood the dealer and also I had a BMW mindset: I know that when I got these cars, I had the dealer program DRLs into the car. So, I naturally thought that the same thing was happening with the ATS.

  12. #11
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Confused: HID and LEDs installs

    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    I stand corrected as I probably misunderstood the dealer and also I had a BMW mindset: I know that when I got these cars, I had the dealer program DRLs into the car. So, I naturally thought that the same thing was happening with the ATS.
    no worries, just trying to look out for a fellow ATS owner, i'm still surprised when you said that to them they let you still believe they did something for you that didn't need doing.

  13. #12
    flycaster's Avatar
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Age
    75
    Posts
    713
    Thread Starter

    Re: Confused: HID and LEDs installs

    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    no worries, just trying to look out for a fellow ATS owner, i'm still surprised when you said that to them they let you still believe they did something for you that didn't need doing.
    This all could have been fabrication on my part. I'm not really sure that they had actually said that they would program the DRLs...once again, it could have been my assumption colored by my previous BMW experience. I've got a good SA and I don't want to place a negative comment when it isn't deserved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting