Wheel lock nuts
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Wheel lock nuts in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Just got a 2013 ATS, turbo, AWD. No wheel lock nuts. What recommendations are there for purchasing good wheel lock ...
    draganm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ats, 2013, turbo

Wheel lock nuts

Just got a 2013 ATS, turbo, AWD. No wheel lock nuts. What recommendations are there for purchasing good wheel lock nuts. I'm doing some research on the topic. What works? Thanks much, DM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Wheel lock nuts

Just hit up the dealer, easiest way really..

draganm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ats, 2013, turbo

I did some more research on the wheel lock nuts. The dealer wants $123. Should have been included in the first place! McGard, online, a reputable place, wants $48.83. Amazon.com, same thing, wants $33.12. It's part #25257. (They also have another model, #24137, $19.95, for different size lug wrench) If you want to see the video from McGard for installing it, see:
    http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/comp...f4locksand1key
    Also, for 6.73, would be worth it to get the storage pouch. You can also order an extra key.
    Why should you get it? Apart from the obvious - minimizes finding your car up on crates w/no tires and rims -, remember, each tire and wheel is running you over 400, another consideration is even more mundane. Consider a regular thief who wants to jack your car up and get the rims and tires. He sees no wheel lock nut system, easy mark he says. Then he tries to jack up your car, and from what you have read on other threads in the forum, finding the exact jacking up point without bending up your underside is a task. So, he not only has the go ahead if you don't have the very clear lock nuts for each tire, and he will get your tires and rims, but also will cause big damage to the body of your car. It might only take 20-30 minutes for a guy who knows what he is doing. You just stop to do some quick shopping, and presto, you come out and your tires and rims are gone - car up on crates. So, highly recommend getting the wheel lock nuts. Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves in seeing this is an "option" for the car. Hope this helps, Dragan

FDNY-L107 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Auto RWD

I'll give my set for free - it is a GM set.....worthless IMO. They will steal the car before the wheels.

RussoSerb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Dragan, you have some good points. Wheel locks are a must and like you said, that if no locks then the thief will jackup the car (thereby causing lots of damage to the frame etc). You also need to get (my paranoi here) 16 more regular lugs nuts!
    Here is some additional information based upon what has happened to me about 20 years ago.
    I had Mcguard locks on one of my hot rods and for some reason lost the Mcguard key. I needed to get the Mcguard lock off. I, along with a friend, first tried a chisel-no worky. Next we had to used a grinder to try to get some square sides onto the lock. In the process we ruined the wheel which was not a problem as I was replacing the wheels at that time. It tooks us a couple of hours per wheel! But we did get the wheels off (all four of them but they were ruined!. And of course we made lots of noise in the while doing so (would attract others)
    So the next theoretical scenario: Pretend I am the thief: "Hmm, I can't get these locks off so I am angry. So, in retaliation, I will REMOVE ALL THE OTHER REGULAR WHEEL LUG NUTS!" Now you only have one nut per wheel! I am gonna get to EBay or other to get 16 lug nuts just in case ! I will hide them along with a lug wrench somewhere in the Caddy.
    Also check your lug nuts after parking in a questionable area. About 25 years ago I had a job which was to transport via a van, clients to workshops and the rule was always to check the wheel lug before going anywhere. Well, one day I did not. There were 5 of us in the van. Someone had loosened all the lug nuts on one wheel. Doing about 55 mph on the hiway and the left rear wheel decided to leave, jump across the hiway and land in the center strip and thankfully no one was injured with either the tire or the bumpy ride I had slowing the vehicle down to a stop. So again, do a quick check of loose or missing lug nuts when parked in a questionable area.
    Tis better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.