no radio volume at startup - base, non-CUE system
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, no radio volume at startup - base, non-CUE system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have a 2013 ATS Standard 2.0T with the base, non-CUE infotainment system. Similar to another problem that I just ...
    barlowc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD 6AT

no radio volume at startup - base, non-CUE system

I have a 2013 ATS Standard 2.0T with the base, non-CUE infotainment system. Similar to another problem that I just posted, intermittently, when I start the vehicle, I don't have any radio volume. I can turn the volume up, down, and mute it, but nothing happens. When I toggle through AM, FM, and XM inputs, radio volume is restored. Is this happening to anyone else, and if so, have you gotten it resolved?

I know AmerLux had this problem, as posted in http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...installed.html. Despite having taken his vehicle in many, many, many times it was never resolved.

I took my vehicle to the dealer when the problem was occurring. They couldn't/wouldn't look at it at the time, but scheduled me for a service appointment. While they kept my vehicle for 15 days, in the end they said they couldn't reproduce the problem and suggested that I bring it in when the problem is occurring, which is what I'd done in the first place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: no radio volume at startup - base, non-CUE system

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Since making the post, I went a couple of weeks without the problem occurring once. I've kept a log and I went 38 consecutive starts without it happening. Then, over the past 4 days, it's happened once per day which equates to 4 of 13 starts.

My dealer had told me that system updates are automatically sent to the vehicle via OnStar. Is there any truth to that? Frankly, I don't think the dealer knows what they're talking about.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

That is news to me and the first time I've heard that On Star is used for CUE updates, although I'm sure it's possible. I had one service tech tell me HD radio was satellite and it is not (which is what someone told him).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by barlowc View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Since making the post, I went a couple of weeks without the problem occurring once. I've kept a log and I went 38 consecutive starts without it happening. Then, over the past 4 days, it's happened once per day which equates to 4 of 13 starts.

My dealer had told me that system updates are automatically sent to the vehicle via OnStar. Is there any truth to that? Frankly, I don't think the dealer knows what they're talking about.
    Hello Chris,

I was able to search through our system and see your open case with our customer action team. I see there was an initial phone call to you on 09/10/13 followed by another phone call in which a message was left on 09/11/13 and now there is a scheduled follow-up call for 09/14/13. I see your acting agent left a voicemail with their phone number and your case file number. If you would like to further discuss this with me via private message and ensure your phone number is the correct one to best reach you by I am more than happy to do that. I will leave a notify for your acting agent of our interaction and anything else you would like me to inform them.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hi Laura. I did receive a voice mail on 09/11 around 11:30 AM from someone at the "GM Customer Action Team". They said they were calling in regards to "the e-mail that I had sent", but I wasn't sure what e-mail they were talking about. Anyway, I am planning to call them back this afternoon.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by barlowc View Post
    Hi Laura. I did receive a voice mail on 09/11 around 11:30 AM from someone at the "GM Customer Action Team". They said they were calling in regards to "the e-mail that I had sent", but I wasn't sure what e-mail they were talking about. Anyway, I am planning to call them back this afternoon.
    Hi Chris,

In your case file that was created in regards to them, there was an email that was sent from you to Cadillac in which their team got a hold of. I see you are going to call your acting agent back. If you would like my assistance with anything, please let me know and reach out to me via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Good luck getting this fixed. Mine does it like every month. No volume on start up. Have to switch sources on the radio then switch back. Its annoying but there just isn't a fix from Cadillac....

jessehell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): TRS FAB powered 6MT

Mine does this as well

Bryce2.0T and jessehell... when you turn your vehicles off, what radio mode do you typically leave it in? XM, AM, FM? I'm exclusively an XM listener, so when I turn my ATS off, it's on an XM channel. I'm starting to experiment with leaving it on FM when I turn the vehicle off just to see if the XM module is a factor.

Mostly XM. I have had it happen in aux too though at start up. My first radio did have the no volume issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jessehell View Post
    Mostly XM. I have had it happen in aux too though at start up. My first radio did have the no volume issue.
    So you've had your radio replaced? Did that fix the problem, or have you experienced the problem with both the first one and the replacement?

First one would have the display freeze on the wrong channel. It never had the volume issue. The replacement still freezes and now has the volume issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jessehell View Post
    First one would have the display freeze on the wrong channel. It never had the volume issue. The replacement still freezes and now has the volume issue as well.
    That sucks. Can you describe the display freezing on the wrong channel? I have a similar issue where sometime, when I change the channel, the sound will change accordingly and the display below the speedometer will reflect the new channel, but the display in the center stack will display the old channel for 15 - 30 seconds before it changes. Is your issue similar to that in any way?

Straight off the lot and home from the dealer, I had a problem where intermittently upon startup, the radio would start on the default/lowest FM channel instead of where I left it. There was an internal bulletin of sorts for that issue which was supposed to be resolved by reprogramming the radio module, but in my case reprogramming the radio module caused other things to stop working and they ended up also reprogramming the BCM, replacing the radio module, and replacing the center stack. I haven't seen the issue since, but now have the intermittent no radio volume at startup issue.

What's frustrating is that I'm now on the hook to tell the dealer exactly how to reproduce the problem before they can/will do anything about it. GM Customer Service is working with me and has suggested that I try a different dealer who they'll work on the issue with. But I guess I don't have much confidence that it'll get resolved if someone doesn't already know about the issue and how to fix it. Playing the "component replacement game" probably isn't going to do it.

I had the same happen as you in paragraph 2. My freezing is exactly as you describe in paragraph 1. I now have the same thoughts about bringing the car to the dealer as you, except my dealer curbed my wheel and ruined my tire at the same time.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Mine would freeze on XM. My subscription expired and it recently froze on regular FM radio too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.