2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have a 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD manual that has about 7000 miles on it. It is a great car ...
    Tallis77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L RWD Manual

2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable?

I have a 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD manual that has about 7000 miles on it. It is a great car so far and I like it a lot. My only complaint to date is an intermittent buzz that has developed in the dash. The buzz happens when I drive on rougher than normal pavement at freeway speeds. It seems to come from way up front near the windshield. My car is the premium edition so it has the HUD up there as well.

I have poked and prodded when I hear the buzz and I can't feel anything. Everything seems solid but it sounds like something is loose. I have looked around for any loose screws or fasteners in the engine bay near the windshield and I haven't found anything.

Before I take this up with the dealer, I was wondering whether anyone else has had this problem and found a solution (either DIY or from the dealer). I am a little wary of taking it to the dealer and they decide to do something dramatic with the dash and I trade one problem for another. The noise is annoying to me but it isn't a disaster. Alos, because it is intermittent, it could be tricky to demonstrate for the service staff. Nonetheless, it would make me very happy if it could be found and fixed. Any ideas on what it might be and whether there is a simple fix for something like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven
    Ugh I feel like we are having the exact same problem! Is it a deeper sounding rattle? Sort of sounds like hard rubber bouncing off of something. And I as well do not want to take it in just yet unless all else fails and we cannot find a fix. Please if anyone has any possible solutions help us out! Thanks so much

Mike

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Re: 2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable?

Here is a video of my dash rattle/creak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klq7T_f6sq0

Does your rattle sound like mine does? If it does, take it to the dealer and bring it up. My ATS is currently with GM engineers from Lansing who came to look at the car and find a solution to the rattle. From what I've been told, my car is going to have be taken to Lansing to be taken apart in September to find the root cause of the rattle.

I'll update you tomorrow on what's going to happen. Oy.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis77 View Post
    I have a 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD manual that has about 7000 miles on it. It is a great car so far and I like it a lot. My only complaint to date is an intermittent buzz that has developed in the dash. The buzz happens when I drive on rougher than normal pavement at freeway speeds. It seems to come from way up front near the windshield. My car is the premium edition so it has the HUD up there as well.

I have poked and prodded when I hear the buzz and I can't feel anything. Everything seems solid but it sounds like something is loose. I have looked around for any loose screws or fasteners in the engine bay near the windshield and I haven't found anything.

Before I take this up with the dealer, I was wondering whether anyone else has had this problem and found a solution (either DIY or from the dealer). I am a little wary of taking it to the dealer and they decide to do something dramatic with the dash and I trade one problem for another. The noise is annoying to me but it isn't a disaster. Alos, because it is intermittent, it could be tricky to demonstrate for the service staff. Nonetheless, it would make me very happy if it could be found and fixed. Any ideas on what it might be and whether there is a simple fix for something like this?
    Hello Tallis77,

I apologize you are experiencing an intermittent buzz in the dash on your ATS. I understand how an issue like this can be frustrating to deal with. I see you and others are wanting advice from forum members to see if they have experienced this issue and been able to resolve this concern. I recommend taking a video if it is safe next time this issue arises, therefore you will be able to show the technician at the dealership what you are experiencing during your drive. If you would like the dealership to diagnose this issue and want my assistance throughout the process, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

The buzz in my car is perhaps a bit closer to what Mike describes than the creaking that Envoy's video shows. The buzz is very intermittent. At low speeds, I generally hear nothing. Only over rough pavement at high speeds do I hear the buzz. Even at higher speeds, if the pavement is smooth, there is no buzz. It seems to me to be related to the vibration induced by the suspension over the rough pavement. I see a wire that passes near the left side suspension housing and for a while, I thought that wire might be the culprit. But it seems unlikely (although the wire isn't really secured to anything). Any other guesses?

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

I notice a buzz too but think I have figured out where mine is coming from. I notice it driving to work when the car is cold/cool, but on the drive home with the car interior hot, don't notice it. I think it is my Homelink buttons in the overhead console. Try putting your hand up there next time you drive over rough roads and see if it does not stop. If I put my hand over the Homelink button and generally add a little pressure to the whole overhead console, I hear nothing. I'm going to see if the dealer can pry the overhead console down and look behind it to see if they can add foam or tape or somethink behind there to stop the buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    I notice a buzz too but think I have figured out where mine is coming from. I notice it driving to work when the car is cold/cool, but on the drive home with the car interior hot, don't notice it. I think it is my Homelink buttons in the overhead console. Try putting your hand up there next time you drive over rough roads and see if it does not stop. If I put my hand over the Homelink button and generally add a little pressure to the whole overhead console, I hear nothing. I'm going to see if the dealer can pry the overhead console down and look behind it to see if they can add foam or tape or somethink behind there to stop the buzz.
    Hello Maxplot,

Thank you for providing your input as to what you think the buzzing is in your vehicle. I am glad that you seem to have been able to find the source of the issue. Please keep us updated when you take your vehicle to the dealership in regards to the outcome of the visit. If you would like any assistance in working with the dealership, feel free to private message Laura or myself as well. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I like the suggestion that it might be the overhead console. I tried it on my commute today but I don't think that is my issue. The buzz can still be heard while holding the overhead console and my buzz still seems to come from the front of the dash (not overhead). Any other suggestions come to mind?

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven
    Mine is most noticable when I am going over a quick bump in the road or the concrete slab roads that's where it gets to be the worst and more annoying thing I've ever heard. Every crease where the slabs meet it makes that noise which while I am driving seems to be almost constant. Quite dissapointed that this has happened so soon after purchasing my ats. Only had it for about 2 weeks. My steering clicks when I turn, this dash rattle, random creaks in the rear.. It doesn't seem to end to be honest. Oh and my seat moves and makes a weird noise when I sit on it as well. Ugh so frustrating I wish I could take it all back to be honest and go with a different vehicle.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Ah, welcome to the club, ATS Mike.

At least your car wasn't DAMAGED BY GM ENGINEERS AND THE DEALER...

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine sounds like helicpoter rotors in the distance at 30-35 mph. Once I heard it at 50mph too but only briefly. Bert.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

mine does the same thing i took it to the dealer we tested another car and it does the same they are saying its the converter

Quote Originally Posted by ATS Mike View Post
    Mine is most noticable when I am going over a quick bump in the road or the concrete slab roads that's where it gets to be the worst and more annoying thing I've ever heard. Every crease where the slabs meet it makes that noise which while I am driving seems to be almost constant. Quite dissapointed that this has happened so soon after purchasing my ats. Only had it for about 2 weeks. My steering clicks when I turn, this dash rattle, random creaks in the rear.. It doesn't seem to end to be honest. Oh and my seat moves and makes a weird noise when I sit on it as well. Ugh so frustrating I wish I could take it all back to be honest and go with a different vehicle.
    Hello ATS Mike,

I understand how this is frustrating to deal with so soon after purchase. I am sorry you are experiencing all these vehicle issues. Please reach out to me so we can further discuss these concerns. I can be contacted via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer in the message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    mine does the same thing i took it to the dealer we tested another car and it does the same they are saying its the converter
    Hi romanats,

I am sorry you are also experiencing an intermittent buzz in your vehicles dash. I see you have worked with the dealership on this issue and they stated it is the converter. Is the dealer going to perform a vehicle repair for you? If you would like our assistance throughout this process, please reach out via private message! We can discuss any concerns or questions you may have also.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ATS Mike View Post
    Although I thankfully have none of those issues, I have heard of others who have had most of them. I know that some people with dealers who are both competent and helpful have been able to get the moving seat and clicking steering wheel fixed. Search this forum and Youtube to find descriptions of the fixes, and then go to your dealer with all the background information they will need to fix yours, too. If the dealer is too proud to take your input about what the problem is, or acts like nothing is wrong, find a new dealer, and also post your experiences in every social media forum you can to inform the public about your negative experiences with the dealer. Likewise, if they help you out, post that as well so others in your area will know where to go for good customer service. Good luck.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.