2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by JavaGirl I know that some people with dealers who are both competent and helpful have been able ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2013 ATS: Intermittent Buzz in the Dash -- is it fixable?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    I know that some people with dealers who are both competent and helpful have been able to get the moving seat and clicking steering wheel fixed. Search this forum and Youtube to find descriptions of the fixes, and then go to your dealer with all the background information they will need to fix yours, too. If the dealer is too proud to take your input about what the problem is, or acts like nothing is wrong, find a new dealer, and also post your experiences in every social media forum you can to inform the public about your negative experiences with the dealer. Likewise, if they help you out, post that as well so others in your area will know where to go for good customer service. Good luck.
    + 1000

The dealers are far more variable and problematic than the cars. I believe the best way to motivate bad ones to improve is just what JavaGirl said. Start with posting in the Dealership Review forum right here. Search for your dealer and add to the existing thread or start a new one. Good reports are as important as bad ones to help balance out flukes and hidden agenda situations.

cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    I notice a buzz too but think I have figured out where mine is coming from. I notice it driving to work when the car is cold/cool, but on the drive home with the car interior hot, don't notice it. I think it is my Homelink buttons in the overhead console. Try putting your hand up there next time you drive over rough roads and see if it does not stop. If I put my hand over the Homelink button and generally add a little pressure to the whole overhead console, I hear nothing. I'm going to see if the dealer can pry the overhead console down and look behind it to see if they can add foam or tape or somethink behind there to stop the buzz.
    This is where my 'buzzing' comes from... I have pried it down and added about a pound worth of dynamat, dynaliner and felt tape... This has helped, but it is still there... Will be taking down again this weekend to try to focus the attack a little more towards the rear of the console near the home link...

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by cullama213 View Post
    This is where my 'buzzing' comes from... I have pried it down and added about a pound worth of dynamat, dynaliner and felt tape... This has helped, but it is still there... Will be taking down again this weekend to try to focus the attack a little more towards the rear of the console near the home link...
    When I first skimmed your post, I thought you had written, "I have pried it down and added about a pound worth of dynamite..." I said to myself, "Well, that should do it."

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven

I am hesitant to take it into the dealer about my dash rattle because I do not want them to tear my whole dash apart and then start to have another problem along with the one I currently have. My seat needs to be fixed because I feel that it making my driving experience awkward and hesitant and may be a safety hazard. ( May or may not be ). The other few rattles that I have in the rear seat area of my car I am going to try and correct myself by buying some very thin foam tape and put it between the areas that I will discover when I get someone else to drive my car and I can sit in the back. I cannot believe that this vehicle has the rattles that it does. It is a brand new model for god sakes and you would assume that it might be important to the consumer that the interior is comparable to its German rivals. My Mother has an Audi S4 and sure enough no creaks what so ever and most definitely no rattles, "tight as a bank vault" which some people may say. Sure the ATS competes with the A4 and 3 series etc in drive ability but they still need to work on interior refinement in my personal opinion. BLAH.

blue_eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 90.5 Allante, 02 Deville, 13 ATS 2.0t

My dash buzz began after the first service at 7500 miles. I only hear it at highway speeds in combination with certain road surfaces. My initial feeling is that the tire rotation has something to do with it. I am waiting for a part to come in at the dealer to correct a squeak in the drivers door panel. Also one of the CUE software upgrades has removed my phone contact list and recent call list from the display. My Droid does still connect, just no lists on the display. When I take it back in, I want them to do a road force balance to see if the tires are stimulating the rattle. Until then the radio shall remain on to hide the annoying sound!

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by cullama213

How did you pry down the overhead console? Does it just have clips? My buzzing is the Homelink buttons. Try putting foam behind them. If that does not work then the Homelink unit will have to be replaced I would imagine.

cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    How did you pry down the overhead console? Does it just have clips? My buzzing is the Homelink buttons. Try putting foam behind them. If that does not work then the Homelink unit will have to be replaced I would imagine.
    I have panel removing tools... You just slide it under the edge and pry down...

As for the home link, I have put foam and felt on them... I now believe its the three way toggle for the overhead lights...

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven
    OMG! I found my dash rattle 5 mins ago on my way home. Last stretch of road before home is down a concrete slab road and i started to feel around and sure enough I actually FOUND IT! It is the right side of the plastic piece that blows air on the windshield! When I press down on it the rattle goes away! Anybody who might be able to help me understand how to pilossibly fix that would be a life saver ! I would appreciate it alot. Thank you!

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by cullama213 View Post
    I have panel removing tools... You just slide it under the edge and pry down...

As for the home link, I have put foam and felt on them... I now believe its the three way toggle for the overhead lights...
    I took my ATS in to the dealer this morning to get the Homelink buttons fixed from rattling. They said they are ordering a new overhead console unit. we will see if a new one is rattle free.

Tallis77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L RWD Manual

The buzz in my dash remains elusive. It is very intermittent and unlike others, I haven't been able to push on anything that has an effect on the buzz. Right now, I am waiting a bit to see if it becomes easier to demonstrate before taking it to the dealer. It is not a big deal -- just mildly annoying. The car is otherwise so solid that it sets my expectations pretty high. Nonetheless, I would very much like to find and fix the issue if it is possible to do so.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis77 View Post
    The buzz in my dash remains elusive. It is very intermittent and unlike others, I haven't been able to push on anything that has an effect on the buzz. Right now, I am waiting a bit to see if it becomes easier to demonstrate before taking it to the dealer. It is not a big deal -- just mildly annoying. The car is otherwise so solid that it sets my expectations pretty high. Nonetheless, I would very much like to find and fix the issue if it is possible to do so.
    Hello Tallis77,

I understand you wanting to fix the issue. Intermittent issues can be frustrating to deal with. Other than the buzz in your dash, I am happy the car meets your expectations and you are happy with your choice. Please keep me posted if you do go to the dealer and its outcome. I would like to stay involved throughout the process and assist you. I can be contacted via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I had an interesting experience over the holiday weekend. I was traveling (without the car) and I drove a relative's Infiniti G35 and it has the same kind of buzz up near the windshield as my car. That car has about 25k miles. I wonder whether this is an age related buzz that is happening before it's time (my car has about 7.5k miles). It's strange because my previous car, a 2003 Subaru WRX with 80k miles, never developed a buzz like this.

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

My dash buzz comes from the Cue screen. When I pop it up and leave it there the dash doesn't rattle. Not a terrific long term fix however...

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    My dash buzz comes from the Cue screen. When I pop it up and leave it there the dash doesn't rattle. Not a terrific long term fix however...
    Hello Neuroleptic,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a buzz from your CUE screen. Have you brought up this concern to your dealership as of yet? If you would like any assistance working with them to address this issue please feel free to private message us. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I had to have my car in for service due to a nail in one of my run flat tires While in for service, I asked about the buzz in my dash and they said they would look at it. Unfortunately, they could not immediately pin point the issue. They once again recommended a dedicated appointment to look at the issue. The buzz in my dash has become a bit worse over the last month or two so maybe it is time to get it looked at seriously. The car is otherwise terrific and if this issue could be found and fixed I would be very happy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.