3.6 oil consumption
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 3.6 oil consumption in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; how much oil consumption is normal on the 3.6? i'm still on the factory fill, and at 4400miles i've had ...
    jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

3.6 oil consumption

how much oil consumption is normal on the 3.6?

i'm still on the factory fill, and at 4400miles i've had to top off with one quart already.
    oil life left indicator was at 34%

J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Re: 3.6 oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by jph View Post

i'm still on the factory fill, and at 4400miles i've had to top off with one quart already.

J.

I'm sure by GM standards that is within "Normal Range" but that seems like more than I would expect. I'm about a K behind you so let me check mine and see if it has dropped any.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by jph View Post

J.
    I think they would tell you that's within their "acceptable" range. But I suspect its worse than average based on around thirty new vehicles of mine that never used that much. On a plus note, some times high consumption rates cure themselves as the engine wears in. I would have the oil analyzed when you change it. Its not very expensive and can give clues about causes you might want to know about.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Just checked mine and it's on the full mark 3368 Mi with 51% on the oil life.

I have a GM 5.3 that goes through a qt every 2k and that is considerd normal by GM. But as Daddy said it may clear up after break in. See what happens after your first oil change.

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

thanks for the replies!

i'll get a blackstone kit and hope the dealership is willing to take a little sample for me when i get it changed.

J.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

It's very common for new cars to use oil during the first few thousand miles during break-in. Page 9-16 of the ATS manual states that you should check the oil often as consumption is higher than normal during the first 1,500 miles and add oil as necessary. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I think they would tell you that's within their "acceptable" range. But I suspect its worse than average based on around thirty new vehicles of mine that never used that much. On a plus note, some times high consumption rates cure themselves as the engine wears in. I would have the oil analyzed when you change it. Its not very expensive and can give clues about causes you might want to know about.
    General motors engines tend to use oil, and their acceptable consumption rate can be really high! For example, Northstar engine can use up to 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles, and it is perfectly fine and acceptable! I am not saying that every N* engine consumes this much, some may and will consume less than that. Mine used to consume around one quarter per 1500 miles!

However, not any oil consumption is normal and natural. There might be something wrong with an engine, and that is why it is consuming oil, although the rates are within factory spec.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.