Low Fuel Warning Indicator
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Low Fuel Warning Indicator in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Last week while driving to work, I noticed my fuel level was very low - below 1/8 of a tank. ...
    Kalibr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

Low Fuel Warning Indicator

Last week while driving to work, I noticed my fuel level was very low - below 1/8 of a tank. I was surprised that the low fuel indicator light did not turn on. I switched my display to read the fuel range, which at the time was 47 miles to empty. I knew I could make it to work and so on the way home, I got gas with 29 miles left. At that point, the fuel guage was reading 0 and the lamp never turned on.

Every other car I've owned the low fuel indicator typically signals a warning when the tank reaches a 1/8 of the tank. Does anyone know when the ATS' low fuel lamp turns on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

Re: Low Fuel Warning Indicator

My cobalt turned on at <25 miles left. No clue what the ATS is. I just put gas in it when it gets low lol

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Once it stops reporting miles left and goes to low fuel, but I've never let it get that low. Based on the manual it states refuel as soon as possible and it looks like they mean it.

Fuel System Messages
    FUEL LEVEL LOW
    This message displays when the
    vehicle is low on fuel. Refuel as
    soon as possible

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Once it stops reporting miles left and goes to low fuel, but I've never let it get that low. Based on the manual it states refuel as soon as possible and it looks like they mean it.

Fuel System Messages
    FUEL LEVEL LOW
    This message displays when the
    vehicle is low on fuel. Refuel as
    soon as possible
    this is one thing that i never liked about GM cars the miles to empty just saying low below 40 miles, it seems to me thats when you really need to know, my passat would go all the way down to 0 (i found this out driving across montana looking for a gas station)
    GJB likes this.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

My light went on with the fuel range showing 42 miles. I was pushing the limit to test the light but don't normally let it get that low. I think it may be bad for the fuel pump. Bert
    Kalibr likes this.

cadaddio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven Black ATS 2.0T/ auto

I have checked this on my ATS just so I know how much fuel is left in tank when the fuel light comes on.
    On three occasions when I waited for the light to illuminate to fuel up, it has consistently taken 14.5
    gallons to fill up. Leaving a two gallon reserve(tank capacity is 16.5 gallons). I feel that every fuel module
    in every vehicle reads a little differently,so, I suggest you do a little research on your own car and see
    how much fuel it takes to fill up after the light comes on. It gives me peace of mind knowing I have two
    gallons left in the tank when the light comes on.
    Kalibr likes this.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

Cant stand how this works. At least show me a range once it gets low. Why show me a range when I got plenty of gas, then tell show me no range when its low? And my light doesnt come on until the guage is pretty much on E. Way too late. I will run out of gas in this car at some point.
    Kalibr and GJB like this.

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Never let it get below a quarter tank to save the pump and fight condensation.
    TanMan likes this.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Quote Originally Posted by cadaddio View Post
    I have checked this on my ATS just so I know how much fuel is left in tank when the fuel light comes on.
    On three occasions when I waited for the light to illuminate to fuel up, it has consistently taken 14.5
    gallons to fill up. Leaving a two gallon reserve(tank capacity is 16.5 gallons). I feel that every fuel module
    in every vehicle reads a little differently,so, I suggest you do a little research on your own car and see
    how much fuel it takes to fill up after the light comes on. It gives me peace of mind knowing I have two
    gallons left in the tank when the light comes on.
    Yep this is about right. I let mine go until the light came on (it got really low on the gage). When I filled up it was just a tad over 14.5 I think 14.7.
    Kalibr likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by hood101010 View Post
    Cant stand how this works. At least show me a range once it gets low. Why show me a range when I got plenty of gas, then tell show me no range when its low? And my light doesnt come on until the guage is pretty much on E. Way too late. I will run out of gas in this car at some point.
    There are different ways to look at it. Knowing how many miles are left when you have plenty is exactly what you want on the highway where stations are not every block or two. In the city, the low fuel warning is enough to make sure you can get to a station. Of course drivers don't have to cut it close if they don't want to. I'm not saying you or any driver should like it that way because different people like different things but it works fine for some people, so don't rack your brain wondering what they were thinking.

Kalibr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

So, a few of you have confirmed that the light goes on when the tank has about 2 gallons of fuel left. This means that If I'm getting 23 mpg, the range should read about 46 miles remaining when the light goes on. Since I got down to 29 miles and didn't see the light come on, I'm going to mention to the service adviser at the next maintenance visit.

I think the light coming on with 2 gallons remaining is not enough warning especially if you are on an interstate highway where stations could be few and far between. I'm usually good about filling up before the gauge reads 1/4 tank, but there's always a chance that you're not paying attention and have to rely on a warning light.

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I leave the fuel range monitor on one side of my DIC at all times. It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    There are different ways to look at it. Knowing how many miles are left when you have plenty is exactly what you want on the highway where stations are not every block or two. In the city, the low fuel warning is enough to make sure you can get to a station. Of course drivers don't have to cut it close if they don't want to. I'm not saying you or any driver should like it that way because different people like different things but it works fine for some people, so don't rack your brain wondering what they were thinking.
    Hoosier you are a righteous and honorable poster here and i respect your opinion, however I disagree with you on this. this can be a win-win, if it would run down to 0 it still works as you describe above, yet it becomes a more informative tool.

case in point.....it's pretty well established were averaging 20 or better MPG with the ATS, and it has been established in this thread that we have a 2 gallon reserve, so the instant Low is displayed you know you have approximately 40 miles to empty. but what if you weren't present when the change from distance to the word low occurred, as in your spouse/friend/child had the car the day before, and unknowingly in a rush to daycare/the office/a meeting the next morning you're greeted with "LOW". so how low is low now? do you have 40 miles or 2, can you get gas at the station next to your child's school or do you immediately have to go the wrong direction because that station is closer. true this could be mitigated by keeping a regimen of always filling at the half mark, but life does happen, and presumably this tool was programmed into out cars to be helpfull.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Hoosier you are a righteous and honorable poster here and i respect your opinion, however I disagree with you on this. this can be a win-win, if it would run down to 0 it still works as you describe above, yet it becomes a more informative tool.
    I apologize if I sounded like I think its the best way. I was just trying to speculate on why they might have done it. I would rather have continuous miles to empty AND a warning. But this may be one of those things where the engineers are basing the decisions on insider information such as the miles to empty estimates get less reliable the less gas is left or meaningless (to them) because they know there are x gallons left even when the gauge and miles to empty hit zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I apologize if I sounded like I think its the best way. I was just trying to speculate on why they might have done it. I would rather have continuous miles to empty AND a warning. But this may be one of those things where the engineers are basing the decisions on insider information such as the miles to empty estimates get less reliable the less gas is left or meaningless (to them) because they know there are x gallons left even when the gauge and miles to empty hit zero.
    no apologies needed brother.....funny you should say that...my previous car was a passat that did go to 0...on a road trip to San Diego from Bismarck, ND driving west on the 94 i missed an exit somewhere in Montana, and could not turn around because of the ditch between the lanes on the highway where they plow the snow into and it took me another 45 minutes to reach the next exit, my miles hit 0 about a quarter mile before getting to the gas station, but that guage gave me confidence to press on instead of going dukes of hazzard in a ditch.

we're all buying nicer cars so that they can give us those feelings, and that stick shift B5.5 1.8t Passat GS leather, sunroof, heated seats and mirrors, and monsoon sound system was a very nice car, and 33 highway mpg to boot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.