MY ATS LED Conversion obsession - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, MY ATS LED Conversion obsession in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey Calzone, those DRLs look good. I've got a pair of Phiilps Daylight 8s sitting in my garage for a ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: MY ATS LED Conversion obsession

Hey Calzone, those DRLs look good. I've got a pair of Phiilps Daylight 8s sitting in my garage for a couple of months because I'm fearful that their light will shoot off at an angle even if I were to tape them in. Although they will fit flush, they will still angle out because of the duct's angling out. I'm interested in knowing at what point one doesn't see the lights head on. Yikes, this is difficult to explain! In cars that have factory DRLs, one sees the full brightness of the lights head on, but as you move to the side of the car, that brightness either disappears or is much dimmer. So, if you were stand in front of your car. let's say about 15' away and keeping that distance as you moved around to the side of your car, at about what point would the DRLs no longer be shining directly into your field of vision?

You see, my problem is that my DRLs are configured such that they will be quite bright during the day (400 lumens)-they do dim at night to 100 lumens, and I don't think they will look good if they cover too broad an angle to the side of the car.

matthewmugar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Luxury 2.0 Turbo

Hey Calzone,

is there any bit of over hang? we drilled holes and pushed the bolts through so it does sit flush on the molding...but it sticks out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Hello Matt. I shaved off the through bolt flanges and used 3M double sided tape. I was concerned with the strength at first but to my amazement it holds just as good! I would like to do the HID but Im not sure yet. Glad you like the way it looks!

kustom71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS sedan 2.5 Standard

Calzone
    Where did you get those LED's
    Look really good
    How did you hook them up also if you dont mind

I guess Calzone is out of town or his DRLs point out sideways (more than he'd like them to do), or otherwise he would have answered my question (post 61), eh?

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

if anyone has an extra base model air duct cover, i can model it up in 3d if i have it with me. this will alow me to modify its geometry and design a place to mount an aftermarked LED inside and make it look factory. then print this and put the LED in. i wanna do it with my duct covers but idk how long ill need to keep them off.

I wish someone figured out how to do the top led lights on the headlamp housing.
    Makes the car look so BADASS

calzone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey. Sorry Guys. Thanks for the comments! I got busy with other things for a little. You are right. They do follow to the sides but I did it more for looks than for functionality. I will take a video at some point here so everyone can see what it looks like from all angles. I used a motion sensor as a switch 17.00 from e-bay and I also got the lights from there also. I drilled a hole at the bottom corner of the cover and ran up to the switch and then to the battery junction post. I hid everything under the radiator cover. They do fit flush which I was looking for. Here is the link for the lights. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370741651210...84.m1439.l2649

Thanks for responding
    A motion sensor to turn them on?
    Wont they turn off if your sitting at idle or at a long light or stuck in traffic?
    Just wondering cause i dont mind if they turn off while in my driveway but stuck in traffic turning on and off would look ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    if anyone has an extra base model air duct cover, i can model it up in 3d if i have it with me. this will alow me to modify its geometry and design a place to mount an aftermarked LED inside and make it look factory. then print this and put the LED in. i wanna do it with my duct covers but idk how long ill need to keep them off.
    Hey, Donavo, 3D printing a duct cover can't get any cooler than that. What would be the cost involved?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by calzone View Post
    Hey. Sorry Guys. Thanks for the comments! I got busy with other things for a little. You are right. They do follow to the sides but I did it more for looks than for functionality. I will take a video at some point here so everyone can see what it looks like from all angles. I used a motion sensor as a switch 17.00 from e-bay and I also got the lights from there also. I drilled a hole at the bottom corner of the cover and ran up to the switch and then to the battery junction post. I hid everything under the radiator cover. They do fit flush which I was looking for. Here is the link for the lights. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370741651210...84.m1439.l2649
    Thanks for getting back. Yeah, I think I have a problem in that my DRLs will be both functional and accessory. Its the functional part (400 lumens points out somewhat sideway) that has me worried. I await your pictures.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Hey, Donavo, 3D printing a duct cover can't get any cooler than that. What would be the cost involved?[COLOR="Silver"]
    well....depends how many. if i had to make just one set, HAD the 3d model already made from cadillac perhaps and only needed to modify it to fit LEDs in, it would be free since i would use the printer at work to make a set. but if i had to print many, ppl would notice and i would get a stern finger shake. after that, it just depends how much a large enough 3d printer is, or pay a shop to print them out. after the model is made, you can take it anywhere, print it anywhere. dont need a supplier. just the model is enough.

what would b best is if somewhere in some database, a 3d model exists of the duct cover. probably an STP file. i would need this file to modify it and redesign it. after that, anyone can have it and print it.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by kustom71 View Post
    Thanks for responding
    A motion sensor to turn them on?
    Wont they turn off if your sitting at idle or at a long light or stuck in traffic?
    Just wondering cause i dont mind if they turn off while in my driveway but stuck in traffic turning on and off would look ridiculous
    I installed mine with a motion activated relay and it gave me fits......it turns out we have a really smooth and quiet car with very little vibration....it turns out that part of this is coming from our active variable engine mounts ....stop at a light and the mounts go soft killing body vibration which would make my LEDs turn off I had the relay mounted to the body under the radiator cover ..... I then tried the air box .... fail.....I ended up zip tying the relay to the tube feeding the intake manifold....it was the only thing that vibrated enough to keep the lights on......ultimately I didn't like the vibration relay and if I ever need to do it again I'm going with a voltage sensing relay, these work by sensing use of the car by power draw..... the vibration relay would activate if a big truck drove by my parked car, every door open/close and when the coolant would burp into the reservoir for a few minutes after you turn off the car

calzone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes. A motion sensor. I placed I placed it in a perfect spot next to the radiator. I used velcro strips to attach it to a perfect spot. It does work well and If I'm at a light it will turn off if i don't bump the brakes lightly. I am planning on playing around with its sensitivity on Monday. Ill let you know how I make out.

Cool thanks

I was thinking that its new to me but i barely no its idling so i was wondering where one would mount the relay to.I think i would rather have Them come on when the DRL's are on but then how would they stay on when the headlights go on.
    The voltage sensing sound like it might be the way to go.
    On when car is on, off when car is off

CADILLACATS2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS

I am completely on the fence between oem drls in the lower bumper or aftermarket (and having to make an even bigger project of it due to cutting and fitting)...or wait and see if someone makes the abs plastic duct covers with housing for fog/drl.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.