2014 Changes - ATS - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2014 Changes - ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee Quote from Hoosier daddy in another forum thus i think the 18" machined wheels from the ...
    Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Re: 2014 Changes - ATS

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Quote from Hoosier daddy in another forum

thus i think the 18" machined wheels from the performance is the highest performing from a slightly wider tire 225-40-18 are wider than 225-45-17 vs weight
    Both are "225" mm in section width so the 18 is not wider than the 17 version; the 40 series sidewall is shorter to maintain the same overall diameter. And also wheels/tires must be accelerated in two directions - longitudinally and also rotationally. So even though you could have two wheels - an 18" and 17" that weigh the same, it actually takes more power to accelerate the 18" wheel at the same rate as it's mass is located further from the center of rotation and has a higher moment of inertia. There's a reason even F1 cars still use relatively small wheel diameters.

derek98z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS, 2011 SRX

The 19" GM wheels have been available for a long time. Have them on my car

ATS Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L Black Raven

Know what annoys the heck out of me that they just could not apparently do on the 13's but did on the 14's.. The center display can have your digital speed which is easily double the size of the digital speed being on the side displays if not even bigger. Yes it is just a little thing but man it annoys me that I cannot have that on my 2013. Half the time I cant even see the tiny digital speedometer on the side of the display.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
    Both are "225" mm in section width so the 18 is not wider than the 17 version; the 40 series sidewall is shorter to maintain the same overall diameter. And also wheels/tires must be accelerated in two directions - longitudinally and also rotationally. So even though you could have two wheels - an 18" and 17" that weigh the same, it actually takes more power to accelerate the 18" wheel at the same rate as it's mass is located further from the center of rotation and has a higher moment of inertia. There's a reason even F1 cars still use relatively small wheel diameters.
    actually 225 is not the width of the tread but the measured width of the tire at its widest point of the sidewall, this is independent of the tread and varies from size and manufacturer. next time you find yourself at the dealer for an oil change go over to the ATS' and crouch down and look at the tires you'll notice that the tread width is slightly different and the slope of the sidewall on the 18" is steeper from rim to tread.

and the reason F1 uses small wheels and larger tires is because it is mandated in the formula, you see a couple of years ago Bridgestone decided they no longer wanted to be the supplier of tires and the FIA started accepting bids to be the new supplier, Michelin and Pirelli put their hats in the ring but Michelin added the stipulation that if it became the supplier it wanted to use more advanced and more modern tires more like what they produce for LMP cars, the FIA judged this too much change and awarded the contract to Pirelli. Pirelli in turn has been accused of messing up formula one lately because the FIA gave them the mandate to make weaker more wear prone tires in order to promote more pit stops and add excitement and strategy to the racing, but lately the drivers are complaining that the nature of the racing is spoiled because they can no longer drive flat out but instead have to manage tire wear. the teams are given a limited number of tires each race weekend and you actually see less action on qualifying days in order to save tires for race day, and during the race you'll hear teams giving the drivers orders to slow down to save the tires.

also a visual cue that Michelin was right about these tires is when watching a race you'll notice on slo-mo shots at corners when the cars hit the curbing the tires wobble like water balloons back and forth on the rims

----------

Another point on the ATS tires if the tread width remained constant from the 17 to the 18 you would notice the sidewall slope become shallower due to the sidewall height reduction from 45% of the section width to 40%

ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance

I just happened upon the 2014 ATS specs on the Cadillac website but they only came up when I did a search: http://www.cadillac.com/ats-luxury-s...cs/models.html

Just a small summary of what I notice when you build one:

When you build one, the selection options start different since they make you select the engine first then the trim next instead of a big list of everything. The exterior colors are there plus new paint colors which btw, these colors look more accurate to what they really look like and interior color options have updated image icons and some of the dealer install options appear on the vehicle whereas they did not before like the front license plate cover and rear spoiler. The packages are organized differently, too. The interior has the thicker steering wheel (can't see the frameless rear view mirror in the 360 view) so likely this is the 2014.

another point....you are correct regarding the rotating mass of the larger wheel being harder to accelerate and decelerate. this is overcome by several factors:

1) the 2.0T and 3.6 have enough power to spin either tire at which point acceleration is lost to wheelspin, the tire with the larger contact patch has a harder time spinning the wheel due to increased mechanical grip, this then results in more engine power being transferred to the ground

2) overall performance is not just acceleration and the shorter sidewall has an improved effect on cornering by having less sidewall to flex, and also helps maintain the shape of the contact patch

3) like in example 1 rotational mass makes it harder to decelerate the wheels because more rotating mass is akin to a bigger flywheel, however also as in example 1 the brakes have ample power to skid the tires at will thus making the higher mechanical grip of the increased contact patch more of a factor leading to a shorter braking distance.

Just played with '14 CUE it's very updated, it has handwriting recognition in the NAV app, and SIRI works really well

stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2014 ATS also has more sensitive automatic headlights... much more in line with other brands.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    Just played with '14 CUE it's very updated, it has handwriting recognition in the NAV app, and SIRI works really well
    What?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    What?????????
    in the '14 nav app, go to destination and type the 1st letter or number then a globe appears, touch the globe and a pad appears onscreen trace letters and numbers on this pad with your finger and it will recognize and type them

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Forget the apps....I want the GD intellibeam software update for our 2013's! C'mon Cadillac!
    GJB likes this.

ATSturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

I am a big fan of the new frameless mirror. Did you guys see the pics in the other thread here?

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ATSturbo View Post
    I am a big fan of the new frameless mirror. Did you guys see the pics in the other thread here?
    Yes and people are ordering/buying them. Super easy to install and it is a very clean look that complements the interior nicely.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

According to the configurator, there is no longer a credit for the manual transmission in the 2.0 T. This amounted to a savings of about $1600 on my '13 Premium. I hope this is an error on the site, as there is no price listed for the cold weather package, and then it adds $600 to the total anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.