Turbo being replaced so I have a question
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Turbo being replaced so I have a question in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My turbo is being replaced, so i'm wondering if i should go back to break in rules, until the turbo ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Turbo being replaced so I have a question

My turbo is being replaced, so i'm wondering if i should go back to break in rules, until the turbo is caught up to the engine.

I'm not really worried about it, more a thought that popped into my head, I ask because my turbo was cracked

old
    Attachment 134121

new
    Attachment 134129

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Turbo being replaced so I have a question

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    My turbo is being replaced, so i'm wondering if i should go back to break in rules, until the turbo is caught up to the engine.

I'm not really worried about it, more a thought that popped into my head, I ask because my turbo was cracked

old
    Attachment 134121

new
    Attachment 134129
    No, your engine is broken in. The turbo doesn't require any.

roadpie4u is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Silly question, but how did it get discovered it was cracked down there?

I wonder what sort of failure rates we'll see with the turbo on the LTG. I've heard the turbo on the LNF failed a lot more than GM expected under warranty - how many miles were on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post

I wonder what sort of failure rates we'll see with the turbo on the LTG. I've heard the turbo on the LNF failed a lot more than GM expected under warranty - how many miles were on yours?
    the sound that started it all

kinda funny....so Sunday before last I hear the sound I recorded above while in a drive thru and to determine if the sound is my car or the one behind me, I kill the motor, well it was me so when I restart the car I get a message in the DIC "service power steering ..... drive carefully" and sure enough my power steering failed, I get the steering working by rebooting the car and the next day I bring it in for service where they have a TSB on the steering issue but have no clue on the sound and of course the car is whisper quiet. I take my car back and by Friday morning it's doing it again, i bring it in, they can't figure it out but Cadillac corporate made the call to replace it which happened today. they discovered this when they took it off, along with a loose exhaust which was another TSB

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

old
    Attachment 134121

new
    Attachment 134129
    There's no breaking in process for a turbocharger. There is no bearing or surface material that needs to 'wear in' to each other, and if there were(there's isn't, just to be clear), the average turbo is running between 110-150K RPM's.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

[QUOTE=pissedoffwookiee;10688337]the sound that started it all

Have to admit that my old fart ears just don't hear all the frequencies they should, so perhaps it isn't unusual that when I listened to your engine recording, I didn't hear any squeaking. At what part of the recording does the squeaking appear?

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    There's no breaking in process for a turbocharger. There is no bearing or surface material that needs to 'wear in' to each other, and if there were(there's isn't, just to be clear), the average turbo is running between 110-150K RPM's.
    I figured as much, wasn't going to anyway, the giggle peddle and a new turbo would have been too much for me to resist playing playing with.... my question was really more of a philosophical/technical one

much thanks to all for the answer

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I figured as much, wasn't going to anyway, the giggle peddle and a new turbo would have been too much for me to resist playing playing with.... my question was really more of a philosophical/technical one

much thanks to all for the answer
    The only thing I would do, is be 100% positive it has oil pressure running through it and that the lines are all leak free.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

[QUOTE=flycaster;10689769]
    the sound that started it all

Have to admit that my old fart ears just don't hear all the frequencies they should, so perhaps it isn't unusual that when I listened to your engine recording, I didn't hear any squeaking. At what part of the recording does the squeaking appear?
    From the very start.

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post

6550 miles

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

[QUOTE=bravnik;10690953]
    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

From the very start.
    I don't hear a "squeaking," but do hear what sounds like a rapid tapping???

Update..... inspection before re-installing the turbo revealed a cracked manifold too

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Update..... inspection before re-installing the turbo revealed a cracked manifold too
    So what would have caused that, the loose exhaust? With all they are replacing you would think your car would have been running poorly. After this it may run even better than before. Kind of like what I’ve been told about bypass surgery , you don't know how bad you felt until you get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    So what would have caused that the lose exhaust? With all they are replacing you would think your car would have been running poorly. After this it may run even better than before. Kind of like what I’ve been told about bypass surgery , you don't know how bad you felt until you get fixed.
    that would be cool.....the service history shows the exhaust tightening bulletin was performed at 17 miles, so i'm thinking it was never done or done badly. because the exhaust was loose, part of me thinks it wasn't done, but on the other hand my tech told me the O2 sensor had been removed and re-installed so it might have been done. this came up because he asked if i had any work done, to which the answer is other than oil change this was first time car worked on since purchase.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Work was probably done but not correctly, like you said it sounds like it was just not put back together 100% right and things went south from there.

I had an 04 Mazda RX-8 (loved that car) and they went through some issues with their new rotary. I never had a problem with mine but in good faith Mazda sent out power train warranty extensions. When I sold the car at the 6 yr mark I was able to hand the buyer the transferable warranty which gave him 4 years! It might be a good Idea if Cadillac considered something like that at least for the 2.0 T folks who have had issues like yours. It is a confidence builder and would help with resale but the base warranty is great so maybe no real advantage?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.