2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance with 650 miles - Check Engine Light
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance with 650 miles - Check Engine Light in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I proudly took delivery of my ATS on 07/26 when I finally saved up enough money to put a nice ...
    ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance

Unhappy 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance with 650 miles - Check Engine Light

I proudly took delivery of my ATS on 07/26 when I finally saved up enough money to put a nice down on the car. I've been following this cars release since it was rumored like a crazy person and I just love this car! I've been mostly satisfied and most everything seemed ok up until today when the check engine light came on during my drive up to San Francisco.

When accelerating from a stop, the car would shake a lot like I would be pushed forward and backward quickly as if the car is hesitating to move. It would barely accelerate when I pressed the gas pedal, too and I have been putting in nothing but premium in the car since I got it. The manual says putting in 87 would result in some shaking and engine knock so I found it odd I was experiencing similar problems like this using premium.

I set the temperature this morning to 73 degrees and only hot air would come into the cabin and this has happened before. Likewise, at high speeds with the air conditioner turned off, air would continue to flow into the cabin forcing me to close the manual shutters myself and opening the sunroof to get some cool air in there. By the way, that black grate thing that comes up when the sunroof opens is just awful! It's so noisy and the roof won't close automatically because it keeps hitting it and retracting backward. Boo! Can that be removed?

Looking back on when I took delivery, I noticed the air conditioner was set to low temperature yet warm air would enter the cabin. The sales guy attributed this to the 'breaking in process' and against my better judgment and while certainly hesitant, I took his word. Plus, Onstar detected no faults when I called with the sales guy nor were any faults in their report so now I'm thinking it's possible this car has had this problem from the start though the car didn't recognize it as a fault at the time. While I chose not to think the fault codes were cleared before that, it worries me it could be a possibility.

I called Onstar today and they ran a diagnostic and determined two system faults:

1) Fuel Control System - Code: P069E
    2) Engine Cooling Grill Air Shutter System - Code: P059F

The first issue is my biggest concern and I'm pretty bummed out and super disappointed. I paid a lot for this car so I could get away from these issues for a while with my old car (a Mercedes) so to ditch one trouble car for another, it's very frustrating for me!

The steering wheel also clicks and I read in other threads this is a known issue so the dealership is addressing this as well. It clicked since delivery!

I recently got a call from my dealership (Fremont Cadillac) and they told me it's a recall on the HVAC system and that is what is causing these problems. I remember reading many threads about the HVAC system: Knocking and tapping sounds along with only heat coming into the cabin among other problems. Now I am wondering when this recall was announced (it feels like it's a known issue for months) and if it was before I took delivery and if so, why it wasn't addressed before I drove off. Likewise, if the recall came in during the last week since delivery, why I never got a call to bring it in, especially for this problem which appears to be having a serious affect on my cars driving and potentially, my own safety.

I don't want to lose my faith in the ATS so I hope Cadillac will make this right. I also would like to be better informed of recalls. If the dealership knew about this recall but did not address it until it became a problem, I cannot trust they will not do it again. Is there any way to sign up for obtaining ATS recall information? Perhaps someone with Cadillac Customer Care can chime in?

You all have influenced my purchase of this car by reporting similar feedback and sharing your stories on this forum. I'm appreciative and thankful for any help or feedback. I still love the car (and of course the Opulent Blue Turbo rental I have in the meantime) and also attached a picture of mine. My plates just arrived Saturday as well.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSigma View Post
    I proudly took delivery of my ATS on 07/26 when I finally saved up enough money to put a nice down on the car. I've been following this cars release since it was rumored like a crazy person and I just love this car! I've been mostly satisfied and most everything seemed ok up until today when the check engine light came on during my drive up to San Francisco.

When accelerating from a stop, the car would shake a lot like I would be pushed forward and backward quickly as if the car is hesitating to move. It would barely accelerate when I pressed the gas pedal, too and I have been putting in nothing but premium in the car since I got it. The manual says putting in 87 would result in some shaking and engine knock so I found it odd I was experiencing similar problems like this using premium.

I set the temperature this morning to 73 degrees and only hot air would come into the cabin and this has happened before. Likewise, at high speeds with the air conditioner turned off, air would continue to flow into the cabin forcing me to close the manual shutters myself and opening the sunroof to get some cool air in there. By the way, that black grate thing that comes up when the sunroof opens is just awful! It's so noisy and the roof won't close automatically because it keeps hitting it and retracting backward. Boo! Can that be removed?

Looking back on when I took delivery, I noticed the air conditioner was set to low temperature yet warm air would enter the cabin. The sales guy attributed this to the 'breaking in process' and against my better judgment and while certainly hesitant, I took his word. Plus, Onstar detected no faults when I called with the sales guy nor were any faults in their report so now I'm thinking it's possible this car has had this problem from the start though the car didn't recognize it as a fault at the time. While I chose not to think the fault codes were cleared before that, it worries me it could be a possibility.

I called Onstar today and they ran a diagnostic and determined two system faults:

The first issue is my biggest concern and I'm pretty bummed out and super disappointed. I paid a lot for this car so I could get away from these issues for a while with my old car (a Mercedes) so to ditch one trouble car for another, it's very frustrating for me!

The steering wheel also clicks and I read in other threads this is a known issue so the dealership is addressing this as well. It clicked since delivery!

I recently got a call from my dealership (Fremont Cadillac) and they told me it's a recall on the HVAC system and that is what is causing these problems. I remember reading many threads about the HVAC system: Knocking and tapping sounds along with only heat coming into the cabin among other problems. Now I am wondering when this recall was announced (it feels like it's a known issue for months) and if it was before I took delivery and if so, why it wasn't addressed before I drove off. Likewise, if the recall came in during the last week since delivery, why I never got a call to bring it in, especially for this problem which appears to be having a serious affect on my cars driving and potentially, my own safety.

I don't want to lose my faith in the ATS so I hope Cadillac will make this right. I also would like to be better informed of recalls. If the dealership knew about this recall but did not address it until it became a problem, I cannot trust they will not do it again. Is there any way to sign up for obtaining ATS recall information? Perhaps someone with Cadillac Customer Care can chime in?

You all have influenced my purchase of this car by reporting similar feedback and sharing your stories on this forum. I'm appreciative and thankful for any help or feedback. I still love the car (and of course the Opulent Blue Turbo rental I have in the meantime) and also attached a picture of mine. My plates just arrived Saturday as well.
    First off congrats on your ATS, we share your excitement for the car. When you buy a first year production car you can expect these issues regardless of brand and more trips to the dealer than the people who wait a year. But hey we get to drive it sooner so its a trade off. The key is your dealer and GM making all the fixes. What you mentioned are not recalls but Tech Service Bulletins (TSB), some are to be addressed before delivery others only if the customer has the problem. You can find brief descriptions of TSB on the web and there are even pay sites that give the full details. The good news is if there is a TSB your dealer can fix it without a lot of trouble shooting. If you don't like your dealer find a better one but give them a shot. Good luck and I hope these few issues are corrected for you soonest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB

First off congrats on your ATS, we share your excitement for the car. When you buy a first year production car you can expect these issues regardless of brand and more trips to the dealer than the people who wait a year. But hey we get to drive it sooner so its a trade off. The key is your dealer and GM making all the fixes. What you mentioned are not recalls but Tech Service Bulletins (TSB), some are to be addressed before delivery others only if the customer has the problem. You can find brief descriptions of TSB on the web and there are even pay sites that give the full details. The good news is if there is a TSB your dealer can fix it without a lot of trouble shooting. If you don't like your dealer find a better one but give them a shot. Good luck and I hope these few issues are corrected for you soonest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Thanks for your feedback and explanation about the TSB's. I've got some things to learn about cars in general and this helps quite a bit. First model years worry me but I thought since the car was built later, some earlier reported issues would be resolved prior to the build but it seems it's not always the case.

The service guy had his first day yesterday he said earlier so he may not know the difference between a recall and a TSB. He said the problem has been resolved and they are waiting to get the confirmation from Cadillac HQ. This dealer has been very polite, helpful and they fit me in today so I'm pretty happy with them overall. In the midst of disappointment, I can get a little irrational. It's tough though when there's problems so early on. I remain optimistic that the problem won't be one that reoccurs so I can enjoy the car like I should! Driving around the loaner in the meantime has been fun. I get to see what the car is capable of when its at peak performance and its by far the best car I've driven. I'm sure that I will have no regrets!
    GJB likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance with 650 miles - Check Engine Light

Hi ATSigma,

I want to first of all say congrats on your ATS! I apologize for these issues that you are experiencing so soon after purchase. I understand your frustration with your situation, but I am glad your dealership called you and had you bring your vehicle in for servicing the recall. If you want to obtain vehicle information, including recalls, you can sign up at the owner center online. If you go to the Cadillac website and click the top tab that says "Owners", then click the "Owner Center" tab near the top right, you are able to manage your Cadillac after creating an account. I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to contact us if you ever need assistance with anything else.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc

Hi ATSigma,

I want to first of all say congrats on your ATS! I apologize for these issues that you are experiencing so soon after purchase. I understand your frustration with your situation, but I am glad your dealership called you and had you bring your vehicle in for servicing the recall. If you want to obtain vehicle information, including recalls, you can sign up at the owner center online. If you go to the Cadillac website and click the top tab that says "Owners", then click the "Owner Center" tab near the top right, you are able to manage your Cadillac after creating an account. I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to contact us if you ever need assistance with anything else.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you Laura. I'm signed up with the owners center so I'll check it out in more detail after work today.

Thank you Laura. I'm signed up with the owners center so I'll check it out in more detail after work today.
    Hello ATSigma,

You are welcome! The owners center is a great way to check up on your vehicle. Glad I was able to direct you to it. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

susan31885 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Luxury 2.0 Turbo

Angry Re: 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance with 650 miles - Check Engine Light

I purchased my 2013 2.0 Turbo Luxury ATS on 7/29 and after driving 5 miles off of the lot the check engine light came on! Called on star and got the same 2 issues. I was SO upset and could not believe I just traded in one vehicle with a check engine light on for another! They cleared it the next day and told me that if it came back on they would "have to do some investigating with a tech support team". I could not believe I just bought a brand new vehicle that was now going to need "investigating". Well here we are a few weeks later and the light came back on. I dropped it at the dealer yesterday and they just now called to tell me they had to order some component cables that wont arrive until Friday and they MIGHT have it fixed by the end of the day. So so so frustrating!!!

r45t4m4n is offline Cadillac Owners Member

you would really hate BMW then, my car has been at the shop for about 3 weeks now for a failed DME. Apparently the BMW parts database crashed and they lost track of all inventory, my replacement DME is now caught in purgatory somewhere. I can not wait to get it fixed and sold so I can move on.

Quote Originally Posted by susan31885 View Post
    I purchased my 2013 2.0 Turbo Luxury ATS on 7/29 and after driving 5 miles off of the lot the check engine light came on! Called on star and got the same 2 issues. I was SO upset and could not believe I just traded in one vehicle with a check engine light on for another! They cleared it the next day and told me that if it came back on they would "have to do some investigating with a tech support team". I could not believe I just bought a brand new vehicle that was now going to need "investigating". Well here we are a few weeks later and the light came back on. I dropped it at the dealer yesterday and they just now called to tell me they had to order some component cables that wont arrive until Friday and they MIGHT have it fixed by the end of the day. So so so frustrating!!!
    Hello susan31885,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your recent purchase of your ATS! I am sorry to hear for these issues you are experiencing so soon after purchase. I completely understand your frustration. I see the dealer has your vehicle and is fixing the issue. Please keep me posted on the status and outcome. I am here to assist. I can be reached via private message or by Email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Leroy_454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13' ATS Performance - 2.0T / auto

I recently picked up a '13 2.0T ATS. This is my first car after several pickup trucks, and I am still in awe over the ATS. Just like the OP, I got the check engine light with roughly the same 600 miles or so on the car. I read the DTCs with HPtuners scanner and I had the same P069E (Fuel System Control Module Requested MIL Illumination) and P059F. I didn't notice any engine performance issues, or heat and air issues; just the annoying check engine light. I cleared the codes since I am about 4 hours away from home, and didn't want to stare at the lamp. So far I am going to see if the lamp returns with time. ATSigma, were you able to get the issue resolved through the dealer?

Just to update my CEL issue with these codes on the ATS; I dropped the car off at my dealer yesterday evening. They checked it out today. Tech did an update (reflash) and all is well so far. About 50 miles driven since the update and running perfect with no CEL. I will report back if the DTCs return.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

this forum should have a "Wendy Whiner" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy_454 View Post
    Just to update my CEL issue with these codes on the ATS; I dropped the car off at my dealer yesterday evening. They checked it out today. Tech did an update (reflash) and all is well so far. About 50 miles driven since the update and running perfect with no CEL. I will report back if the DTCs return.
    Hello Leroy_454,

I am glad to hear that your dealership was able to address the CEL concern your ATS was experiencing. Thank you very much keeping us updated and please don’t hesitate to reach out to Laura or myself via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com if you have any further questions or concerns. I hope you continue to enjoy your ATS!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    this forum should have a "Wendy Whiner" section.
    I guess you prefer to stare at the CEL on a new car? Maybe you are referring to the long winded posts above, but I'm just trying to let the others know its an easy fix if you take it by the dealer.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy_454 View Post
    I guess you prefer to stare at the CEL on a new car? Maybe you are referring to the long winded posts above, but I'm just trying to let the others know its an easy fix if you take it by the dealer.
    No mate! I wasn't referring to your post in particular. Just this whole forum seems like all I hear about is this problem that problem. It's overwhelming sometimes. Seems like every other thread is complaints. My car is pretty much perfect. May be I should start a "MY ATS IS PERFECT" thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.