My car is a lemon
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, My car is a lemon in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Well, I have had my 2.0t for about 6 months, I have 2800 miles and my car has been in ...
    bboren994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

My car is a lemon

Well,

I have had my 2.0t for about 6 months, I have 2800 miles and my car has been in for service twice already.

First time I brought it in for service was because: When i was leaving the house, I pulled out onto the main road and accelerated normally. The car went into what i'll call a "limp mode." It drastically reduced engine power, check engine light came on, traction light came on, and the stabilitrac light came on. Also it had a bunch of warnings on the display. I immediately pulled over and inspected the car around the wheels and such, with no issues in sight. I then attempted to turn the car back on to see if it reset the errors, but it did not. I went to put it in first gear to start moving, but since it had barely any engine power, it stalled. I then restarted and gave it a lot more gas, and was able to get it moving. Lets just say i was a little late to work. When i left work, 8hrs later, only the check engine light was on, and engine power was restored. The next day i went straight to the dealer. ECU was fried.! The dealer replaced it, and off i went.

Second time I went to the dealer for service was because: randomly when I would pull up to a red light, in neutral, idling, the car would just shut off. No sputtering, no noise, no shaking. It would just die.

No error codes were found, and i even let the service manager drive it home for the night, but of course (murphys law) the car didnt stall when he had it. So, no fix was available.

NOWWWW, the next time the car stalls, I am going to bring it in for service, and then I am going to have to send GM a Lemon notice.... =(

I guess back to Ford Mustangs I go...........

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Lol seriously. Yup sounds like complete junk to me... 2 whole service visits!
    duneless likes this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: My car is a lemon

I'm not sure Ford is any better. A good friend of mine had repeating issues with his Ford Escape while it had under 10 thousand miles. Ford wouldn't buy the car back even though they couldn't fix the problems. The check engine light was on all the time. Finally the dealer stepped up and made him a great deal on a trade in but Ford left him out in the cold. My ATS had major engine issues and even after a new engine the car still wasn't right so GM , Cadillac and my dealer stepped up and bought my car back. They have been awesome and I couldn't be happier. My 2014 ATS is scheduled for production this week and my wife and I can't wait till it comes in. We haven't had our ATS for over a month now and we really miss it.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Quote Originally Posted by bboren994 View Post

Second time I went to the dealer for service was because: randomly when I would pull up to a red light, in neutral, idling, the car would just shut off. No sputtering, no noise, no shaking. It would just die.

No error codes were found, and i even let the service manager drive it home for the night, but of course (murphys law) the car didnt stall when he had it. So, no fix was available.

NOWWWW, the next time the car stalls, I am going to bring it in for service, and then I am going to have to send GM a Lemon notice.... =(

I would not think the extent of your issues as you described them would support a claim under any state lemon law. With that said frustration wise, new car, high expatiations we all get that. I would recommend calling/going to your dealer and asking if the recent update for the 4 cylinder engines applies to your car. One member with a 2.5 who had it done said it increased his idle RPM which smoothed out his rough idle. If it applies to the 2.0T (I think it may???) a higher idle RPM could/should solve the stall problem you were experiencing.

Good luck I hope you find a solution and you become excited about your car again.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

any car can have issues, one brands not exempt from problems.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Well,

I have had my 2.0t for about 6 months, I have 2800 miles and my car has been in for service twice already.

First time I brought it in for service was because: When i was leaving the house, I pulled out onto the main road and accelerated normally. The car went into what i'll call a "limp mode." It drastically reduced engine power, check engine light came on, traction light came on, and the stabilitrac light came on. Also it had a bunch of warnings on the display. I immediately pulled over and inspected the car around the wheels and such, with no issues in sight. I then attempted to turn the car back on to see if it reset the errors, but it did not. I went to put it in first gear to start moving, but since it had barely any engine power, it stalled. I then restarted and gave it a lot more gas, and was able to get it moving. Lets just say i was a little late to work. When i left work, 8hrs later, only the check engine light was on, and engine power was restored. The next day i went straight to the dealer. ECU was fried.! The dealer replaced it, and off i went.

A friend of mine deals with lemon law customers for a high end brand. Most claims are because of buyers remorse, not because of car problems. Finding 'non-fixable' issues in modern cars is rare.

As long as the dealer gives you a loaner, and works on the problem, there is no cost to you? A bit of nuisance - dropping/pickup up the car at the dealers.

Oh, and you don't qualify for the lemon yet - the car must have been at the dealer for at least 30 days in the first year for the SAME issue - and even then there are more checks that ALL need apply.

I would wait for a final diagnosis and result. From the sound of it you just had a bad ECU.

From the 'general' lemon law explanations:

Once an owner meets the criteria for a Lemon-Law buyback, they will have to retain a lawyer. To qualify for consideration, a car generally has to be inoperable for at least 30 days during its first 12 months or 12,000 miles. Details vary from state to state, so inquire at your state Attorney General's office, a consumer protection agency, or the Center for Auto Safety.

In the long run, it is usually better for the consumer to get the vehicle repaired than to go through the expense of a Lemon-Law buyback.

As a rule, most of the following conditions must apply for a Lemon Law to be effective:
    • The vehicle must have a serious defect or abnormal condition.
    • The problem must substantially impair the usage or value of the vehicle, or produce a serious safety hazard.
    • While the vehicle is under warranty, the problem must be reported to the dealer or manufacturer.
    • A reasonable number of attempts must be made to fix the problem.
    • Written notice must be given to the manufacturer, who gets one last chance to remedy the complaint.
    Even if you "win" a Lemon Law case, the automaker can often deduct value for the mileage you've put on the vehicle.

ATSGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I am having the EXACT same issue. Ive had my car for a little over 3 months and its been in SIX times. Stalled 3 x a few weeks ago. Had a file # with GM and their decision for me a few days ago was to bring it BACK to the dealership and have a data recorder installed since the car isnt registering any errors and they cant duplicate the stall. Dont really feel like I should be their guinea pig but whatever, told myself I would bring it back in this week. This morning I am on a busy freeway here in Detroit and its shaking so bad I find myself pulled over on the side of the freeway. Dont know what needs to happen in order for them to listen to me but I have officially had it. Calling them back today. Cant believe I am paying this much $ for a car I dont feel safe in.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Well,

Hello bboren994,

I am sorry you feel this way about your ATS based on your current situation. I understand your frustration in having to deal with your vehicle stalling issue and having to bring it in for service with such low mileage. If there is anything I can to do assist, please reach out to me. I am here to help assist with customer concerns and questions. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I'm not sure Ford is any better. A good friend of mine had repeating issues with his Ford Escape while it had under 10 thousand miles. Ford wouldn't buy the car back even though they couldn't fix the problems. The check engine light was on all the time. Finally the dealer stepped up and made him a great deal on a trade in but Ford left him out in the cold. My ATS had major engine issues and even after a new engine the car still wasn't right so GM , Cadillac and my dealer stepped up and bought my car back. They have been awesome and I couldn't be happier. My 2014 ATS is scheduled for production this week and my wife and I can't wait till it comes in. We haven't had our ATS for over a month now and we really miss it.
    Hello JSATS,

I am sorry for the trouble you had to go through with your last ATS. I happy GM and your Cadillac dealership were able to help you with your issue. I see you have purchased a 14' ATS. This must be exciting for you and your wife. You should create a thread and post pictures of your awesome 2014 ATS once you have it in your hands!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I'll bet dollars to donuts you have an intermittent stuck turbo charger....that happened to mine when I first got the car; not enough lube causing a scraping on the sides and occasional freeze up, choking and/or stalling engine. They replaced it... ....problem solved!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ATSGIRL View Post
    I am having the EXACT same issue. Ive had my car for a little over 3 months and its been in SIX times. Stalled 3 x a few weeks ago. Had a file # with GM and their decision for me a few days ago was to bring it BACK to the dealership and have a data recorder installed since the car isnt registering any errors and they cant duplicate the stall. Dont really feel like I should be their guinea pig but whatever, told myself I would bring it back in this week. This morning I am on a busy freeway here in Detroit and its shaking so bad I find myself pulled over on the side of the freeway. Dont know what needs to happen in order for them to listen to me but I have officially had it. Calling them back today. Cant believe I am paying this much $ for a car I dont feel safe in.
    Hello ATSGIRL,

I am sorry for the trouble you are experiencing with your ATS. We care about our customers safety and do not want them to feel unsafe while driving their vehicle. I see you are still working with the dealership towards a resolution and had a case number. If you would like me to look into this for you, can you please private message me and include your VIN and or case number?

Thanks,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

richardbbarger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post

A friend of mine deals with lemon law customers for a high end brand. Most claims are because of buyers remorse, not because of car problems. Finding 'non-fixable' issues in modern cars is rare.

As long as the dealer gives you a loaner, and works on the problem, there is no cost to you? A bit of nuisance - dropping/pickup up the car at the dealers.

Oh, and you don't qualify for the lemon yet - the car must have been at the dealer for at least 30 days in the first year for the SAME issue. ...

From the 'general' lemon law explanations:

Once an owner meets the criteria for a Lemon-Law buyback, they will have to retain a lawyer. To qualify for consideration, a car generally has to be inoperable for at least 30 days during its first 12 months or 12,000 miles. Details vary from state to state, so inquire at your state Attorney General's office, a consumer protection agency, or the Center for Auto Safety.

In the long run, it is usually better for the consumer to get the vehicle repaired than to go through the expense of a Lemon-Law buyback.

As a rule, most of the following conditions must apply for a Lemon Law to be effective:
    [*]The vehicle must have a serious defect or abnormal condition.[*]The problem must substantially impair the usage or value of the vehicle, or produce a serious safety hazard.[*]While the vehicle is under warranty, the problem must be reported to the dealer or manufacturer.[*]A reasonable number of attempts must be made to fix the problem.[*]Written notice must be given to the manufacturer, who gets one last chance to remedy the complaint.

Even if you "win" a Lemon Law case, the automaker can often deduct value for the mileage you've put on the vehicle.
    Depending on the state, bboren, you don't need a lawyer to pursue a Lemon Law case.

GM voluntarily participates in the Better Business Bureau Auto Line arbitration program (not all manufacturers do this). As a Senior Arbitrator, I've handled Lemon Law cases, and no lawyer is necessary.

Everything else blue_skies said is spot on. It appears that you don't yet qualify under Lemon Law statutes.

However, under the Auto Line program, the BBB arbitrates non-Lemon Law disputes; I've heard far more of those cases, sometimes even transferring a Lemon Law complaint to a non-Lemon Law case, when that seemed to be the fairer or more appropriate approach.

Contact your local BBB or the Council of Better Business Bureaus for more information.

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

Please see my update about 2.5 update. Still not completely fixed

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I see you live in FL, as I do. I was once thinking about going lemon with my 2002 BMW 325's A/C problem. As I recall, one of the stipulations was that if the dealership couldn't fix a significant problem after three tries, one could then initiate a lemon claim. BMW fixed the A/C on the third try. Check to see if the "third try" stipulation is still in effect. In any event, good luck.

transam00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T

I dont want to see these issues .im getting 2.0 very soon.

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by transam00 View Post
    I dont want to see these issues .im getting 2.0 very soon.
    From my understanding, the stall issue is on the manual only, and I haven't heard of any 2014 owners complaining about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be limited to the 2013s? Unless you're buying 2013 dealer stock?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.