2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I drive in the city with a lot of traffic. The car barely gets up above speeds of 55mph. Recently ...
    Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles

I drive in the city with a lot of traffic. The car barely gets up above speeds of 55mph. Recently I moved and now my commute to work has a road with a 70mph limit. As strange as it is, I'm now having a shaking in the steering wheel. Long story short, two wheels have found to be bent. 1 in the front, 1 in the back.
    -I have the 17" factory wheel package
    -Tires are factory Michellin run flats.
    A friend of mine works at a Tires Plus and says he is shocked to see this happen. With how stiff the sidewalls are on run flats it seems very unlikely for these to be bent in a pot hole. If so, it would have to very large, and a very hard hit.
    I myself know this car has never had any damage from potholes, the dealer won't even attempt to send in a warranty claim, saying that it is abuse.

I figured I would ask you guys and see what your opinion is. Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles

Not much to go on. How do you think they got bent? Enough to see in a picture?

No idea honestly. Picture wouldnt work, you can only see when you spin the wheel

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

this is especially weird, because GM wheels are extraordinarily strong, they have a requirement that their wheels/tires withstand jumping a curb, at a certain speed, i forget the speed though it's like 10 or so mph, and i was told they sought and got an exception to this requirement for the 19" upgrade wheels. so knowing this i can see why the dealer might think abuse, they're used to bulletproof wheels, I myself have accidentally tested this in a target parking lot, street/parking lot lamp burned out, black pavement, extremely dark concrete curb (dark from tire marks, so it wasnt just me) i turn right around the burned out lamp at end of parking aisle thinking the planter/island its in is perpendicular to the aisle instead it's a triangle jutting out right across my path and WHAM! WHAM! .... i got out inspected everything and other than scuffed tires which wiped away no damage, and nothing bent or out of balance

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Have you asked the dealer what his justification is for determining "abuse" If a wheel is out of round with no visible markings of a hit on the tire or wheel how could they make that claim.

Now if this is a new symptom which it seems to be I would assume it happened under your watch and material defect is unlikely on a wheel if it was good when you got the car. Has anyone other than you driven the car without you in it?

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    Have you asked the dealer what his justification is for determining "abuse" If a wheel is out of round with no visible markings of a hit on the tire or wheel how could they make that claim.

Now if this is a new symptom which it seems to be I would assume it happened under your watch and material defect is unlikely on a wheel if it was good when you got the car. Has anyone other than you driven the car without you in it?
    I would say this is the case, the assumption of abuse might in part be because it was not sold with bent wheels, had it come from the factory this way it would have been replaced on Cadillacs dime, and the title of this thread is a clue "wheels bent at 3700 miles" not "bent at delivery", but playing devils advocate .... stranger things have happened

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    I would say this is the case, the assumption of abuse might in part be because it was not sold with bent wheels, had it come from the factory this way it would have been replaced on Cadillacs dime, and the title of this thread is a clue "wheels bent at 3700 miles" not "bent at delivery", but playing devils advocate .... stranger things have happened
    I guess I'm curious if anyone here has experienced a similar event. In my commute (like last night for example) didnt feel anything the whole was home until the last 1/2 mile of highway where it had a light, light vibration. And then this morning it was shaking very bad even on the same road where last night it didnt have any effect at all. I'm going to ask the dealer to look for tire damage to prove it has pot hole damage. I think that would be the best way to resolve this, correct?

ATSturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Same thing happened to me too, maybe its the 17" wheel package? I've got a buddy that has the 18" wheels and I watched him run over a curb at maybe 15 MPH and we checked his wheels on a hunter road force and all of his wheels are still good.

Mine were bent on the right front and right rear, and I know I've never abused the wheels. Which wheels are bent on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ATSturbo View Post
    Same thing happened to me too, maybe its the 17" wheel package? I've got a buddy that has the 18" wheels and I watched him run over a curb at maybe 15 MPH and we checked his wheels on a hunter road force and all of his wheels are still good.

Mine were bent on the right front and right rear, and I know I've never abused the wheels. Which wheels are bent on yours?
    You didn't say which 18" wheels went over the curb at 15 MPH or which 17" wheels you have. The standard base 17" wheels are lighter than the optional 17" wheels but have a similar number and size of spokes so may be a bit weaker although the weight difference is less than 2 lbs for all 4 wheels. But the base 17" wheels don't come with run flat tires so the sidewalls would colapse sooner to the point g forces to the wheel would spike. But the two 18" wheel styles are vastly different in weight and spoke configuration so please post which type it was.
    GJB likes this.

-ATS- is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ATSturbo View Post

****, I hope my wheels don't bend from just street driving. Them ****s are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    You didn't say which 18" wheels went over the curb at 15 MPH or which 17" wheels you have. The standard base 17" wheels are lighter than the optional 17" wheels but have a similar number and size of spokes so may be a bit weaker although the weight difference is less than 2 lbs for all 4 wheels. But the base 17" wheels don't come with run flat tires so the sidewalls would colapse sooner to the point g forces to the wheel would spike. But the two 18" wheel styles are vastly different in weight and spoke configuration so please post which type it was.
    My tires are 'Zero Pressure' rated and Tires Plus told me there were run flats. Correct? Oh and also, my two right wheels are the one they claim are bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    It's the standard 17" wheel. I looked on Michellens website, the tires are run flats. Which really starts to puzzle me. The dealership is really hard to work with on this issue. Giving me no chance to look into it deeper. I told them if it comes to the point I need to take pictures and send it to Cadillac I would do so, but he said "with these low profile tires there usually isnt any signs of damage from a pot hole, the bent wheel is the proof there was damage done."

Here are the pictures. Not a single sign of a pot hole. The damaged wheels were in the opposite corners of the car (LF and RR)Dealership refuses to warranty anything. Not too happy

If the dealer can't/won't do anything, can a wheel repair place fix that?

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

The first and third pictures appear to show rather deep gouges while the others show black rub marks. The gouges are running more or less from the rim towards the center which would seem to indicate dropping into a pothole rather than bushing up against a curb.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.