2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by MASCAD The first and third pictures appear to show rather deep gouges while the others show black ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2 bent wheels at 3,700 miles

Quote Originally Posted by MASCAD View Post
    The first and third pictures appear to show rather deep gouges while the others show black rub marks. The gouges are running more or less from the rim towards the center which would seem to indicate dropping into a pothole rather than bushing up against a curb.
    Are you talking about the marks someone put on the tires and wheels to show where it was bent?

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Are you talking about the marks someone put on the tires and wheels to show where it was bent?
    No; Looking at the rim in the two pictures cited it appears that the aluminum is gouged. Just follow the yellowish mark from the tire to the rim. Maybe it's just the way the picture is taken or my eyes are deceiving me but it sure looks like a typical case of curb rash except it running in the wrong direction. The other pictures show this blackish rub mark in between the yellow marks on the rim.

No; Looking at the rim in the two pictures cited it appears that the aluminum is gouged. Just follow the yellowish mark from the tire to the rim. Maybe it's just the way the picture is taken or my eyes are deceiving me but it sure looks like a typical case of curb rash except it running in the wrong direction. The other pictures show this blackish rub mark in between the yellow marks on the rim.
    I can't see anything in the first, third and fourth pictures except the white grease pencil marks on both the wheel and tire.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I can't see anything in the first, third and fourth pictures except the white grease pencil marks on both the wheel and tire.
    Could be they just have the mark on so thick that it looks like the aluminum is "piled' up like what happens been a rim is run against a curb.

Bryce2.0T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Standard

The black mark on the actual wheel is just grease mark. I took the photo then cleaned it and debated about taking another. Even the black thin line on the upper lip is just dirt. Wheel repair for these two is $300

Found a shop to straighten them for less. The thing that worries me is that they will bend again. Knowing it didn't take much to ruin these originally. (even with show ZERO signs of ever hitting a pot hole) Either they came bent when I bought it with 80mi or these are really just shit designed wheels. Coming from owning a previous GM with 18"s I do some some room to speak on the subject. Disappointed in the quality overall.
    Muffin likes this.

Casey.K is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I actually just bought a 2013 dealer loaner car with 3900 miles on it that had the same issue. I noticed a vibration during the test drive and made it a condition of the sale that the issue would be fixed. Turns out that the rims were not round as you are describing, and they replaced every wheel with those from another car on the lot. It could have been curb damage or a pothole, but I kind of doubt it now after reading your post. If enough of these cases pop up it could be a manufacturing defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey.K View Post
    I actually just bought a 2013 dealer loaner car with 3900 miles on it that had the same issue. I noticed a vibration during the test drive and made it a condition of the sale that the issue would be fixed. Turns out that the rims were not round as you are describing, and they replaced every wheel with those from another car on the lot. It could have been curb damage or a pothole, but I kind of doubt it now after reading your post. If enough of these cases pop up it could be a manufacturing defect.
    I would have bought the car they took the wheels off of. You could get a heck of a deal for an ATS up on cinder blocks.
    GJB likes this.

Jakb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

With runflats tires the rims takes the grunt of all impact even minimal and will bend and crack much easier and this is well known fact and No it will not be claimable under warranty

If you research the BMW community where runflats have been standard for many years you will see this as common fact and why people get rid of them or buy the wheel and tire insurance (ask your dealer about it)

Personally after having owned 4 E90s BMW over the last few years and having bent and cracked a few wheels over very minimal impacts the first thing I do now is to install regular tires (same for my ATS)

I have read about how run flats suck for tires and can transfer energy 10x worse into the wheel. I've been driving about 4,000 miles now on the "repaired wheels" and its still horrible on the freeway. The road force balancing came back with 16-22(pounds I believe?) for every single tire. I was told this was in spec, and the dealer was not confident enough they could balance them any better. Long story short they said even tho they were repaired, they will never be back to perfect.

get aftermarket wheels and tires
    you wont believe the difference in ride quality

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build Date 12/21/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jakb View Post
    get aftermarket wheels and tires
    you wont believe the difference in ride quality

What did you replace with?

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    What did you replace with?
    I took delivery of my car last week and will be putting my winters on the OEM wheels next week
    215/50/17 Michelin X-Ice Xi2

For summers I'm hesitating and it will be one of 2 choices depending if I go for performance or for show
    If I go for go it will be Braelin 18x9 wheels with 245/40/18s Sumitomo HTRZ III o
    If I go for Show it will be TSW wheels 19x8 fronts and 19x9.5 rears with 235/3519 and 265/30/19 PS2 I have lying around from a previous car

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

im selling my stock 17 inch rims if anyone wants them. i plan to get bigger ones. the tires have about 10k miles on them now.

Debating between 19" and 18" Heard 19" are rough for this car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.