Ugh... Album artwork???? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Ugh... Album artwork???? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Works fine, other than phones as I mentioned above. Artwork shows up in the main CUE screen and also on ...
    Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Re: Ugh... Album artwork????

Works fine, other than phones as I mentioned above. Artwork shows up in the main CUE screen and also on the center gauge display area when audio function is selected. A couple pics, quality isn't the best but you get the idea...currently reading music from a thumb drive.

1formula is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

thnaks for posting the pics! CUE support doesn't even know if album art is possible... they gave up and told me to go to the dealer

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
    Works fine, other than phones as I mentioned above. Artwork shows up in the main CUE screen and also on the center gauge display area when audio function is selected. A couple pics, quality isn't the best but you get the idea...currently reading music from a thumb drive.
    what do you use to manage your USB thumb drive? just drag and drop from your iTunes folder?

ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by 1formula
    thnaks for posting the pics! CUE support doesn't even know if album art is possible... they gave up and told me to go to the dealer

----------

what do you use to manage your USB thumb drive? just drag and drop from your iTunes folder?
    Hello!

I forgot to repost my findings after working with the dealership and the CUE team. Album artwork only works when you have a device plugged into the car. Bluetooth does not work. At least not yet but I was told this is in the works (along with making the car a mobile hotspot with a wireless connection but that's another topic). When I connect my iPhone to the car using the cord, it reads the album artwork and displays it just fine. I haven't tried a thumb drive or sd card but it is supposed to work just the same. The gracenote feature in the car is what reads the data in the music file and displays that on the screen. Since the car has no internet connection, it cannot connect to gracenote and download information which explains why the cd information does not load as well. The cars weather app is provided by xm radio as a service while you are a subscriber and I bring this up because it seems like there could be a way to have gracenote follow on the same signal but I guess it's not meant to be used that way. I dunno. I'm not an engineer but I guess we shall see what happens in the next update.

Random side note. Apparently Cadillac apps is supposed to launch sometime 2014.
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 1formula View Post

----------

Exactly, just drag and drop from an iTunes folder on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSigma View Post
    When I connect my iPhone to the car using the cord, it reads the album artwork and displays it just fine. I haven't tried a thumb drive or sd card but it is supposed to work just the same. The gracenote feature in the car is what reads the data in the music file and displays that on the screen. Since the car has no internet connection, it cannot connect to gracenote and download information which explains why the cd information does not load as well. .
    thanks for the feedback, interesting.

the odd thing is, other cars, including GM cars, use gracenote for album art just fine with out internet connection.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ATSigma View Post
    Hello!

I forgot to repost my findings after working with the dealership and the CUE team. Album artwork only works when you have a device plugged into the car. Bluetooth does not work. At least not yet but I was told this is in the works (along with making the car a mobile hotspot with a wireless connection but that's another topic). When I connect my iPhone to the car using the cord, it reads the album artwork and displays it just fine. I haven't tried a thumb drive or sd card but it is supposed to work just the same. The gracenote feature in the car is what reads the data in the music file and displays that on the screen. Since the car has no internet connection, it cannot connect to gracenote and download information which explains why the cd information does not load as well. The cars weather app is provided by xm radio as a service while you are a subscriber and I bring this up because it seems like there could be a way to have gracenote follow on the same signal but I guess it's not meant to be used that way. I dunno. I'm not an engineer but I guess we shall see what happens in the next update.

Random side note. Apparently Cadillac apps is supposed to launch sometime 2014.
    Hello ATSigma,

Thank you for posting your results! I’m glad the CUE team was able to clear up the confusion in regards to the Gracenote system and the album art work. I hope your post helps other members who have the same question. Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    That makes sense my album artwork works fine on my iPod but I use the cord to plug in, mostly because I want to keep it charged. I also use USB drive and SD card both work fine also, but I have never tried playing music over Bluetooth so it may not work on mine either. I have a 2014 Premium.

my SD card and USB do NOT show album artwork.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1formula View Post
    Some of mine do and some don't but I just copied a bunch of files from my PC and while they all show artwork on the PC, they were ripped from my CDs at different times by different programs. I guess CUE recognizes some types of tagging and not others. I just haven't tried to figure out how to make them all work. I think someone posted something about that a long time ago.

ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by 1formula
    I'm going to put some songs on these devices and connect them to my car and see it the album artwork will work. I can't really remember but are you in the Northern California, San Jose area? You might consider taking your car to Fremont Cadillac but first call CUE customer service and have them work together with your sd card and thumb drive to determine the problem.

Here's some phone numbers!

CUE Customer Service: (855) 428-3669

I talked with a guy named Andrew who helped me out and is familiar with the case who could work with you at your dealership if you live elsewhere. He was very helpful and called back often to see how things were going. You can reach him at:

Technical Assistance Center: (866) 790-5700 and his extension is 21210

He also gave me a general number about the car to call GM at:

Customer Assistance Center: (800) 458-8006

Hope you can find a solution for your ATS!

CUE support is very nice and professional... but doesn't know anything about if the CUE system supports album artwork or how to make it work. the dealer claims it worked on their device, but did not try bt streaming or the other device (can't recall if they used SD card or USB drive), nor did they try mine or tell me how to get mine to work.

so... it worked the first day i had the car and that's it.

paul780 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

I have spent a great deal of time trying to get this figured out, and here is what I've determined.

You will only get album artwork over Bluetooth if you are using the Pandora CUE app. Depending upon what phone you have, and what Bluetooth stack version you may be able to get song info to show on CUE instead of it just saying "Bluetooth audio", but as I said this depends on your phone's Bluetooth stack version. For example, my phone was running Android 4.2 and used to say "Bluetooth audio". But when I upgraded to android 4.3 which included a new Bluetooth stack version 1.3 CUE now displays the song info when streaming Bluetooth audio from my phone. Even if using Spotify where the songs are saved locally on my phone.

If using an iPod connected through USB you'll have the most success with getting album artwork. This has a lot to do with the fact iTunes manages the album artwork. So if your iTunes has the proper album artwork showing for you, it will show on CUE.

When using songs off USB stick or SD card the gracenote system is terribly unreliable. Even extremely well known albums like Led Zeppelin' were not displaying album artwork automatically. I ended up manually adding all the album artwork myself into Windows Media Player and then copying the mp3's onto USB. At this point the album artwork shows up on CUE. I even tested putting a picture of my kids as album artwork for a song in Media Player and sure enough CUE showed this image when this song played. While manually adding all of the artwork is slow and tedious is was a way to make it show when playing off of USB and/or SD cards.

Hope this info is helpful and saves some frustration for others.

thanks paul780.

i get the album art over bt ONLY with the Pandora CUE app.... regardless of phone, i cannot get album artwork over BT for songs streaming from the phone (i only get the bt icon).

also, regardless of format (aac, mp3, etc.) and regardless of how artwork was done (itunes, manually, etc.) and regardless of USB stick or SD card, i cannot get album artwork with USB or SD cards. even manually adding a pic, like a family pic, NOTHING shows except the generic icon (usb stick or SD card).

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by paul780 View Post
    I have spent a great deal of time trying to get this figured out, and here is what I've determined.

You will only get album artwork over Bluetooth if you are using the Pandora CUE app. Depending upon what phone you have, and what Bluetooth stack version you may be able to get song info to show on CUE instead of it just saying "Bluetooth audio", but as I said this depends on your phone's Bluetooth stack version. For example, my phone was running Android 4.2 and used to say "Bluetooth audio". But when I upgraded to android 4.3 which included a new Bluetooth stack version 1.3 CUE now displays the song info when streaming Bluetooth audio from my phone. Even if using Spotify where the songs are saved locally on my phone.

If using an iPod connected through USB you'll have the most success with getting album artwork. This has a lot to do with the fact iTunes manages the album artwork. So if your iTunes has the proper album artwork showing for you, it will show on CUE.

When using songs off USB stick or SD card the gracenote system is terribly unreliable. Even extremely well known albums like Led Zeppelin' were not displaying album artwork automatically. I ended up manually adding all the album artwork myself into Windows Media Player and then copying the mp3's onto USB. At this point the album artwork shows up on CUE. I even tested putting a picture of my kids as album artwork for a song in Media Player and sure enough CUE showed this image when this song played. While manually adding all of the artwork is slow and tedious is was a way to make it show when playing off of USB and/or SD cards.

Hope this info is helpful and saves some frustration for others.
    As an addendum, when you manually add the artwork you sometimes have to experiment with different cover images with pixel or resolution variations. Some thumbnails or pics off the internet work; while other images don't. I find that by experimenting with different images and using the double twist app I can get ALL my songs to display artwork on my thumbdrive....it is tedious! Also, I too have NEVER gotten the bluetooth to display any artwork; if I have Pandora hook up through the USB, I can get artwork every time. I never saw any artwork with XM radio and don't believe it is available through that service....I no longer subscribe or have it!

i don't get album arwork with any USB drive or any SD card using any program (including double twist) with any album artwork of any format.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.