20 inch wheels? - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 20 inch wheels? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by transam00 I'll be picking up 2014 shortly . Im already disappointed that I cant put 275 / ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 20 inch wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by transam00 View Post
    I'll be picking up 2014 shortly . Im already disappointed that I cant put 275 / 18 front and 295/18 rears . They should have made more room in there. How are you gonna put down 300hp on a 225.
    DON'T PANIC! [/hitchhiker's guide]

First, the rubber on the road is not linear as you go to wider tire, i.e. a tire twice as wide doesn't put even half as much more rubber on the road. Second, grip is based on area times down force (weight of car). So just as tire width doesn't increase area as much as you might think, more area also means less down force per inch of that area. Third, you can put wider than 225s on these cars (the factory does it!). Fourth, the optimum amount of rubber depends on the weight of a car as much as the power. This is a 33-34xx lb car not some tub o' lard Camaro. Fifth, get some performance tires and you will be fine.

turbo_ats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T 6-speed

Here's my 2014 on 20's. Looks and drives great. Go for the 20's. 18's are too small in my opinion but to each their own.
    photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Jakb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    DON'T PANIC! [/hitchhiker's guide]

First, the rubber on the road is not linear as you go to wider tire, i.e. a tire twice as wide doesn't put even half as much more rubber on the road. Second, grip is based on area times down force (weight of car). So just as tire width doesn't increase area as much as you might think, more area also means less down force per inch of that area. Third, you can put wider than 225s on these cars (the factory does it!). Fourth, the optimum amount of rubber depends on the weight of a car as much as the power. This is a 33-34xx lb car not some tub o' lard Camaro. Fifth, get some performance tires and you will be fine.
    +100
    Best 3 performance upgrades in order
    1. better tires (245 all around are perfect for this car )
    2. upgraded Brake pads ( brake better = go faster)
    3. driving lessons

Good tires first

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by transam00 View Post
    I'll be picking up 2014 shortly . Im already disappointed that I cant put 275 / 18 front and 295/18 rears . They should have made more room in there. How are you gonna put down 300hp on a 225.
    Curve got the wheel kit for the FE3 Suspension so they're staggered if you get the FE2 set you'd be looking at the 225 all around

curve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Curve got the wheel kit for the FE3 Suspension so they're staggered if you get the FE2 set you'd be looking at the 225 all around
    The 265x30x19's are perfect in the rear. No rubbing at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.