Regular vs. Premium Gas
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Regular vs. Premium Gas in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I'm wondering if there is any benefit to using premium gas in my ATS. I have a 3.6 V6. The ...
    rblack77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium and SRX Luxury

Regular vs. Premium Gas

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to using premium gas in my ATS. I have a 3.6 V6. The dealer said premium is recommended, but I could use either. Can I expect any benefit from premium?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Regular vs. Premium Gas

Quote Originally Posted by rblack77 View Post
    I'm wondering if there is any benefit to using premium gas in my ATS. I have a 3.6 V6. The dealer said premium is recommended, but I could use either. Can I expect any benefit from premium?
    Nope, your dealer needs retraining, here are the recent cadillacs that use premium:

ATS 2.0T (recommended for full power, but can use either)
    SRX turbo (required, had a recall for people who damaged the engine using regular)
    CTS-V all bodies (required)
    Escalade (premium or E-85 recommended for full power, but can use regular)
    STS-V (required)
    XLR-V (required can cause check engine light if not used)
    STS

bottom line, one of the things Cadillac is proud of is that your 3.6 uses regular gasoline they mention this pretty often as a selling point vs the Germans.

EDIT......GM puts a label on the Fuel door if the vehicle has special requirements, no label=regular just follow the fuel door and you'll be golden.

What I will never understand are people who insist on using regular knowing full well they bought a car that asks for premium. At about $.20 a gallon more for premium, a weekly fill for my 16 gallon tank costs me $3.20 or $166.40 a year if that bothered me I would have bought a different car, instead I bought what makes me smile, and that's pretty cheap proper care and feeding for my ride.

Enjoy that sweet V6 and smile bigger at the BMW next to you every time you buy the cheap gas
    rand49er and Bertha D Blues like this.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Regular is recommended in the 3.6 and Premium is recommended in the 2.0. You can run either car on regular or premium. I stick to the recommendation and in the case of the 3.6 there should be no benifit running premium if your car has not been tuned or modified to where premium would be recommended.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

you'd be pissing away dollars

rblack77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium and SRX Luxury
    Thanks guys. Just checking to see if there was any benefit to the premium. I agree that I hate the idea of filling with premium when I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by rblack77 View Post
    Thanks guys. Just checking to see if there was any benefit to the premium. I agree that I hate the idea of filling with premium when I don't have to.
    Total agreement here, if I have to, I don't care I chose the car......if I don't have to why the hell would I?.....the 2.0T is interesting, because the recommended rating doesn't mean I strictly have to, but i bought a car with 272 ponies not 260 or 250, why would i hamper myself like that, it'd be like buying the nicest running shoes but leaving the laces off because i could. it seems to me throwing your performance out the window like that (shoes or car) is a bigger waste of money than the pittance in extra gas money, it'd be wiser to buy the base engine or flip-flops.
    Ihuntv8 likes this.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Total agreement here, if I have to, I don't care I chose the car......if I don't have to why the hell would I?.....the 2.0T is interesting, because the recommended rating doesn't mean I strictly have to, but i bought a car with 272 ponies not 260 or 250, why would i hamper myself like that, it'd be like buying the nicest running shoes but leaving the laces off because i could. it seems to me throwing your performance out the window like that (shoes or car) is a bigger waste of money than the pittance in extra gas money, it'd be wiser to buy the base engine or flip-flops.
    on target... Had I purchased the 2.0T premium is what I would use. Strictly from a fuel cost perspective the 3.6 with regular gas has lower MPG ratings than the 2.0T but regular vs premium does ofset some of the additional fuel cost associated with lower MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    on target... Had I purchased the 2.0T premium is what I would use. Strictly from a fuel cost perspective the 3.6 with regular gas has lower MPG ratings than the 2.0T but regular vs premium does ofset some of the additional fuel cost associated with lower MPG.
    here's a wrinkle for you.....what you say is true, but to achieve that with the turbo requires the kind of discipline many if not most buyers of performance engines don't possess, so in the real world 3.6 buyers have an easier time and are therefore much more likely to achieve a higher average mpg. that big flat torque curve is more tempting to us than a room full of treats to a 6th grader, and costs us dearly vs your more progressively torqued v6 and a more powerful engine can achieve better fuel economy by virtue of doing the same work with less throttle.
    GJB likes this.

GJB

You definitely need to decide what kind of driver you want to be before making your trim/engine decision. Once I decided I did not want another MT due to DC traffic I decide the 3.6 was best for my situation and the regular gas was a bonus. Now if I could just get a 2.0T/MT for the weekends....

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Considering the 3.6 is D/I and most premium grade gas use more detergent than regular or mid-grade, I'd be using 93, if I planned on keeping the car. Carbon buildup is a nasty thing. If you absolutely can't be bothered with a $150 premium on gas every year, at least make sure you get top-tier grade gas.

here's a wrinkle for you.....what you say is true, but to achieve that with the turbo requires the kind of discipline many if not most buyers of performance engines don't possess, so in the real world 3.6 buyers have an easier time and are therefore much more likely to achieve a higher average mpg. that big flat torque curve is more tempting to us than a room full of treats to a 6th grader, and costs us dearly vs your more progressively torqued v6 and a more powerful engine can achieve better fuel economy by virtue of doing the same work with less throttle.
    You need to lay off the giggles-pedal. I don't hypermill at all, drive through 15-20 of stop and go out of my 30-45 minute commute(one way) every day, go WOT several times, and I manage 24 mpg (the EPA rated) very easily. So do a lot of other 2.0T owners.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I only use premium but the difference locally is 40-50 cents/gal. E85 is $0.20 less than regular/gal so I am setting my car up as a true flex fuel vehicle. Vtuner has a package for this with the GM fuel sensor, wiring, and tune.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue
    E85 will get you much worse mileage than traditional gasoline, so you may actually be worse off after the change.

richardbbarger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJB
    You definitely need to decide what kind of driver you want to be before making your trim/engine decision. Once I decided I did not want another MT due to DC traffic I decide the 3.6 was best for my situation and the regular gas was a bonus. Now if I could just get a 2.0T/MT for the weekends....
    Um, GM would allow you to own two ATS's ...

:-)
    GJB likes this.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    E85 will get you much worse mileage than traditional gasoline, so you may actually be worse off after the change.
    If you do most of your driving around town and are retired (as I am) mpg is not a big factor. E85 will allow more hp as it cools the combustion chamber and allows more boost before timing gets pulled.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Considering the 3.6 is D/I and most premium grade gas use more detergent than regular or mid-grade, I'd be using 93, if I planned on keeping the car. Carbon buildup is a nasty thing. If you absolutely can't be bothered with a $150 premium on gas every year, at least make sure you get top-tier grade gas.
    M5eater, when you say "plan on keeping he car" how long were you thinking? I agree that top tier premium has the detergents and additives you do not get in the "value brands". I've also been told to switch between the brands because they use different additives and there are negatives to using the same brand all the time because even the additives can have some negative qualities. Too much of a good thing scenario. Does anyone have any info on that?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.