Regular vs. Premium Gas - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Regular vs. Premium Gas in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; There is an off the line difference. Even with winter blend, regular does not have the same throttle response. Experimented ...
    Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    There is an off the line difference. Even with winter blend, regular does not have the same throttle response. Experimented last month.
    celmem likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Re: Regular vs. Premium Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Someone posted lower power on a dyno. And that make sense since boost increases cylinder pressures to generate power. The higher the pressure, the more octane is needed to avoid detonation/knock. Regular can only be used because the car can sense the knock and reduce timing which reduces power.
    Exactly. That's why there are two primary main spark tables in the engine computer, the high octane table and the low octane. Just eyeballing it at WOT, the timing in the low octane table is 4* - 7* less than the high octane table.

So if you find the car isn't fast enough on regular, put premium in it.
    Conversely, if your car is too fast on regular, Hoosier Daddy will arrange to have your keys taken away and replaced by a set from a Prius.

But since no car can ever be fast enough, I have no first hand experience.
    The quest continues...
    celmem likes this.

celmem is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T

Once the roads clear I will experiment. In the meantime, premium for me. That little engine is impressive! Heck it's only slightly larger than my XR1200 lol

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

It's really not worth experimenting I mean, an engine retards boost and timing in times of lower octane this is a very certain thing and those two things will lower the output of the engine. I mean if you'd like to experiment than go for it but it's going to be hard to tell with a butt dyno, we'd need some proper measuring tools.

Yeah GM's LNF/LTG line is pretty impressive I just wish they'd get that stick outta there asses and offer a warranty approved stage kit like they did with the cobalt/sky/HHR/Solstice. They should have known that a large percentage of buyers would be getting that engine FOR the stage kit. Theirs no reason this engine cant be bumped to 300HP under warranty, the coupe/malibooboo already 290Tq

Well interestingly enough I sorta drive like the old man that I am. Of course, I will like to "step on" it occasionally. It's got to be more of a thrill than the 3.6 CTS. This is why I was asking for experiences here.

What about mid-grade? That's another one to throw into the mix here...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by celmem View Post
    Well interestingly enough I sorta drive like the old man that I am. Of course, I will like to "step on" it occasionally. It's got to be more of a thrill than the 3.6 CTS. This is why I was asking for experiences here.

What about mid-grade? That's another one to throw into the mix here...
    I would have said the effect would be midway between premium (91) and regular (87) until Ragtop seemed to imply there are two tables (high and low octane) the computer uses. If so, that would almost certainly make the effects of octane non-linear. If the computer did use the low octane table for mid range (and I have no idea how it decides which to use, possibly by recent knock sensor readings), then you might not get any benefit at all.

But it doesn't sound like it would make sense for you anyway if you rarely use WOT and are trying to save money. If you would be satisfied without premium you would almost 100% be just as satisfied without mid-grade.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

GM has had two tables for main spark going back to at least the late 1990s and the LS1 motor. I believe it is a knock learn function as they were not equipped with a dual fuel sensor.
    It will also default to the low octane table if detects certain problems. For example, if you unplug/disable the MAF, the car will switch to the low octane table.

The challenge with experimenting with different gas in your car is that it takes a little time once you reduce octane for the engine to react and switch to low octane. Once switched to low octane, it takes a while for the computer to check to see if it can switch back. I've seen corvette guys say it took 50 - 60 miles for it to reset. Others said several short trips, implying start & run cycles control. I have had no desire to do any more scientific testing on that issue.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. Thought you might get a kick out of this thing. This is were I get a real thrill (XR1200). But make no mistake, I didn't opt for the turbo to putt around. When I do, it's just babying the car is all...
    IMG_0734.JPG

Nice Harley. Did it come from the factory with external reservoir shocks?

Thanks. The shocks are not stock. Sorry to get of topic here but I've had many bikes in my life. This one is the most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by celmem View Post
    Thanks. The shocks are not stock. Sorry to get of topic here but I've had many bikes in my life. This one is the most impressive.
    Since you've had many, you might want to post in the motorcycle lovers thread. Here are mine: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3269267

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.