HVAC System Control Module Bulletin 13198 ?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HVAC System Control Module Bulletin 13198 ? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi Folks, I took my ATS in for its first oil change (love that GM can do this in an ...
    MotoDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium, 3.6L AWD

Question HVAC System Control Module Bulletin 13198 ?

Hi Folks,

I took my ATS in for its first oil change (love that GM can do this in an hour while I wait! BMW was three weeks for an appointment, and had to leave the car for the whole day!).

Anyway, during check-in, the service manager noted there was a recall on the HVAC control module. It was bulletin 13198. I didn't really notice any issues with the HVAC system. I did have that background ticking noise I've seen mentioned in a few posts on here, so thought that might be what this was for?

Any ideas? Nothing major, just curious and I forgot to ask what the purpose of the bulletin was.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I had mine in for another issue as well and he told me there was a recall or notice for something with the hvac system.....honestly I didn't ask any questions, just had them do what they had to do.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: HVAC System Control Module Bulletin 13198 ?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoDC View Post
    Hi Folks,

I took my ATS in for its first oil change (love that GM can do this in an hour while I wait! BMW was three weeks for an appointment, and had to leave the car for the whole day!).

Anyway, during check-in, the service manager noted there was a recall on the HVAC control module. It was bulletin 13198. I didn't really notice any issues with the HVAC system. I did have that background ticking noise I've seen mentioned in a few posts on here, so thought that might be what this was for?

Any ideas? Nothing major, just curious and I forgot to ask what the purpose of the bulletin was.
    no one i ask knows, my guess is since dealers didn't know about the tapping calibration for the HVAC module unless you ask them to look into it then they are told of its existence, that this might be the official rollout of that fix, with some minor tweaks......I had this done yesterday

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

#13198: Service Update for HVAC System Performance - (Jun 28, 2013)
    13198 — Service Update for HVAC System Performance – Expires with Base Warranty

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the HVAC system control module on certain 2013 model year Cadillac ATS and XTS vehicles to address multiple HVAC system performance issues.

The service procedure provided in this bulletin should be completed as soon as possible on involved ATS and XTS vehicles currently in dealer inventory. It should also be completed on involved ATS customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    #13198: Service Update for HVAC System Performance - (Jun 28, 2013)
    13198 — Service Update for HVAC System Performance – Expires with Base Warranty

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the HVAC system control module on certain 2013 model year Cadillac ATS and XTS vehicles to address multiple HVAC system performance issues.

The service procedure provided in this bulletin should be completed as soon as possible on involved ATS and XTS vehicles currently in dealer inventory. It should also be completed on involved ATS customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.
    the usage of the words "certain" and "multiple" is certainly uncertain at best if not downright mysterious, as I've said before, no one I ask knows

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yeah... that is very common for these bulletin/campaign/recall documents

if your dash clicking has gone away then you are one of the 'certain' few who benefited from the update
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Yeah... that is very common for these bulletin/campaign/recall documents

if your dash clicking has gone away then you are one of the 'certain' few who benefited from the update
    it certainly has gone away, but one thing is for certain the clicking went away with a HVAC re-calibration I got 6 weeks ago, so I'm uncertain as to whether or not the TSB I got yesterday was a cure......so much uncertainty in this campaign/bulletin/recall

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

I had software updates without success. The only cure for my tapping problem was to remove the whole dash and install felt washers on both ends of the mode actuator. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    I had software updates without success. The only cure for my tapping problem was to remove the whole dash and install felt washers on both ends of the mode actuator. Bert
    I'm sure the tapping is probably there, but what called attention to it was the regularity and rhythm of it, the re-calibration changed that and i haven't heard it since, at least not consciously, and i have no intention of sitting in my car staring at it until i do.

rblack77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium and SRX Luxury
    I had an issue that this fixed. I have to park my ATS outside in the Texas heat and when I'm packing up for the day, I use the OnStar app to start the car so it is cool inside by the time I get downstairs. The problem I had was that when I would get to the car and start it, the HVAC system would say it was on, but would be off and couldn't be turned on without turning the car off and opening the door to reset the system. The HVAC patch from Cadillac fixed this bug. Now it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by rblack77 View Post
    I had an issue that this fixed. I have to park my ATS outside in the Texas heat and when I'm packing up for the day, I use the OnStar app to start the car so it is cool inside by the time I get downstairs. The problem I had was that when I would get to the car and start it, the HVAC system would say it was on, but would be off and couldn't be turned on without turning the car off and opening the door to reset the system. The HVAC patch from Cadillac fixed this bug. Now it works perfectly.
    That's awesome, it's frustrating when a feature you enjoy calls attention to itself in a bad way, I love remote start too, i had it added to my car, the bummer is onstar app doesnt recognise the update

pathers is offline Cadillac Owners Member

*** IMPORTANT *** ANSWER: Greetings fellow ATS owners. I just brought my '13 ATS in for scheduled but I had a problem with the air blower for my A/C-Heater. I kept hearing (a very annoying) "flutter" sound. Eventually I determined it was the "DOORS" that control airflow, especially to the A/C Vents. Obviously these "DOORS" needed an extra strong force to better seal the door against the vent. Anyway, I had the software update and VOILA it is silent! Drive to your dealer and get the update NOW! One other thing, I also had another update for which I was experiencing issues of rough idle on 2.5L 4-cyl ENGINES. The car felt like the engine was lugging. Anyway, there's a fix for this. Have your dealer perform RECALL 13234 for an ECM REPROGRAM. It hasn't done it for the past 48 hours so I am hopeful. Hey folks, enjoy your Cadillac. I love mine!

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I had the HVAC CMB applied a while back. The problem it fixed for me was that different temps were coming out of the middle A/C vents, and very little cool out of the side vents.. The driver side was cool and the passenger side was warm. At least 6 months later, all continues to function properly.

katz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 AWD Luxury ATS

took mine to dealer again, added the HVAC again, and told Again that all fixes have been applied to my car
    but it STILL FRICKIN taps like a piece of shit car, ridiculous - you're telling me GM can't fix this problem? are the 2014s all doing this too, doubt it.

tahawk69 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Katz. What dealer are you taking your car to? Doesn't sound like you are happy with them. I just dropped mine off for service and wasn't overall thrilled with the experience, but hoping for the best. The service manager seemed like a decent guy to work with.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.