Pfadt Intake Installed
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Pfadt Intake Installed in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I received my new intake today and as soon as the car cooled installed it. Total time is less than ...
    mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Pfadt Intake Installed

I received my new intake today and as soon as the car cooled installed it. Total time is less than 25 minutes. Most of that is the usual stretching the hoses to fit over the intake. Nice neat install and will restrain myself to taking it out until tomorrow.
    Here's some pics of the finished product.
    Attached Images
    Groomie likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Pfadt Intake Installed

no cone filter? why just change that pipe? thats not even the most restrictive part, is there at least a highflow panel filter in there?

Groomie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven

Thumbs up Re: Pfadt Intake Installed

Awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear how you like it. I am in discussion with them right now on the CAI, down pipe, exhaust, new tune and a few other things. Just may take the leap to the 450 horse equipment. Looks great and I know you will enjoy. Great choice buddy.

GROOMIE

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    no cone filter? why just change that pipe? thats not even the most restrictive part, is there at least a highflow panel filter in there?
    Pfadt doesn't offer a cone filter yet. K&N doesn't offer a panel filter yet. The "tube" as you put it is less restrictive than the stock setup, so why not? I won't put on a cone filter that takes it's air supply from the engine compartment, much too warm. Using the stock airbox with a cone filter inside would be better, and I guess that's what Pfadt will have mid next month. Then I will get one.
    I already have Pfadt's dp but am waiting for turbo upgrades to be available to do both installs at the same time.

eric@pfadtracing.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Great question! The awesome thing about the stock ATS airbox is that it actually pulls 100% fresh air from outside of the engine bay. While we will offer an upgraded filter for even more air flow, the stock airbox is by far the best solution for most applications on the ATS. Our design works by virtually eliminating the multiple flow restrictions that are found in the OEM design between the airbox and the intake. By thoroughly studying the flow, we were able to design an intermediate pipe that transfers the cold air from outside the engine bay efficiently and seamlessly into the engine, with minimal losses. It actually does it as efficiently as a conical cold air mounted further away. I think the important thing to remember here though, is that these parts are meant to work together as a package. While we can talk about adding single components, I feel like we're not going anywhere by doing that. I say this because adding a single component isn't what we are after here. We're after true performance and actually increasing the driver's experience. True performance won't come from an individual component, not in the ATS at least, and in order to increase "performance" we need a complete system. While a single component can get you better peak numbers....peak HP doesn't measure things like "spool time" and other factors that are measured by the drivers experience when judging a "performance increase".

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    Pfadt doesn't offer a cone filter yet. K&N doesn't offer a panel filter yet. The "tube" as you put it is less restrictive than the stock setup, so why not? I won't put on a cone filter that takes it's air supply from the engine compartment, much too warm. Using the stock airbox with a cone filter inside would be better, and I guess that's what Pfadt will have mid next month. Then I will get one.
    I already have Pfadt's dp but am waiting for turbo upgrades to be available to do both installs at the same time.
    Mike-I'm really excited to hear back from you once you have all of the components installed. Give me a ring when you have a minute, I have a few questions for you.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Great question! The awesome thing about the stock ATS airbox is that it actually pulls 100% fresh air from outside of the engine bay. While we will offer an upgraded filter for even more air flow, the stock airbox is by far the best solution for most applications on the ATS. Our design works by virtually eliminating the multiple flow restrictions that are found in the OEM design between the airbox and the intake. By thoroughly studying the flow, we were able to design an intermediate pipe that transfers the cold air from outside the engine bay efficiently and seamlessly into the engine, with minimal losses. It actually does it as efficiently as a conical cold air mounted further away. I think the important thing to remember here though, is that these parts are meant to work together as a package. While we can talk about adding single components, I feel like we're not going anywhere by doing that. I say this because adding a single component isn't what we are after here. We're after true performance and actually increasing the driver's experience. True performance won't come from an individual component, not in the ATS at least, and in order to increase "performance" we need a complete system. While a single component can get you better peak numbers....peak HP doesn't measure things like "spool time" and other factors that are measured by the drivers experience when judging a "performance increase".
    In my old B5 S4, (with 250HP stock) the factory airbox sucked air right from the front grille (ie as good & cold as it gets), there was no need to upgrade until you started talking about larger charge pipes(5-600hp).

paper filters are not nearly as restrictive as people make them out to be. They just see the arbitrary 'flow' numbers and assume more= better. FYI the ATS uses the same paper element in the 556Hp CTS-V. It has plenty of flow.
    Rozay619 and Siren05 like this.

Pfadt Engineering is offline Authorized Vendor PLATINUM
    Automobile(s): The Pfadt ATS

Pfadt's High Flow CAI

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    In my old B5 S4, (with 250HP stock) the factory airbox sucked air right from the front grille (ie as good & cold as it gets), there was no need to upgrade until you started talking about larger charge pipes(5-600hp).

paper filters are not nearly as restrictive as people make them out to be. They just see the arbitrary 'flow' numbers and assume more= better. FYI the ATS uses the same paper element in the 556Hp CTS-V. It has plenty of flow.
    Well said. A lot of R&D goes into releasing these products - we've not only ensured that the components in our package are optimal in their own right, but we've also ensured that when they are combined in the P/350 package (Carbon CAI, Downpipe, and Tune), that they will work seamlessly together to create an entirely new experience for the ATS driver.

In other words, we refuse to take shortcuts, either in our manufacturing (which all takes place here, in-house, in the USA to maintain full control of the integrity of our design), or in our engineering designs. We strive for; the perfect fit the first time, second to none customer service and reliability, and an absolutely riveting driving experience - we will not make a single comprise in achieving those goals in any circumstance. You can rest assured that any one of our single components will take you to the exact destination that you had hoped for...and then take you so much further.

We're all excited to hear back from Mike when he has had some time to get out and enjoy his "new" ATS....
    Aaron Pfadt
    Pfadt Race Engineering
    888-972-2464
    www.pfadtracing.com
    info@pfadtracing.com

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

For those of us who don't want to change our cars as drastically and may want or need to change it back to stock configuration readily (such as people who are leasing), I wonder if the combo of the Pfadt carbon fiber intake tube and your tune would be effective? I love the esthetics of the carbon fiber intake and think a tune would complement it, but I don't think I would want the more major surgery of a new down pipe. I acknowledge what Pfadt says about all the components working together as a set, but as a lessee I am concerned about making changes that cannot be put back to stock easily.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Quote Originally Posted by miguelius View Post
    I love the esthetics of the carbon fiber intake and think a tune would complement it, but I don't think I would want the more major surgery of a new down pipe. I acknowledge what Pfadt says about all the components working together as a set, but as a lessee I am concerned about making changes that cannot be put back to stock easily.
    If you take a good look at the engine bay of the ATS and how the factory downpipe is put in, replacing it will be easy - I figure once you (or your favorite mechanic) have done it once, it's easy to do again as long as the bolts get treated well so they don't seize up. From the looks of it, pfadt's high flow cat won't weigh very much, making it super easy to slap in there.

I didn't lease - I bought - so I've got a powertrain warranty that the downpipe will not play friendly with.

On the Pfadt website, you can buy the intake and tune as a package without the downpipe.

rocco11189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mikesul what are your impressions so far now that you have had the intake on for almost a week?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by miguelius View Post
    For those of us who don't want to change our cars as drastically and may want or need to change it back to stock configuration readily (such as people who are leasing), I wonder if the combo of the Pfadt carbon fiber intake tube and your tune would be effective? I love the esthetics of the carbon fiber intake and think a tune would complement it, but I don't think I would want the more major surgery of a new down pipe. I acknowledge what Pfadt says about all the components working together as a set, but as a lessee I am concerned about making changes that cannot be put back to stock easily.
    From what I can see, R&R of this car's DP is cake. There's plenty of room everywhere. If you have 2hours and ramps you can change the down pipe in this car

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    I didn't lease - I bought - so I've got a powertrain warranty that the downpipe will not play friendly with.
    There's the rub: whether it's just a tune, a downpipe with a tune, or a revised intake with a tune, it probably voids the warranty if something goes wrong with the engine or drive train that is even arguably related to the modification. It's probably unlikely that it would ever come to pass, but it is a risk that has to be considered. It's even worse under a lease, because it does not just affect whether the damage is covered by warranty, but is also a breach of the lease.
    Which is one of the reasons it would be nice for Cadillac to come up with a special tune covered by warranty, as GM did with the Cobalt and Solstice on the older-generation engine.

rocco11189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pfadt can we purchase the intake as a standalone item without the tune?

DJinAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 RWD Perfomance

From what I have read about our engine the thing is built to race. Sodium filled valves, oil jets to spray the piston skirts, drop forged steel crank with cross drilled and chamfered oil passages, two stage variable displacement oil pump. I personally would not worry about the engine. The slush box on the other hand is a different story.

Just my 2 cents
    Siren05 likes this.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

A simple tune will void warranty.period.
    If you break something and have these parts revert back to stock and get it fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.