2013 ATS 2.0T Trunk Won't Open
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 ATS 2.0T Trunk Won't Open in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; While my wife was out with the car today, she put some things in the trunk, closed it, started the ...
    barlowc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD 6AT

2013 ATS 2.0T Trunk Won't Open

While my wife was out with the car today, she put some things in the trunk, closed it, started the vehicle, and began to drive away. She noticed a "Trunk Open" message in the center zone in the cluster display (i.e. under the speedometer), stopped the vehicle, and got out and checked; the trunk lid was closed.

Something seems to have malfunctioned because the trunk won't open. When pressing the button inside the driver's door, using the fob, or pressing the pad above the license plate there's a click, but the trunk lid remains closed tight. Given that I have the Standard model, there is no pass-through or fold-down seats, so I have no way of getting in there.

This is REALLY frustrating! My wife's purse, along with her visiting relative's, are both stuck in the trunk, along with some of the relative's medical supplies. I don't even have 2000 miles on the car and this is going to be it's second service visit. The first time it was in for 11 days because of a problem with the Infotainment system which required replacement of the radio module and center stack assembly.

----------

OP Update: I'd seen another thread on this issue and saw someone suggest pushing down on the trunk lid while opening it. Although I'd tried that before making my post, I decided to try again, this time pushing down harder. It opened!

What would cause this and why would the "Trunk Open" warning appear when it does? I've closed and opened the trunk a dozen times since and it works fine every time, but it has me nervous. I can see myself getting to work and not being able to get my laptop bag out, or worse, being on a road-trip and not being able to get my luggage out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: 2013 ATS 2.0T Trunk Won't Open

how wide is the gap along the bumper to the bottom of the trunk lid? I know at work sometimes when the 2014 Impala's come through, if the rubbers that space the trunk lid to the bumper are too high it creates a lot of pressure on the trunk latch and wont allow it to open.

if it seems fine to you (you cant stick a finger in there) check to see if you have a faulty latch, you could use a screw driver bar to simulate the striker bar, just stick it into the latch(with the trunk wide open of course) and click unlock and see if it releases the handle.

if you have no clue what I'm talking about then go to a dealer lol.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by barlowc View Post
    While my wife was out with the car today, she put some things in the trunk, closed it, started the vehicle, and began to drive away. She noticed a "Trunk Open" message in the center zone in the cluster display (i.e. under the speedometer), stopped the vehicle, and got out and checked; the trunk lid was closed.

Something seems to have malfunctioned because the trunk won't open. When pressing the button inside the driver's door, using the fob, or pressing the pad above the license plate there's a click, but the trunk lid remains closed tight. Given that I have the Standard model, there is no pass-through or fold-down seats, so I have no way of getting in there.

This is REALLY frustrating! My wife's purse, along with her visiting relative's, are both stuck in the trunk, along with some of the relative's medical supplies. I don't even have 2000 miles on the car and this is going to be it's second service visit. The first time it was in for 11 days because of a problem with the Infotainment system which required replacement of the radio module and center stack assembly.

----------

OP Update: I'd seen another thread on this issue and saw someone suggest pushing down on the trunk lid while opening it. Although I'd tried that before making my post, I decided to try again, this time pushing down harder. It opened!

What would cause this and why would the "Trunk Open" warning appear when it does? I've closed and opened the trunk a dozen times since and it works fine every time, but it has me nervous. I can see myself getting to work and not being able to get my laptop bag out, or worse, being on a road-trip and not being able to get my luggage out.
    Hello barlowc,

I apologize for the trunk malfunction you are experiencing with your vehicle. I am happy you were able to release the trunk and get your wife and visiting relative's belongings out. I understand your frustration with this situation and being nervous of possible future occurrences. If you are thinking about bringing your vehicle back to the dealer, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

Can't duplicate. Issue. No trouble found. Book it dano

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.