Limited Slip Differential
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Limited Slip Differential in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Do I have one on my car? 2013 2.0T RWD Luxury AUTOMATIC...
    CZ4
    CZ4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Limited Slip Differential

Do I have one on my car?

2013 2.0T RWD Luxury AUTOMATIC

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Re: Limited Slip Differential

Cadilac site shows it as available but I would check your window sticker. If you have it it will be listed.

http://www.cadillac.com/ats-luxury-s...equipment.html

CZ4

Never got a window sticker with my car.

Canadian site lists: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...ons#mechanical

Differential – Rear, limited-slip (RWD only) Optional
    7 - Included with available 6-speed manual transmission with 2.0L turbo only.
    8 - Included with 3.6L engine.

I've also read from numerous sources online stating all 2.0T RWD have the LSD, which contradicts the above.

Dealership don't know anything, so I won't bother asking them.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

It is only standard on the Premium Trim RWD cars so the statment that all 2.0T RWD have LSD is not consistant with the Cadillac site. Now could that option be included on all/most Canadian models because of reigon like heated seats seem to be on most models sold in the northern states, sure but it would still be an option. If you can't get a conformation you will find out first time you drive in mud or snow.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

All you have to do is look on your Rpo code sticker in the trunk for G80 if it has it then you have limited slip if it doesn't have then you don't have it

CZ4

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    If you can't get a conformation you will find out first time you drive in mud or snow.
    That's what I want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    All you have to do is look on your Rpo code sticker in the trunk for G80 if it has it then you have limited slip if it doesn't have then you don't have it
    Thanks, I'll take a look after work.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

when I was ordering my car I was told the LSD only came with the Manual or it comes on the PREMIUM level automatic

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Steve S is correct. LSD (the pavement-altering kind, not the mind-altering kind--ha, ha) is available on all manual transmission cars, including the base turbo, but on automatics it is only on the Premium RWD.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

^ and if you have a look here...

http://media.gm.ca/media/us/en/cadil.../ats/2013.html

On all Fe3 suspension models, A.F.A.I.K thats the MRC, which, is only available on the premo level.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    when I was ordering my car I was told the LSD only came with the Manual or it comes on the PREMIUM level automatic
    Both the 2.0T and 3.6, open or mechanical LSD, automatic or manual, use the same 3.27 gearing.

IE,

if you really want to make your parts counter happy, i'm sure it's simply a matter of direct swapping the pumpkins. I might do a visual inspection to verify the flanges are the same, but otherwise...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Both the 2.0T and 3.6, open or mechanical LSD, automatic or manual, use the same 3.27 gearing.

IE,

if you really want to make your parts counter happy, i'm sure it's simply a matter of direct swapping the pumpkins. I might do a visual inspection to verify the flanges are the same, but otherwise...
    Simple unless they also needed different sized drive shafts for the same reason they needed a bigger, stronger diff. Fingers crossed.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Simple unless they also needed different sized drive shafts for the same reason they needed a bigger, stronger diff. Fingers crossed.
    stronger diff?

I'm not aware of any differential differences.

pun intended.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

OK, this question is going to make me look stupid, but I thought traction control and stability control WERE limited slip differential. Clearly this is not the case, so what is the difference (not mechanical, operational.)

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown View Post
    OK, this question is going to make me look stupid, but I thought traction control and stability control WERE limited slip differential. Clearly this is not the case, so what is the difference (not mechanical, operational.)
    You can simulate limited slip with electronics, namely applying the brake on a spinning (fastest rotating) wheel. But The ATS does not have that and of course that way has its own up and down sides.

The LSD in the ATS is mechanical and I believe is a clutch pack type. Friction between the clutches has the effect of slowing down the faster spinning axle and speeding up the slower spinning axle.

What they call an electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD) is where the computer uses the rear brakes to simulate the function of a mechanical LSD. It uses the brakes to stop or slow the wheel with less traction, moving that torque to the other wheel through the open diff. This is what BMW uses in all cars that are not "M" series and I must say it works pretty well most of the time (I have done more than a dozen tracks days in my BMW but have not driven in snow or mud). However, if you utilize it a lot you will go through rear brakes faster than normal. Also, it's a "reactive" system, meaning that the wheel has to start slipping before the computer can start apply the brake to it. I have not seen a description of the type of mechanical LSD that Caddy uses in the ATS (e.g Torsen, clutch pack, ramp style, etc.).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.