installing a self-dimming rear-view mirror
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, installing a self-dimming rear-view mirror in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I recently purchased a new 2.0T Standard ATS which doesn't come with a self-dimming rear-view mirror. (I'm not sure why ...
    barlowc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD 6AT

installing a self-dimming rear-view mirror

I recently purchased a new 2.0T Standard ATS which doesn't come with a self-dimming rear-view mirror. (I'm not sure why the Standard doesn't come with one and all other trims do. It seems kind of silly for any Cadillac to have a manual-tilt mirror.) I will probably buy an aftermarket Gentex mirror (with HomeLink controls) to install myself, but am wondering if any of you guys can advise me on the electrical connection. I'll need to tap something that goes on/off with the vehicle and figure there has to be something appropriate in the roof console where the OnStar controls, map lights, and sunroof controls are at. I'm even wondering if there's a pre-wired pigtail up there since all the othertrims include a self-dimming mirror.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: installing a self-dimming rear-view mirror

I would pin my hopes on a pre-wired pigtail.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I would pin my hopes on a pre-wired pigtail.
    You WOULD, or WOULD NOT? I'm assuming the latter and that your reply omitted the "not".

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

there is no pig tails standard ats is not previred i installed the mirror but cannot get it to work properelly tapped in to map lights but not getting constant power

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    there is no pig tails standard ats is not previred i installed the mirror but cannot get it to work properelly tapped in to map lights but not getting constant power
    Is the mirror all self contained? I mean does it contain the sensors that tell it when to "dim"? If so, do you just need to run a power wire to it (not implying that is a trivial thing)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Is the mirror all self contained? I mean does it contain the sensors that tell it when to "dim"? If so, do you just need to run a power wire to it (not implying that is a trivial thing)?
    The Gentex w/ HomeLink + Compass that I bought is all self-contained. The harness just needs to be connected to a 12V supply.

romanats, the wires to the map lights may not be an appropriate choice. I would think those would have power all the time, and for the mirror, you just want something that goes on/off with the vehicle.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    I would lead to believe that you would need both 12v and ign.

12v for the home link
    Ign for the auto dimming feature

Did the stock mirror have any type of harness plugged into it?

----------

12v Color: red/gray (30A) Location:BCM behind glove box, blue 27 pin plug, pin 4

Ign Color: purple/black Location:BCM behind glove box, green 25 pin plug, pin 6

my mirror is auto dim only no home link can i tap in to onstar for 12 v power ?

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Although this is a little "ghetto," one could tap into the fuse box (left hand side of the dash) for the on/off connection and then run the wires up the A column, along the headliner to the mirror. See #30 - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3282593.

yes i know i can find power source in th efuze box but did not want to mess with A piller

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    What is the amperage on the onstar circuit?

i am not sure what the amperage but i did tap in to onstar power vire on my prevous car for map lights

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    yes i know i can find power source in th efuze box but did not want to mess with A piller
    Agreed that going directly into the overhead connections is the neatest way to do the install. I know you know your DIY stuff, but curious as to what you mean about messing with the A pillar? The wires do (should, if not too thick) tuck into the dash-A pillar-headliner easily enough so that they won't be seen...no need to remove the pillar.

i guess you are right the vire is thin could probably be done without removing a piller

In my experience, a typical Gentex self-dimming mirror (with or without compass) has a harness with 3 wires.

1) Ground
    2) Power... supplied by a switched source so that it only operates when the vehicle is on.
    3) Reverse... on/hot when the vehicle is in reverse, which disables the self-dimming feature when you're backing up.

In a typical aftermarket installation, and some factory ones, #3 isn't connected. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

If the mirror has HomeLink controls, there is a 4th wire, preferably connected to a constant power source. This allows the HomeLink controls to operate when the vehicle is off.

If the mirror also has a temperature readout, there will be a 5th wire that runs to a temperature sensor/probe.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find the wire that disables self-dimming when I put the vehicle in reverse. But I tend to believe that Ground, Switched Power, and Constant Power all have to be available to tap in the overhead console. I'm just hesitant to start prying that open in fear that I'm going to break a clip or something.

romanats... it sounds like you've already opened it up. Any tips?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.